PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand how soccer leagues work?

tng83
07-05-2015, 06:27 AM
So there are 2 major leagues in Europe? And 1 in the US? But where do national teams fit in? Is it kinda like golf?

CroForce
07-05-2015, 07:01 AM
FZ4i3KX2CW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4i3KX2CW4

Also, every club has its own youth academy, so there are no drafts like in the US.

Rebounds45
07-05-2015, 07:40 AM
FZ4i3KX2CW4

Also, every club has its own youth academy, so there are no drafts like in the US.

adding to this, national teams play in the World Cup, as well as in the cup of their own continents.

so there's the Asian Cup, Copa America, Euro, etc..., and then the World Cup.

Players are also chosen into their national teams to play in friendly matches, and qualifying matches for those cups. These games run during the domestic league season, that's why there's a period called the 'international break' some time during the season.

Other football brahs pls fix or clarify any mistakes I made ITP lol

MCFC1990
07-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Every country in the world has a domestic league, for example in England you have the premier league, Germany have the Bundesliga etc. The majority of the league systems have a relegation system so if you finish in the bottom three in the premier league you are relegated to the championship.

Each country also has domestic cup competitions running parallel to the league season, so in England every team in the country can compete in the Fa Cup (oldest cup competition in the world). There is also the league cup which every team in the top four divisions enter.

Then there is the champions league where the best teams in every European league play against eachother. You also have the Europa league. Different continents have there own versions for example you have the african champions league, CONCACAF Champions League for north american teams etc.

International teams choose the best players who are playing around the world from that country. Then they compete in the world cup and there are also tournments involving just countries from there own continent e.g european championship, copa america, gold cup, african cup of nations.

HoustonMiscer
07-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Mirin OP actually trying to learn instead of trolling and hating

moonfarious
07-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Every country in the world has a domestic league, for example in England you have the premier league, Germany have the Bundesliga etc. The majority of the league systems have a relegation system so if you finish in the bottom three in the premier league you are relegated to the championship.

Each country also has domestic cup competitions running parallel to the league season, so in England every team in the country can compete in the Fa Cup (oldest cup competition in the world). There is also the league cup which every team in the top four divisions enter.

Then there is the champions league where the best teams in every European league play against eachother. You also have the Europa league. Different continents have there own versions for example you have the african champions league, CONCACAF Champions League for north american teams etc.

International teams choose the best players who are playing around the world from that country. Then they compete in the world cup and there are also tournments involving just countries from there own continent e.g european championship, copa america, gold cup, african cup of nations.

strong first post. repped

jbball92
07-05-2015, 11:33 AM

to add...

the Champions league and Europa league can be compared to the NCAA tourney and NIT of college basketball respectively (if translated to professional sports of course)

AdamOm
07-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Its not like basketball where teams play their own regular season and in the summer they have a tournament while the pro league is in off season. In Soccer, multiple seasons, tournaments, etc are played during the same time frame.

You play games within your own league on a weekly basis or so.

You play group stage games in any club tournaments you are a part of. They have a few different tournament levels so there are a lot of trophies to go around in soccer.

Some of your players also leave to play international games periodically throughout the season. So every once in a while you dont hav a t op player on your squad because he is in the qualifier for your country.

Basically they just have everything going on during the same time.

The NBA could do something like this and have international tournaments throughout the year.

aresman1221
07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
just to add up.

Some countries , apart from the local league, also has a cup tournament.

So for example in England they have the Premier League (domestic league) and the FA Cup.

slinginmango
07-05-2015, 03:57 PM
each country has its own domestic league, there's a few good ones. england's premier league is probably the one you've heard of the most. germany, spain, italy, france also have big domestic leagues

each league will crown its own winner (one with the best record, not by a playoff). think of each different league being the ACC, SEC, etc.

then there's a playoff between the best teams of each league (champions league) which is basically the CFP/march madness

players on domestic teams will also play for their international teams, in international tournaments (which often occur at the same time as the domestic league season for whatever reason)

domestic leagues will also have random ass tournaments during the domestic season, like the FA cup in england, which is also pretty important.

it's pretty simple but weird.

