PDA

View Full Version : protein intake??

am777
07-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Is it 1-1.25 x Lb of total body weight or lean body weight I have seen to contradicting information in the sticky's

Mrpb
07-10-2015, 05:14 AM
For bulking 0.8 gram protein per lb of body weight is totally sufficient. You can eat more if you like.

For cutting: "Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3–3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness. "

Rebinho
07-10-2015, 06:10 AM
This is a discussion that so many people will have there different opinion on. I go usually go for 1g/lbs (2.2g/kg)

But i agree with poster above, atleast 0,8g, from what I've studied, that should be atleast for bulking

Mrpb
07-10-2015, 06:49 AM
This is a discussion that so many people will have there different opinion on. I go usually go for 1g/lbs (2.2g/kg)

Opinions are cool but keep in mind what I gave is what is supported by science. There's no scientific study that has shown that people gained more muscle with 1 gram per lb than with 0.8 gram per lb.

am777
07-10-2015, 07:00 AM
i guess this value is dependent on what you are doing as well?? I am cutting atm and I been taking aprox 1.25g per lb of total body weight only because i am trying to keep carbs low and i have to make my calories somewhere... most fats i eat are nuts and that has protein too!

Mrpb
07-10-2015, 07:27 AM
I am cutting atm and I been taking aprox 1.25g per lb of total body weight only because i am trying to keep carbs low and i have to make my calories somewhere... most fats i eat are nuts and that has protein too!

If it works for you it's fine. Personally I would rather keep carbs in the diet as they can help work out performance.

benh2
07-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Opinions are cool but keep in mind what I gave is what is supported by science. There's no scientific study that has shown that people gained more muscle with 1 gram per lb than with 0.8 gram per lb.

Yep.

I always aim for 1g/lb personally because some days I can't be meticulous with my food choices and 1g/lb proves hard to hit in the end. 0.8g/lb as a minimum is always achievable.

psalms1441
07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Opinions are cool but keep in mind what I gave is what is supported by science. There's no scientific study that has shown that people gained more muscle with 1 gram per lb than with 0.8 gram per lb.mrpb, i know you are really into the science stuff, which is cool, but in all these studies, do we know all the variables that go into them like:

1. age
2. years of training
3. training program
4. intensity of the trainees
5. accuracy of the trainees protein intake

also, if they do know these things, how do we know for sure?

Im not trying to be an idiot i promise. As you know, Im not into the science stuff, I dont read any scientific studies anything nutrition or fitness wise, or even supplements. Only on overall health, body mechanics ect.

loganhart
07-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Information Sources and Sites (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132544743)

Mrpb
07-10-2015, 10:01 AM
also, if they do know these things, how do we know for sure?

Science has many limitations. We know nothing for sure. But in all these years in so many studies 0.8 gram protein per lb was always totally sufficient for building muscle.

We have to keep in mind though, protein has other functions too. So nothing wrong with eating more, it could be beneficial in other ways.

As a starting point I like to give people 0.8 gram per lb. More is optional. Find out what works for you.

psalms1441
07-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Science has many limitations. We know nothing for sure. But in all these years in so many studies 0.8 gram protein per lb was always totally sufficient for building muscle.

We have to keep in mind though, protein has other functions too. So nothing wrong with eating more, it could be beneficial in other ways.

As a starting point I like to give people 0.8 gram per lb. More is optional. Find out what works for you.i must say........that was an excellent answer!:)