PDA

View Full Version : Overall help required. Am I doing it right?

Vjane881
07-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi. I have started doing some weight training to help with muscle building to loose the dreaded belly fat. I am 40 and female, weigh 56kg. I have been doing weights for approx 6 weeks.
My diet is breakfast -bacon, nuts and berries. I then have 3 other meals thru the day which consist of either red meat, pork or chicken with veg..sometimes salad.
I havent been eating fruit (except berries) or carbs. Have a couple of cheat meals on Saturday. The only dairy I have is the milk to mix my protein shakes.
I go to gym 4 times a week, my workout goes for approx 45 min.
I have a whey protein shake before my workout and again after. I have a castein protein shake when going to bed.

Any suggestions? Can I have sweet potato and if so when thru the day can I eat it. Cheese? Fruit? What else can I eat.

Thx every one

TravisSTraining
07-01-2015, 03:59 PM
read the stickies. I think they will help you a lot. This is a loaded question but cliff notes:

1) you cannot pinpoint just losing "belly fat". Focus on losing fat overall and it will eventually dissipate.
2) Meal timing will be irrelevant when focusing on body composition. Just eat when you like
3) Find your maintenance calorie level and eat below it.

Brozef
07-01-2015, 04:56 PM

I quoted it three times because this is the answer to weight loss. It's not WHAT you eat, it's how many calories you eat.

There are plenty of online calculators that will tell you how many calories to eat at your current weight to stay that weight (maintenance calories). Eat less than that to lose weight (start with a couple hundred calories less). You need to eat this way everyday. Eat less as your weight decreases. It takes time, determination and discipline.

Counting calories is a pain but it works. It will get easier when you are used to it.

ShyGuyXS
07-01-2015, 07:38 PM
To add to the advice already given, you can include any and all of the foods you enjoy in your diet on a regular basis, provided you consistently stay in a slight net caloric deficit.

Refer to the following stickies for more information:

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183) - For determining your estimated caloric needs and how to set up macros.
Nutrition for Newbies (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851) - Basic information on nutrition.
DCA (Discretionary Calorie Allowance) (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471) - Talks about how "discretionary" calories (after meeting fat and protein minimums) can be used to give you flexibility and allow you to eat foods you enjoy while still satisfying your nutrient and caloric goals.

------

On a side note, I'm curious: What is your current height? 56kg is roughly 123lbs, so you may not really need to lose weight and want to instead focus on building muscle - your height would help make a point of reference for which path would be best for you.

Vjane881
07-02-2015, 01:14 PM
On a side note, I'm curious: What is your current height? 56kg is roughly 123lbs, so you may not really need to lose weight and want to instead focus on building muscle - your height would help make a point of reference for which path would be best for you.[/QUOTE]

Thx ShyGuyXS. I shall have a look at those articles. You are correct, I am happy with my weight, just need to burn of the fat. My height is 162cm. Which I think is 5' 3" ???