Hardcore_D00d
07-05-2015, 03:57 PM
we need relegated system for nba. damn bottom feeders been at the bottom too long

BootneckBrah
07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
we need relegated system for nba. damn bottom feeders been at the bottom too long

Lol.

So if you're the worst team in the league, you just stay in that league?

What's the point in competing to stay in the top league, if you're still going to be there next year regardless?

Hardcore_D00d
07-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Lol.

What's the point in competing to stay in the top league, if you're still going to be there next year regardless?

thats why there are teams like the 76ers that tank every year trying to hit the jackpot in the draft.

tng83
07-05-2015, 04:07 PM

This seems so complicated. How is Ronaldo, for example, supposed to play in the Premier League, then make it to World Cup qualify matches, then wind up playing the Champs League? What league is the most prestigious and what is the most prized tourney/match in the world? World Cup?

If the NFL played world torunaments or the Olympics I'd care much less about the gold than I would the Lombardi Trophy.

BootneckBrah
07-05-2015, 04:07 PM
thats why there are teams like the 76ers that tank every year trying to hit the jackpot in the draft.

Was not aware.

Wow.

So how do they decide which teams get to be NBA teams, and which will always be minor league teams?

Sounds like a raw deal

tng83
07-05-2015, 04:09 PM
each country has its own domestic league, there's a few good ones. england's premier league is probably the one you've heard of the most. germany, spain, italy, france also have big domestic leagues

each league will crown its own winner (one with the best record, not by a playoff). think of each different league being the ACC, SEC, etc.

then there's a playoff between the best teams of each league (champions league) which is basically the CFP/march madness

players on domestic teams will also play for their international teams, in international tournaments (which often occur at the same time as the domestic league season for whatever reason)

domestic leagues will also have random ass tournaments during the domestic season, like the FA cup in england, which is also pretty important.

Where does MLS fall into the spectrum? Does the team that wins the MLS also compete with teams in Europe?

tng83
07-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Was not aware.

Wow.

So how do they decide which teams get to be NBA teams, and which will always be minor league teams?

Sounds like a raw deal

The NBA would have to decide.to expand the league to include minor league teams. Otherwise they are like feeder teams for the pros. This happens in baseball more than basketball though.

Spill512
07-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Posting to read later.

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM

the CL still has group stage so it's not straight elimination from the get-go.

to put context to what others have said:

club competition:
-domestic LEAGUE (i.e. only regular season. no playoff) Example: English Premier League, Spanish La Liga
-domestic CUP (i.e. straight elimination, like tennis). there can be more than one CUP domestically with different qualifying criteria. Example: FA Cup, Copa del Rey
-continental league (i.e. group stage/round robin then playoff). this is the cream of the crop from multiple domestic leagues. Example: UEFA champions league. the UCL is the crown jewel of club competition, the standard of play is even higher than in the world cup.

international competition:
-friendlies (zero stakes)
-qualifiers (matches played to see who gets to play in the next tournament, included in ranking)
-continental cups (teams that qualify play group stages then playoff) Example: Copa America. these are generally held once every 4 years like the recent copa america & the euro next year. only teams within the same governing body play in each tournament
-intercontinental cups: (group stage between qualifiers, then knockout rounds) the world cup, the confederation cup

timeline: domestic league, cup & continental leagues are all played in parallel with each other. league games are generally in the weekend and cup/continental games are played in the middle of the week. the season generally lasts from late september to late may, with cup finals played in early june.

international friendlies & qualifiers are generally also played mid-season, during a break in the club competitions.

international competitions are generally played in June-July, when domestic competition is in the off-season.

tng83
07-05-2015, 04:15 PM
FZ4i3KX2CW4

Interesting. I dont get how Barcelona is okay with Messi risking injury to play in other matches.

newtothelift
07-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Lol.

Probs why US fans are so so fickle because nothing actually bad can ever occur. I reckon all the losers got medals on sports day too

Rebounds45
07-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Where does MLS fall into the spectrum? Does the team that wins the MLS also compete with teams in Europe?

