PDA

View Full Version : Protein Pancakes

FormulaLT1poweR
06-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Anyone have any other recipes for some protein pancakes?

I've seen Bob's (TheSolution) YouTube videos concerning this, but also looking for other input.

I will be using MuscleTech's Platinum Whey, I have on hand right now Choco PB, C&C and Chocolate.

Thanks in advance, just looking at different options before giving these a go!

Ferdi92
06-14-2015, 09:33 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=protein+pancakes

There you go!

Mrpb
06-14-2015, 11:26 PM
1 scoop of whey
250 ml water
60 gram oats
1 or 2 eggs (or 2-3 egg whites)

put in blender, fry in pan.

ecominetti
06-15-2015, 05:21 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162604031

gesler0811
06-15-2015, 08:23 AM
I make oatmeal pancakes with no added whey that are still 18g protein per pancake.

1/4 cup oats + 3 ounces milk + 1 whole egg in mixing bowl (set this aside and mix dry ingredients separately.)
Then, in a separate bowl: 1/4 cup whole wheat flour + 1/2 tsp brown sugar + 1/8 tsp baking soda + 1/8 tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Mix the dry ingredients really well before dumping into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk for several seconds.
Cook in a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Once one side sets, sprinkle generously with some raisins. Flip when the first side is brown.
When it comes out the skillet, spread just a touch of maple syrup over the top.

This makes one huge and really stinking good pancake.

desslok
06-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Use Desslok's protein pancake recipe:

1. Real pancakes
2. Side of steak

Instructions: eat together for breakfast or whenever in the mood for delicious high protein pancake meal.

FormulaLT1poweR
06-15-2015, 10:31 AM
1 scoop of whey
250 ml water
60 gram oats
1 or 2 eggs (or 2-3 egg whites)

put in blender, fry in pan.

Thanks, this was something I was looking for...quick and easy. Repped for a worthwhile post.

Brdprey
06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
kodiak power cakes

www.kodiakcakes.com/power-cakes/

EjnarKolinkar
06-15-2015, 11:07 AM
I use

krusteaze pancake mix 1 serving
60g ground oats
heaping spoon of pumpkin
pumpkin spice
1 egg
1 scoop PES snickerdoodle

Or same minus pumpkin+spice add any whey you want.

They can get a little dense, I like them that way, but can add 1/2 tsp baking soda if needed for a bit more rise.

Krusteaze just rises so well it can carry the heavier oats easily IMO.

Mrpb
06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
heaping spoon of pumpkin

seeds I guess?

Randall8
06-15-2015, 11:57 AM
I make oatmeal pancakes with no added whey that are still 18g protein per pancake.

1/4 cup oats + 3 ounces milk + 1 whole egg in mixing bowl (set this aside and mix dry ingredients separately.)
Then, in a separate bowl: 1/4 cup whole wheat flour + 1/2 tsp brown sugar + 1/8 tsp baking soda + 1/8 tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Mix the dry ingredients really well before dumping into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk for several seconds.
Cook in a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Once one side sets, sprinkle generously with some raisins. Flip when the first side is brown.
When it comes out the skillet, spread just a touch of maple syrup over the top.

This makes one huge and really stinking good pancake.
any reason for both baking soda and baking powder? Why not just use more baking powder?

Tarpon87
06-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Basically what mrpb posted except ill usually add 1/4 cup cottage cheese to the mix. I made mine with Cellucor Cinamon swirl, they were delicious

EjnarKolinkar
06-15-2015, 01:49 PM
seeds I guess?

Canned pumpkin ;)

angrypenguin54
06-15-2015, 05:30 PM
I keep it easy, get a box of Bisquick, replace half of the recommended amount of mix with your favorite Protein powder and perfect pancakes every time with a decent profile.

The Solution
06-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks, this was something I was looking for...quick and easy. Repped for a worthwhile post.

Avoid oats
they will come out dry because of how dense they are in nature
always use a Kodiak, Complete Pancake mix or flour

They will come out 100x better

Simple does not always = better

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/LayzieBone085/Food/6C0F99E2-EBBC-467F-869C-8E23889375B2.jpg (http://s688.photobucket.com/user/LayzieBone085/media/Food/6C0F99E2-EBBC-467F-869C-8E23889375B2.jpg.html)

FormulaLT1poweR
06-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Alright thanks guys, finally some better responses. I will be attempting this sometime soon...I was going to do it tonight, but ended up doing something with the family.

