PDA

View Full Version : Trying to gain weight but need calories other than healthy foods.

ApeXGains
07-12-2015, 12:07 PM
I am 22 years old, about 5'7 in height. right now I weigh about 145 pounds and I am an ectomorph by definition. I know I need about 3500 calories a day to start putting on weight, the only thing is I can't afford to buy the nutritional food I want to due to me being in school full-time and having very little time to work in between classes and studying. My question is am I better off just eating whatever I can get my hands on and trying to eat over 3500 calories a day, Or should I focus on just eating as healthiest as I can even though I know then I wont be making the 3500 calorie a day mark? Obviously I want to try and eat as healthy as possible but I also want to put on some weight as well.

Thanks for the advice guys!

magician27
07-12-2015, 12:20 PM
insufficient amount of calories whether healthy or unhealthy doesnt make you gain weight. eat nutrient dense foods as much as possible but do whatever it takes to meet your caloric goal

jackcarter372
07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I typical try and do 70% ''Healthy'' and 30% ''Less Healthy'' can you manage that?

If so you are not doing that bad, I personally feel this is fine

Welcome to some stick here guys if not many agree...

ShyGuyXS
07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
"Healthy" foods can include just about anything in moderation as part of a balanced nutrition plan. Are you thinking of whole food sources as opposed to others that are more processed? Processed foods are also okay - you're on the right track when you're meeting macronutrient and micronutrient needs with mainly whole foods, but you do not have to restrict your diet to only whole foods to be healthy and reach your goals.

Read: The Dirt On Clean Eating (http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/)

You can also attempt to eat calorie-dense meals and snacks more often. Try trail mix, dried fruit, nuts, PB+J sandwiches (with a glass of milk), casserole dishes, pizza, etc.

EjnarKolinkar
07-12-2015, 02:53 PM
IDK OP carbs are pretty cheap, sack of rice, potatoes, box of oatmeal, loaf of bread, bagels etc. Adding calories is not really that much of a soul searching issue.

Just get some more food and eat it. You can try to pick stuff in your budget that will help you hit your macros.