PDA

View Full Version : Getting a podgy stomach yet fat % staying the same?

TheNinjaMonkey
06-22-2015, 01:26 AM
Hi all,

I wondered if someone could give me some advice?

My TDEE is around 2900. I weight train 4 days a week on a 3 day split (Back and Bi's, Chest and Tris, Legs and Shoulders). After each session i normally fit in a 25 minute HIIT session.

I'm eating approx 2650 cals a day and i eat "clean" (No junk food like KFC / McDonalds etc, all whole foods, generally all my meats are without flavorings)

I've been tracking my body fat since Feb which started on 17%, as of this morning i'm now on 13.4% body fat. (This is measured from a set of electronic scales with the feature built in (it tracks body fat, muscle %, water retention and something else i can't remember..))

Everywhere on my body is starting to look nicely defined apart from my stomach. Since upping my calories (i was probably on about 1800 before i started training) i had a nice flat stomach, i appreciate I've gone up in cals by about 850 cals but i would have thought the amount of exercise would have helped counter it?

Is there anything obvious here that i'm missing? - My body fat is getting lower.. my stomach seems to be getting podgy?!

Thanks
Matt

Mooredb
06-22-2015, 05:07 AM
How long have you been at the 2,600 calories? That seems a bit high for cutting. I would reduce your calories down to 2,350 for the first 3 - 4 weeks and add in 1 hour low intensity cardio on a non lifting day and see how it goes. Also start measuring and tracking your waist measurement. I sort of had the same problem and I kept lowering my calories and increased cardio until the waist line started going down. Also it may not be belly fat you could just be bloated possibly.

Hi all,

I wondered if someone could give me some advice?

My TDEE is around 2900. I weight train 4 days a week on a 3 day split (Back and Bi's, Chest and Tris, Legs and Shoulders). After each session i normally fit in a 25 minute HIIT session.

I'm eating approx 2650 cals a day and i eat "clean" (No junk food like KFC / McDonalds etc, all whole foods, generally all my meats are without flavorings)

I've been tracking my body fat since Feb which started on 17%, as of this morning i'm now on 13.4% body fat. (This is measured from a set of electronic scales with the feature built in (it tracks body fat, muscle %, water retention and something else i can't remember..))

Everywhere on my body is starting to look nicely defined apart from my stomach. Since upping my calories (i was probably on about 1800 before i started training) i had a nice flat stomach, i appreciate I've gone up in cals by about 850 cals but i would have thought the amount of exercise would have helped counter it?

Is there anything obvious here that i'm missing? - My body fat is getting lower.. my stomach seems to be getting podgy?!

Thanks
Matt

TheNinjaMonkey
06-22-2015, 07:19 AM
How long have you been at the 2,600 calories? That seems a bit high for cutting. I would reduce your calories down to 2,350 for the first 3 - 4 weeks and add in 1 hour low intensity cardio on a non lifting day and see how it goes. Also start measuring and tracking your waist measurement. I sort of had the same problem and I kept lowering my calories and increased cardio until the waist line started going down. Also it may not be belly fat you could just be bloated possibly.

I'm not really trying to cut down tbh, just keep the same, almost maintenance i suppose.. I'm happy with my size generally (other than my gut). I do always feel full at the moment, and my stomach is pretty hard, it doesn't feel soft and squidgy.. Maybe my stomach doesn't like something i'm eating..

tamu2005
06-22-2015, 07:52 AM
generally all my meats are without flavorings

Why?

Garlic, pepper, cumin, cilantro, rosemary. ...what do these add besides flavor, micronutrients, etc...

If you aren't allergic what is the downside?

Mrpb
06-22-2015, 08:04 AM

These devices are terribly inaccurate. If your stomach is getting podgy your body fat is actually going up.

Canadiantuxedo
06-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Might be a simple observation error. If you're stomach is getting podgy and you're gaining weight then you are getting fatter, plain and simple.

I just wanted to address a few points.
There is no such thing as clean eating. There are macro goals and micronutrient health http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110846041

Your split is not optimal for a beginner. Try a full body split
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

You're already doing this, but in order to lose weight you simply need to eat at a deficit. I highly doubt you were eating 1800 calories a day at 6"5 and not losing 2 lbs a week. This says to me you're miscounting your calories. Buy a food scale and track every calorie for a little while and see where you are really at.

FaroukNaas
06-22-2015, 08:35 AM
If your stomach is getting fattier then you need to lower your cals. Often times those machines are inaccurate; maybe your body fat % did go down because you added lean mass on your legs/arms/everywhere, but that doesn't necessarily mean you loss fat.

jonnicola
06-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Everywhere on my body is starting to look nicely defined apart from my stomach

You're bulking bro- muscles getting bigger but gaining a little bit of podge :)