PDA

View Full Version : I need a diet plan for ramadan

ericdrake
06-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm thinking that Ramadan is probably the best time to cut for me because I almost always lose 5 pounds at the end of the month, just by fasting only. The only problem is I don't know what to eat and when to eat.

I calculated out my macros for the TDEE-20% and here is what I got:
TDEE-20% = 2294
Protein = 136 g
Fat = 64g
Carbs = 317 g

Usually during Ramadan I only eat at iftar, then next at suhoor. At iftar I drink water, eat dates, fruit salad, and other things high in carbs. At suhoor I pretty much have whatever happens to be made, so a regular dinner. So some questions I have are what types of food should I eat to match my macros, should I eat at any other time besides iftar and suhoor, and also, how much water should I drink?

Thanks.

Canadiantuxedo
06-16-2015, 08:39 AM
You have control of your diet all year long.
Unless you're in prison. Then im sorry.

FaroukNaas
06-16-2015, 08:48 AM
You should drink as much water as possible, especially since you can't drink throughout the day.

I've found that when you're fasting, protein shakes/homemade mass gainers are your friend. What I've had people do in the past years is buy things like PB, granola, milk, protein powder, some fruit. I tell them to eat dinner with their families and do their best to calculate macros of everything they decide to eat.

If this means getting with your mom in the kitchen and helping her out, or preparing your food separate, etc then that's what is required. Find out where your shortcomings are and make a mass gainer that covers any macros you missed (meal was low in protein? extra protein powder. low in carbs? extra fruit/granola. low in fat? maybe add in some PB or milk)

Ramadan alone isn't easy, and trying to get exact macros makes it more difficult. let me know if you have any questions

edit: you should always be in control of your diet :)

ericdrake
06-16-2015, 10:32 AM
You should drink as much water as possible, especially since you can't drink throughout the day.

I've found that when you're fasting, protein shakes/homemade mass gainers are your friend. What I've had people do in the past years is buy things like PB, granola, milk, protein powder, some fruit. I tell them to eat dinner with their families and do their best to calculate macros of everything they decide to eat.

If this means getting with your mom in the kitchen and helping her out, or preparing your food separate, etc then that's what is required. Find out where your shortcomings are and make a mass gainer that covers any macros you missed (meal was low in protein? extra protein powder. low in carbs? extra fruit/granola. low in fat? maybe add in some PB or milk)

Ramadan alone isn't easy, and trying to get exact macros makes it more difficult. let me know if you have any questions

edit: you should always be in control of your diet :)

Hey thanks for the info. A question that I have is would it be a good idea to drink a whey shake at iftar and then a casein shake at suhoor (if needed)? I'm planning on working out right before taraweeh if that makes a difference at all.

Jasonk282
06-16-2015, 10:45 AM
change your religion... ;)

loganhart
06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Im not too familiar with Ramadan. But isn't the fasting just between dawn and dusk?

If so, just eat whatever you feel like before the sun comes up and after the sun sets.

I typically fast between 10-16 hours a day, and have done this for years. Granted a portion of it is during sleep.

You'll just have to eat what you can when you can, plain and simple.

FaroukNaas
06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Hey thanks for the info. A question that I have is would it be a good idea to drink a whey shake at iftar and then a casein shake at suhoor (if needed)? I'm planning on working out right before taraweeh if that makes a difference at all.

I recommend my clients whey and to not bother with casein. Whey digests more quickly, less satiety in my experience so you're able to eat more (which may be a challenge during Ramadan), and it's cheaper. However, if you find yourself able to hit your macros easily then maybe you will want casein so you feel satiated before bed and through the night. This is all nitpicking, you simply need to hit your target macros. Since I'm sure you prepare your suhoor the night before, maybe make a plate for yourself or decide what you're going to eat beforehand so that in the morning you know what needs to be eaten and the macro-nutrient breakdown of it.

ericdrake
06-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Im not too familiar with Ramadan. But isn't the fasting just between dawn and dusk?

If so, just eat whatever you feel like before the sun comes up and after the sun sets.

I typically fast between 10-16 hours a day, and have done this for years. Granted a portion of it is during sleep.

You'll just have to eat what you can when you can, plain and simple.

So if I do eat whatever I feel like, granted not tons and tons of junk food, would I still be effectively cutting? Like I said before, I almost always lose 5-6 lbs. after every month of fasting.

ericdrake
06-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I recommend my clients whey and to not bother with casein. Whey digests more quickly, less satiety in my experience so you're able to eat more (which may be a challenge during Ramadan), and it's cheaper. However, if you find yourself able to hit your macros easily then maybe you will want casein so you feel satiated before bed and through the night. This is all nitpicking, you simply need to hit your target macros. Since I'm sure you prepare your suhoor the night before, maybe make a plate for yourself or decide what you're going to eat beforehand so that in the morning you know what needs to be eaten and the macro-nutrient breakdown of it.

What would happen if I eat below my macros? This might sound pretty stupid but I feel as if the -20% macros I posted are way above what I usually eat on any normal day with three meals and a few snacks. Would I be cutting even more efficiently or would that just be making me lose fat along with muscle?

FaroukNaas
06-17-2015, 03:46 PM
What would happen if I eat below my macros? This might sound pretty stupid but I feel as if the -20% macros I posted are way above what I usually eat on any normal day with three meals and a few snacks. Would I be cutting even more efficiently or would that just be making me lose fat along with muscle?

I don't completely understand your question. You want to make sure your deficit isn't more than a few hundred calories. If your TDEE is 2200 but you're only consuming 1200, you can definitely expect to lose some muscle along with your fat as well as being low energy. In addition, when you plateu on 1200 calories it'll be more difficult for you to continue cutting because you really can't safely drop below 1200. Besides, all the sweets available during Ramadan are too yummy :p

loganhart
06-17-2015, 04:49 PM
So if I do eat whatever I feel like, granted not tons and tons of junk food, would I still be effectively cutting? Like I said before, I almost always lose 5-6 lbs. after every month of fasting.

Keep ensuring macro and micro nutrient sufficiency and meet your daily caloric goal.

Do the same thing you should always be doing, except outside of your fasting window (dawn till dusk).

magician27
06-17-2015, 05:00 PM

you have to track calories of the food you are eating. its not about eating junk. you can totally gain weight eating healthy food.