Mrpb
06-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Avoid oats

What!?!? ;)

Love my oats in pancakes. The come out great imo. And the satiety from oats is amazing, among with the other health benefits.

Randall8
06-16-2015, 12:27 AM
I've tried replacing oats with ww flour and it's basically the same. Also using oats instead of pre-made pancake mixes saves some calories I guess.

The Solution
06-16-2015, 03:42 AM
What!?!? ;)

Love my oats in pancakes. The come out great imo. And the satiety from oats is amazing, among with the other health benefits.
Oats are very dense and dry in nature
Pick up a handful of oats, and pick up flour, what is lighter/softer? That is why flour or complete panacke mix makes a better product
How many places do you go to that you see making oatmeal pancakes? Probably because the quality, taste, and texture very to a great degree.

Oats in a general amount are kcal for kcal greater than pancake mix
40g Pancake mix = 1g fat, 27g fat, 2g Protein
40g Oats = 3g Fat, 27g Carbs, 5g Protein

I would use a regular pancake/complete pancake mix or a regular flour and you will find better success

I do not just add water only. ill throw in 2 stiffened egg whites, or 1 whole egg and 1-2 whites, with almond milk, SF/FF Pudding, Baking Powder & Splenda at the least as well for texture/moisture as well which aid is greatly

The stiffened egg whites go a long way.

Mrpb
06-16-2015, 04:18 AM
Oats are very dense and dry in nature

Got ya. I was more joking, but I've used flour and pancake mix several times. I'm aware of the difference, just prefer oats. I like my pancakes more as crepe, thin style.

muruku
06-16-2015, 06:32 AM
I just use protein powder + eggs.. maybe some apple pectin. never turns out like rubber.. Hot pan and medium heat is important though.

http://i.imgur.com/1oiy78E.jpg

I like to just make 1 big pancake, slather the toppings and fold it into triangles..
1. 1 egg + 2 whites. (I prefer less yolks because I find that too many yolks makes it too eggy and ruins the taste) + 1 tbsp of fibre (optional) + 30g of protein powder (whey+casein mix gives the best results IMO)

2. Heat pan on high. Once a drop of batter cooks instantly on the surface, turn the heat to medium. Drop batter into pan

3. Wait till bubbles appear on the top and the sides come loose easily. Fold/roll and slide off pan.

edit; my style gets you something similar to a south east asian style pancake (aka apom balik) though.

Mrpb
06-16-2015, 07:07 AM
I just use protein powder + eggs.. maybe some apple pectin. never turns out like rubber.. Hot pan and medium heat is important though.

I just tried this after reading it. Worked remarkably well.

Oats in a general amount are kcal for kcal greater than pancake mix
40g Pancake mix = 1g fat, 27g fat, 2g Protein
40g Oats = 3g Fat, 27g Carbs, 5g Protein

Could be true but the health benefits of oats make it a far more interesting choice than pancake mix imo.

For example:

Let’s take oats, for example. There is a substantive body of research pointing to multiple beneficial effects attributed to the beta-glucan content, and other non-essential components of oats. These benefits range from appetite control (as indicated by increases in peptide Y-Y) to enhanced immune response, and improvements in blood lipid profile and glucose control. The list goes on.
http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/

benh2
06-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Casein banana powder works wonders for my pancakes (plus egg, oats and greek yoghurt). Hits the spot for me.

gesler0811
06-16-2015, 08:34 AM
any reason for both baking soda and baking powder? Why not just use more baking powder?

Completely arbitrary decision on my part, mainly because most "from scratch" pancake recipes I've tried tended to use both. As I initially came up with and then tweaked this particular recipe, it just sort of evolved that way. But you raise a good question... next time I make it I will experiment with leaving out the baking soda.