MLS teams cant qualify for the Champions League lol. Unless North America has its own similar competition as well? There's one for South American clubs which is called Copa Libertadores.

Interesting. I dont get how Barcelona is okay with Messi risking injury to play in other matches.

Yeah, that's the risk clubs have to face. It sucks even more if they get injured in an international friendly

HumptyBrah
07-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Was not aware.

Wow.

Sounds like a raw deal
Our four major sports leagues are all pretty much set up the same way. There are 30 teams (32 in the NFL) who battle for a playoff spot (16 in the NBA and NHL; 12 in the NFL; "10," but really 8, in MLB), with the ultimate aim of winning the championship. If a team sucks, they don't get "relegated," they just suck. Which I can tell you, having been a fan of some ****ty teams, is not a great feeling.

What people are referring to as "tanking" is when a team knows it won't be competitive, so they do poorly on purpose to improve their draft position in the next draft. Our drafts are generally set up in reverse order of the previous season's standings, so the worst teams usually get the pick of the best prospects. This is done to help create more balance among teams. Tanking is controversial and is frowned upon by all leagues, and miscers accuse teams of doing it way too often, but it does happen.

As for minor leagues, the NBA, NHL, and MLB do each have minor league systems. Every team has one or more minor league teams below them for the development of prospects. But a team won't get relegated to the minor leagues, it doesn't work that way. However, the way the draft is set up, ****ty teams generally don't stay ****ty. Some do, of course, but there is ample opportunity to turn things around quickly.

Probs why US fans are so so fickle because nothing actually bad can ever occur. I reckon all the losers got medals on sports day too
lol wut

P51
07-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Wtf so let me get this straight each country has 2 champions, one a standard point system and a tournament? That's fuken stupid. Then you have continent tournament and then world? All in one year?

HumptyBrah
07-05-2015, 04:39 PM
MLS teams cant qualify for the Champions League lol. Unless North America has its own similar competition as well? There's one for South American clubs which is called Copa Libertadores.
MLS is somewhat of a joke internationally, correct? But it's gaining ground from my understanding.

Upshall18
07-05-2015, 04:47 PM
How soccer works:

Are you Japanese?
No
???
Profit

MLS is somewhat of a joke internationally, correct? But it's gaining ground from my understanding.

Pretty much. A lot of the guys from Europe come over here when they're on their last legs cause the MLS throws a lot of money at them. They don't even take it seriously when they come over here and still are some of the better players in the MLS

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Wtf so let me get this straight each country has 2 champions, one a standard point system and a tournament? That's fuken stupid. Then you have continent tournament and then world? All in one year?

one league champ and one cup champ yes. then a continental champ yes. that's called the "treble" if you can do it all in one year, barcelona just did it for a second time in 6 years which is HUGE, seeing as the spanish domestic competition is head and shoulders above everybody else right now.

world competitions are generally every 4 years though but yeah the other stuff is all happening at the same time.

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 04:53 PM

it's a joke from a broadcasting/commentary but the standard of play is definitely increasing. the increasing revenue means the league can viably start paying for superstars from europe in the twilight of their careers a la frank lampard & steven gerrard.

the USMNT also showed up big time in the last world cup so as far as i'm aware there is a lot of exciting things happening for soccer in the USA, which is only a good thing. apart from the big teams in france/italy like PSG & juventus, a lot of people are saying the top MLS teams could compete with the middle of the pack from ligue 1 & serie A

P51
07-05-2015, 04:59 PM
it's a joke from a broadcasting/commentary but the standard of play is definitely increasing. the increasing revenue means the league can viably start paying for superstars from europe in the twilight of their careers a la frank lampard & steven gerrard.

the USMNT also showed up big time in the last world cup so as far as i'm aware there is a lot of exciting things happening for soccer in the USA, which is only a good thing. apart from the big teams in france/italy like PSG & juventus, a lot of people are saying the top MLS teams could compete with the middle of the pack from ligue 1 & serie Ahow does women's soccer work? Same as mens?

