PDA

View Full Version : How many calories do I need to gain muscle?

marek25
06-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Yeah... here we have the same question...again
I know there is no magic number and there are a lot of things that matter when it's about to gain muscle. Let me describe how does my day look like. From Monday to Thursday I work from 10:30 to 21pm. I deliver food and I walk sometimes 5-10 miles a day. So I burn more calories. Do I need eat like crazy to gain mass? On Friday from 10:30 to 4pm and weekend is off. What would be magic number to gain muscle? I am 5"7, 160lbs, age 21. For a long time I was doing insanity workout and now I decided to make some size. My diet was 180g carb, 140g protein and 45fat. Now, I am trying to increase carbs and fats.

Btw, Is chipotle chicken burito good way to increase calories?

sevenhm
06-07-2015, 09:15 AM
I know there is no magic number and there are a lot of things that matter when it's about to gain muscle. Let me describe how does my day look like. From Monday to Thursday I work from 10:30 to 21pm. I deliver food and I walk sometimes 5-10 miles a day. So I burn more calories. Do I need eat like crazy to gain mass? On Friday from 10:30 to 4pm and weekend is off. What would be magic number to gain muscle? I am 5"7, 160lbs, age 21. For a long time I was doing insanity workout and now I decided to make some size. My diet was 180g carb, 140g protein and 45fat. Now, I am trying to increase carbs and fats.

So you say you know there is no magic number then ask what would the magic number be... Chipotle is fine.. In order to gain muscle you need to be in a caloric surplus and be training. Aim to gain 1-2 lbs per 2 weeks. If you're not gaining any weight simply add more calories till you're gaining at the desired rate. Your fats are very low.
Refer to: Calculating calories & macros
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

magician27
06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
all i know is you wont gain chit eating 1600-1700 calories and your fat intake is too low. you better aim to double what you eat now. on a full body workout 3x a week + 5-10 miles walking a day i would aim for 3000-3500 cals

giraloa
06-08-2015, 11:09 AM
You just need to be in a surplus of calories, but figuring out where that point is can be tricky. Just eat clean foods and worry about total calories by feel. If you aren't gaining strength or size, try increasing total calories a little bit and see how your body responds. Diet is different for everyone. Best way that I found is going by feel. And I also found that a lot of people are scared to eat too much. Don't worry about gaining a little fat. It'll come off once you dial back the calories when starting to cut.

And BTW, chipotle is awesome and actually pretty clean when compared to most other fast foods. I eat there almost once per week haha

jollyman3745
06-08-2015, 11:48 AM

if the burrito fits into your macros then yes. As another pointed out your fat is really low aim for .4-.5 your bodyweight as fat. You need to eat like crazy based on your TDEE your calorie requirements to maintain + calories above that to gain most people on a clean bulk will aim for 250-500 over their maintenance to gain consistently each week.

Gen1GT
06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
You don't need to be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle, you only need to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight. Big difference. Fat guys gain muscle while losing fat every day of the week.

Vpac
06-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm sure you've got a smartphone so download myfitnesspal and begin tracking your macros.

For someone who weighs 160lb you want at least 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein. I'd go with 165g protein to start with. For fats I'd begin with 50g and start with 200g carbs. Protein and Carbs have 4 calories per gram, Fats have 9 calories per gram so your total cals = 1910. Do this for a week and weigh yourself every morning after you pee/poop and before you eat/drink. 7 days later check if you have lost, maintained or gained weight.

If you lost, increase your carbs by 15g, fats by 3-5g. If you maintain, increase carbs by 10g, fats by 2g. Stick with this for another 7 days and repeat the process. Obviously if you're gaining weight you do not need to do anything, as long as you're not gaining too much! The sweet spot is around 0.5lb-0.75lb a week increase. You want to shoot for approx 1.5lb increase a month, in a year 15-20lb. Protein remains the same until your weight hits the next 5lb increment so when you weigh 165lb, then you up it to 170g. When you weigh 170lb, up it to 175g etc.

Jcart159
06-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Yes.

chipotle is known to increase testosterone and manliness by at least 10.5.

MetilHed
06-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes.

chipotle is known to increase testosterone and manliness by at least 10.5.

well damn, that makes me an 11.5 !!!

Jcart159
06-08-2015, 04:03 PM
well damn, that makes me an 11.5 !!!

Hrm. Sounds like you only went with a single scoop of the chicken, or quite possibly went for the sofritas.

I took 2 scoops post workout, and my chest hair has doubled in length in the last 30 minutes.