PDA

View Full Version : Trying to bulk for the first time...could use some advice.

ndcotton
07-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Hello. About six months ago I decided it was time to get in shape and did a full 3 months of P90x, both the recommended diet and exercise. I lost almost 30 pounds, and am now interested in moving from weight loss to bulking up. I have an exercise regiment set and ready to go, I am just having some trouble with the diet side of things. I am 5'6" and 160 pounds. I would still like to lose around 10 pounds of body fat, but I assume that will start coming off as I diet and exercise regularly. I have searched all over the place for how many calories I should be intaking as well as the protein/carb ratio I should be shooting for but am getting mixed answers across the board so I figured it was time to get some advice for my specific situation. As well as how much I should be eating, if anyone has any advice as far as quick easy meals that fit into my diet it would be much appreciated as I have limited time to cook (with the exception of dinner) between working out, college, and work. Here is a rough idea as to the types of food I am currently looking at for meals. Please feel free to recommend anything I am leaving out!

Breakfast:
Cottage cheese
Greek Yogurt
Whole grain bagels
Oatmeal
Fruit
(Would like to add eggs, but I have an intolerance and they make me sick. Any good protein substitutions?)

Post-workout drink:
1/2 cup of rolled oats
1 banana
1 scoop whey protein powder
Water

Lunch:
Chicken Breast
Tuna/Fish
Quinoa/Brown or Wild Rice
Vegetables/Salad
Fruit

Dinner:
Chicken Breast
Lean beef
Fish
Quinoa/Brown or Wild Rice
Vegetables/Salad

Like I said, not really much to go on, mostly a general guideline as far as what I can choose between. I would love any feedback I can get. Thanks!

Gxp23
07-09-2015, 05:53 PM
calories, macros?

ndcotton
07-09-2015, 06:00 PM
As of right now, I have been eating around 2400 calories a day but have not noticed a whole lot of improvement. I am not sure I am eating enough, but I do not want to gain the weight back that I lost. If it helps, I am doing strength training 4 times a week for 1-1 1/2 hours and cardio for 1 hour twice a week.

Gxp23
07-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Well you are bulking, the idea is you gain weight.

tucci420
07-09-2015, 06:04 PM
As of right now, I have been eating around 2400 calories a day but have not noticed a whole lot of improvement. I am not sure I am eating enough, but I do not want to gain the weight back that I lost. If it helps, I am doing strength training 4 times a week for 1-1 1/2 hours and cardio for 1 hour twice a week.

If you aren't gaining weight from eating 2400 calories then you need to eat more. Try 2600 and track your weight. If after 2 weeks you still haven't gained anything then go up to 2800 and ect. Aim to gain 2-3 pounds per month.

ndcotton
07-09-2015, 06:07 PM
My bad, I meant the body fat that I lost. I am aware I will be gaining weight. I am just not sure as to how much I should be eating, including the amount of carbs/protein that I need, in order to build muscle mass without regaining body fat.

determined4000
07-09-2015, 06:09 PM
you should be cutting not bulking

cut down then post this in a few weeks or months