HumptyBrah
07-05-2015, 05:00 PM

the USMNT also showed up big time in the last world cup so as far as i'm aware there is a lot of exciting things happening for soccer in the USA, which is only a good thing. apart from the big teams in france/italy like PSG & juventus, a lot of people are saying the top MLS teams could compete with the middle of the pack from ligue 1 & serie A
I read an article the other day talking about this. My local MLS team just opened a brand-new state of the art stadium (small by European standards though) and a lot of MLS teams are doing the same, when typically they've just shared stadiums with college/NFL teams. Stadiums are expensive as **** to build, especially dedicated ones, so the league is flourishing financially.

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 05:12 PM
how does women's soccer work? Same as mens?

yep, basically the same structure. i think there are less teams in each league though. i know real madrid doesn't have a womens team yet.

the USWNT is currently 4-2 up against japan in the world cup final. hottest team BY FAR.

edit: they just scored again, so 5-2 up. one of the US goals was scored from inside her own half! carli lloyd had a hatrick within 15 minutes lol

link to the goal here: https://vine.co/v/en7BU0wTvwe

Muniain
07-05-2015, 05:24 PM
MLS teams always get raped by Mexican teams in the CONCACAF Champions League(the Champions League for North and Central America teams and Caribbean).

JustaQuestion
07-05-2015, 05:32 PM
I'll make it simple.

You have your league games (played on the weekend)

The top teams in europe play in the Champions League (which is basically the World Cup for club competition) which is played mid-week (Tuesday and Wednesday nights). They are in groups of 4 so you play 6 matches then there's like a 2 month break before playoffs (top 16)

Then you also have international breaks during the season (usually for a week or 2) where the players will go play for their countries in matches to make the world cup or euro cup.

Then on top of having your league competition there is also a knockout cup competition that comprises of not only the division 1 teams but also teams from the lower leagues which is actually exciting because those lower tier teams play their hearts out in those matches and their fans make an awesome atmosphere to try and push their team past the big boys

All the top players in the world want to play in the champions league

Top Leagues in Europe are:

English Premier League
La Liga (Spanish league)
Bundesliga (German League)
French League
Seria A (Italian)

followed by countries like Turkey, Portugal, Ukraine, Russia, Greece etc

tng83
07-05-2015, 07:02 PM
It sounds so complicated. I dont even inderstand how baseball fans keep track of teams because of how many games they play. I couldnt imagine playing tons of games but also following numerous leagues.

HumptyBrah
07-05-2015, 07:39 PM
i used to think that, but then i realized this.

think of all the leagues we follow. nfl and nba, nhl maybe, mlb maybe, college football, college basketball, college baseball, mls, maybe f1 or nascar, and so on. we keep up with a LOT of leagues in north america.

europe only keeps up with soccer for the most part, but there's so many leagues that it's basically no different from your favorite 3-4 sports in america or whatever.
I think what people are having trouble with is how one sport can have so many leagues and teams playing in multiple leagues concurrently. The 49ers aren't gonna play the Seahawks on Sunday and then go play the Argonauts on Thursday.

slinginmango
07-05-2015, 08:01 PM
I think what people are having trouble with is how one sport can have so many leagues and teams playing in multiple leagues concurrently. The 49ers aren't gonna play the Seahawks on Sunday and then go play the Argonauts on Thursday.

Think of soccer as a mix of 3 sports, college basketball, nba basketball, and international basketball

nba (aka domestic) is just teams playing for the best possible standings so they have the highest seed going into the playoffs. soccer does the same except domestic leagues don't have a playoff. they declare one winner based on standings, so golden state won because they had the best record for example

but how do you decide the best team? this is their NBA playoffs since the best team might not be the highest seeded team. lord knows atlanta wasn't the best team in the east this year. so you have a domestic league to determine most consistent but a domestic tournament to determine actual best team, so golden state won again since they beat people in a playoff format. the cool thing about soccer is here, your seahawks vs argonauts example is perfectly realistic in your domestic tournaments. the best teams commonly play the lower league teams in the early rounds of the tournament, which is just cool as fuk.

