PDA

View Full Version : Why criticize LeBron for getting to finals and losing?

FitnessCPA
06-17-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm not a LeBron fan. I think he's the best since Jordan and that's pretty undeniable.

That said, I like to see things objectively.

At age 30, Jordan had three titles in three finals appearances.
LeBron has two in six appearances.

HOWEVER...had Jordan gotten past Detroit in 1989 and 1990 and lost in the finals, would his legacy be any less than it is? How could it possibly be worse to win a conference championship and lose in the finals than to lose the conference championship and not even make the finals? After his third title, had Jordan gotten past Detroit in 1989 and 1990, he would have been age 30 with one more ring and one less finals appearance than James. Instead, because the Bulls lose to Detroit a couple years in a row, no one seems to penalize Jordan because he simply didn't lose in the finals. In reality, he lost earlier.

One way to look at it is that Jordan didn't even start making finals until he was 28. At that age, LeBron had been in four already.

LeBron is in the prime of his career and I think it's pretty safe to say that he'll make at least a few more conference championships or NBA Finals appearances. When it's all said and done, he may have double digit finals appearances and five championships. Who knows?

nikonD70s
06-17-2015, 12:57 PM
in a weak conference. he will def be making it to the finals again...atleast 3-4 times. maybe more if he joins with another superstar team. in my opinion, when u want to compare players. one must compare degree of easy/difficulty path to the finals. and in my opinion. out of most of the greats starting from mj era to now. there is no doubt lebron has the easiest path to the finals.

im sure he;s getting criticize simply because he jumps from team to team chasing a ring. he would of got a lot more respect if he stayed in cleveland or even miami. and when you;re ONE of the best at the moment and is arrogant and cries/flop a lot u will get blasted for losing. KD would get blasted if he lost too.

Benihanas
06-17-2015, 01:15 PM
not really a hater or a fan, but LeBron has a few things working against him such as:

-attitude- he's not confident, he's cocky, to the point of arrogance. me might be the best in basketball, might not be, but humility is a trait shared by the greats of every sport, yet something he doesn't possess. Makes it easy to hate the guy when he's constantly trying to assert his position as the best( see: Kanye)

-GM mentality- LeBron seems to be more concerned with who's around him rather than how to adjust. The funniest narrative of this season was how LeBron took the Cavs from zero to hero, but never mind the fact that they brought in Love and other players and the fact that there was a team, no, it was apparently all LeBron. Kobe has a prima donna mentality about playing with others and is a ball hog too and it's constantly been a harping point in his game, and arguably something that has kept him from adding to his already impressive resume. When you talk about Jordan, he didn't need to build and get involved, he welcomed his teammates and adjusted his game to play well with them and help them play well, LeBron wants to adjust the rosters to his game

-"all about me" mindset- every interview and post-game conference, it's all about him, tons of other superstar players will talk about their teammates, coaches, others, etc. He by contrast puts all the focus on him, (although ironically none or hardly any of the blame), and constantly has talked about wanting to be a "universal superstar" and talked about his own personal place in history and his legacy and all of that, he's more concerned with his own narrative than a team's quest to win a championship. Like the whole "secret motivation" thing in this finals was just his own personal pet peeve about not being voted MVP

-the flops- when you're 6'8" and essentially made of muscle, you should be able to hold your ground better. The fact that the entire game was stopped when he ran into a camera was ridiculous. Any other player and they would've ushered him off to the side and kept playing, but because it's him it turned into a spectacle. I get that a rule exists, but if you're truly the best you shouldn't have to lower yourself to the level of gross exploitation of that rule just to give yourself an edge. This one is possibly a bit nit-picky but it's bothersome to see a player who considers himself the best resort to bush league type play

now since I'm admittedly not a fan of basketball, this is all just casual observations based mostly on what I've seen from the media, but when compare him in summation vs past and even present greats, he just seems to be more of the A-Rod, 'me against the world' type who just wants attention and recognition

I respect his talent, respect his game, but have a hard time respecting his perspective

From a purely statistical and talent standpoint, he's one of the best if not the best in the game right now, and will definitely go down as one of the best players of all time. His numbers in the finals were nuts, total shot count nonwithstanding, and it's incredibly obvious that while the Cavs brought in other players to help bolster their roster, he's a big time impact player.