One thing I really like about this recipe, and I hope I don't draw hate for this, but it kind of irks me when I see these recipes for "high protein X" or "high protein Y" and then I look at it and it's really just a regular recipe with a scoop of whey dumped in. Feels like cheating to me, in a way. I can inject all kinds of nutrients into a turd and call it a high protein turd, but I'd rather the meal was naturally high in protein. My pancake is 376 calories, 8g fat, 18g protein, and 56g carbs without having to use any supplements to boost the numbers.

dylanmcauley33
06-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Need
1/2 cup oats
5 egg whites (use whole eggs too not as good though )
150g tub greek yogurt
1 tblspn peanut butter

Add eggs oats and half the yoghurt to blender and blend. Cook as normal pancakes.
Top with remaining yogurt and peanut butter and jam.

gibbss
06-16-2015, 12:19 PM
125 grams oats
Vanilla extract
1 banana
2 whole eggs + 4 whites
1 scoop of vanilla whey
some blueberry's
a little melted coconut butter
cinnamon ( and if you like a very small amound of nuttmeg)

trow in blender ( if u think its to thick add a little almond or coconut milk)

then when finished a little peanut butter on the side

eat , then sit ,and don't move for like 30 mins
get up go to gym and break your pr in deadlift..

Pancakes strongman style!!!

TheWaffleIron
06-16-2015, 01:17 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135908801

The Solution
06-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Could be true but the health benefits of oats make it a far more interesting choice than pancake mix imo.

For example:

http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/

Quoting a paleo source :)
Nobody makes pancake mix the sole majority of their intake for carbs, nor would it be optimal. Oats are ok here and there just like any food source, but variety is key

Why do major resturants that make the best tasting and fluffiest pancakes not use oats? Becuase they are dense/dry and hold down the final product from its peak and rising.

Ever watch the food network, or discovery channel how many times do you see 5 star restaurants using oatmeal as its primary source for making pancakes? Next to none.

FormulaLT1poweR
06-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the responses...I will post pics of the attempt.

I will probably just try a mixture of pancake mix, protein powder, eggs and water.

The Solution
06-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the responses...I will post pics of the attempt.

I will probably just try a mixture of pancake mix, protein powder, eggs and water.

Add baking powder (To rise)
almond milk if you have it
SF/FF Pudding mix (Texture/Moisture)
Splenda (Sweetner)

the key is the proper dry/wet ratio. too much dry = dense and hard
too much wet = soggy and do not rise much.

muruku
06-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Quoting a paleo source :)

It's an interview with alan aragon..

Q5. Are Paleo Diet adherents missing important health benefits from eschewing grains, legumes, and dairy?

Alan: Let’s take oats, for example. There is a substantive body of research pointing to multiple beneficial effects attributed to the beta-glucan content, and other non-essential components of oats. These benefits range from appetite control (as indicated by increases in peptide Y-Y) to enhanced immune response, and improvements in blood lipid profile and glucose control. The list goes on.

The Solution
06-16-2015, 06:44 PM
It's an interview with alan aragon..

i see you missed the sarcasm in the smile at the end of my quote :)
I know there is plenty of benefits to oats, but this thread is about protein pancakes. I doubt anyone makes protein pancakes their staple food source in a 24 hour period or given day.
Personally oats do not settle well on my stomach so i barley eat them

Tomerjk
06-17-2015, 03:47 AM
Hey man, I've been in the same situation like you.
I have tried making a protein pancake with the same batter I used as a microwave brownie' and It came out great!
Here's the recipe I use, It makes one big pancake or about 12 small ones.
1 scoop of your favorite protein powder
1 tsp of baking powder
1 ripe banana, mashed/ 1 medium sized sweet potato, cooked
1 whole egg/2 egg whites (depends on your macros)
sweetener(very optional' depends on your sweet tooth and the sweetnes of your powder)

Mash the banana/sweet potato into a puree. Add the egg/whites and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
The batter should be a little bit thicker than normal pancakes, but if it is too thick(the thickness depends on the powder) add one tablespoon of water into the mix.
Once you have your mix ready, cook it in a skillet over a medium heat, just like you'd cook a regular pancake. Enjoy !

Mrpb
06-17-2015, 04:45 AM
I doubt anyone makes protein pancakes their staple food source in a 24 hour period or given day.

I have them as my breakfast every day when I'm at home. Sometimes I'll have them a second time later that day too.

Why do major resturants that make the best tasting and fluffiest pancakes not use oats?

Most restaurants fry them in a thick layer of butter, many will serve them dripping with sugar and most will not add whey.

Most restaurants do not care about optimising body composition or health. I do. That's the good thing about preparing my own food: full control over the ingredients.

And as I said, I'm not after fluffyness, I want thin crepe style pancakes. I actually prefer the texture of whole grains over refined ones. Same way I prefer whole grain breads over white bread.

And I personally wouldn't like to have refined flours and chemical additives (often found in pancake mixes) in my daily staples.

And yes I got that you prefer a different style pancake. It's all good.