but your league could be the soccer version of the NBA's eastern conference, so how do you compare it to other leagues?

in comes college basketball. the annual champions league is no different from march madness. the highest seeded teams and domestic tournament winners from each league (or CBB conference) play each other to determine the best in the country (well in the continent)

then instead of having international soccer being in the olympics, you have it during the season. so every 4 years or so, players will go join their national teams in the middle of the season to play against their continents, or of course every 4 years for the world cup.

pretty simple, just confusing when you compare it to 1 sport and then you end up thinking what the fuk is going on

also mirin that you know about the argos. would bet 99% of americans couldn't name a cfl team

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Think of soccer as a mix of 3 sports, college basketball, nba basketball, and international basketball

nba (aka domestic) is just teams playing for the best possible standings so they have the highest seed going into the playoffs. soccer does the same except domestic leagues don't have a playoff. they declare one winner based on standings, so golden state won because they had the best record for example

but how do you decide the best team? this is their NBA playoffs since the best team might not be the highest seeded team. lord knows atlanta wasn't the best team in the east this year. so you have a domestic league to determine most consistent but a domestic tournament to determine actual best team, so golden state won again since they beat people in a playoff format. the cool thing about soccer is here, your seahawks vs argonauts example is perfectly realistic in your domestic tournaments. the best teams commonly play the lower league teams in the early rounds of the tournament, which is just cool as fuk.

but your league could be the soccer version of the NBA's eastern conference, so how do you compare it to other leagues?

in comes college basketball. the annual champions league is no different from march madness. the highest seeded teams and domestic tournament winners from each league (or CBB conference) play each other to determine the best in the country (well in the continent)

then instead of having international soccer being in the olympics, you have it during the season. so every 4 years or so, players will go join their national teams in the middle of the season to play against their continents, or of course every 4 years for the world cup.

pretty simple, just confusing when you compare it to 1 sport and then you end up thinking what the fuk is going on

also mirin that you know about the argos. would bet 99% of americans couldn't name a cfl team

this is a pretty decent analogy.

except the best team is the winner of the league and noone really gives two fuks about the domestic cups if the team played poorly in the season. everyone knows bayern is the best team in the bundesliga, and noone outside of wolfsburg gives two fuks about the pokal. dortmund fans were making noise after they knocked bayern out but went pretty quiet after the final lol

BootneckBrah
07-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Our four major sports leagues are all pretty much set up the same way. There are 30 teams (32 in the NFL) who battle for a playoff spot (16 in the NBA and NHL; 12 in the NFL; "10," but really 8, in MLB), with the ultimate aim of winning the championship. If a team sucks, they don't get "relegated," they just suck. Which I can tell you, having been a fan of some ****ty teams, is not a great feeling.

What people are referring to as "tanking" is when a team knows it won't be competitive, so they do poorly on purpose to improve their draft position in the next draft. Our drafts are generally set up in reverse order of the previous season's standings, so the worst teams usually get the pick of the best prospects. This is done to help create more balance among teams. Tanking is controversial and is frowned upon by all leagues, and miscers accuse teams of doing it way too often, but it does happen.

As for minor leagues, the NBA, NHL, and MLB do each have minor league systems. Every team has one or more minor league teams below them for the development of prospects. But a team won't get relegated to the minor leagues, it doesn't work that way. However, the way the draft is set up, ****ty teams generally don't stay ****ty. Some do, of course, but there is ample opportunity to turn things around quickly.

Excellent explanation.

Tfw on RC.

Would you not prefer a relegation system rather than a draft?

I suppose it all sort of works out the same in the end,

As I assume chit players get sent to minor league teams.

HumptyBrah
07-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks, repped

Excellent explanation.

Tfw on RC.

Would you not prefer a relegation system rather than a draft?

I suppose it all sort of works out the same in the end,

As I assume chit players get sent to minor league teams.
I don't know how it works over there but with our leagues, relegating a team would essentially guarantee it to go bankrupt. Our pro teams all have annual expenses in the nine digits when you factor in players, coaches, bills, hundreds of random employees, etc. They can cover those expenses because the leagues make billions and they spread that revenue around to the teams pretty evenly. If a team were to be relegated, they would lose out on probably most of their income. A relegation would in essence be a death sentence.

I haven't looked at the figured so idk if I'm just talking out of my ass but with the information I'm privy to, that's how I see it.

wifestealer
07-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I don't know how it works over there but with our leagues, relegating a team would essentially guarantee it to go bankrupt. Our pro teams all have annual expenses in the nine digits when you factor in players, coaches, bills, hundreds of random employees, etc. They can cover those expenses because the leagues make billions and they spread that revenue around to the teams pretty evenly. If a team were to be regulated, they would lose out on probably most of their income. A relegation would in essence be a death sentence.

I haven't looked at the figured so idk if I'm just talking out of my ass but with the information I'm privy to, that's how I see it.

yeah you're right, a relegation out of the NBA where the team sees no more shared income would more or less be a death sentence to an extent.

how teams in the european soccer leagues survive is often through the firesale of players. it makes no sense for kobe bryant to be in the d-league right? but if the NBA had a relegation system, that would have happened. so in the case where that happens in soccer, teams can sell players for cold hard cash. this is the buyout clauses in player contracts. the money doesn't go to the player it goes to the club. when real madrid bought gareth bale off tottenham, he went for 85 million EUROS (tottenham didn't get relegated but you can see how they can use the transfer fee to help continue operations). his actual salary is much less than that. this is another reason why champions league play is at a much higher level than international play, it really is the best of the best.

this is why teams with HUGE ownership backing can dominate for decades in soccer but not in the NBA - they just wait for emerging talent and buy the player off the club. there is some financial fair play rules in soccer but nowhere near the extent of hard salary caps or caps with penalty taxes. imagine if the nets could buy any player they wanted for the right price. prokhorov has bottomless pockets and would put a starting 5 of curry, harden, durant, lebron & AD with a bench of cp3, griffin etc. lol

MCFC1990
07-06-2015, 04:52 AM
This seems so complicated. How is Ronaldo, for example, supposed to play in the Premier League, then make it to World Cup qualify matches, then wind up playing the Champs League? What league is the most prestigious and what is the most prized tourney/match in the world? World Cup?

If the NFL played world torunaments or the Olympics I'd care much less about the gold than I would the Lombardi Trophy.

This an example of the schedule for Madrid

Weekend - league game

Mid week - CL match

Weekend - league game

Mid week - Copa del ray (domestic cup)

Weekend - league game

Then there are international breaks where either friendlies or qualifying for the world cup or european championship are played. There is around four international breaks during the season

All varies from league to league. Some countries like Germany have a winter break where they have no games during mid december till mid January while in England that is where the schedule in busiest with teams playing three games in a week

I'm sure most players would say the world cup is the trophy they would all like to win but in England I would say most fans prefer club over country. I would rather see my team win the league than see England win the world cup for example. Tbh I couldnt really give a **** about international football.

Biggest leagues in Europe are in Spain, England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France.

MCFC1990
07-06-2015, 04:59 AM
The team that finishes top of the league are the champions

Cups competitions which run alongside the league are important but the league is the main target. Also got to keep in mind that most club will never have a chance to challenge for the main league title so cup competitions give them a chance of silverware.

rhyfelwr
07-06-2015, 05:28 AM
It sounds so complicated. I dont even inderstand how baseball fans keep track of teams because of how many games they play. I couldnt imagine playing tons of games but also following numerous leagues.

Generally unless you're a super dedicated fan you don't often follow entire leagues just individual teams. For example the average fan usually just follows their national league and maybe the top tier teams in other leagues like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

CroForce
07-06-2015, 05:35 AM
Cup winners aren't national champions, it's just a tournament that allows smaller clubs to compete with the best.

Champions League > National league > National cup

Antonio519
07-06-2015, 05:50 AM

Yeah kinda, but not really. being the league champ (the actual champions of the country) is more important than the cup champ

sometimes it's the same team that wins them all for example barca

won the cup, the league and the champions league last yr