PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat vs losing weight, need help

Dustin1986
06-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Hey guys/gals, I need your help once again.

I took the first step to my goal and joined my local gym today. The motivation is strong and it won't go away! I am just trying to figure out the rest to make sure that my time in the gym isn't in vain! The problem I am facing is my weight. For the last 5+ years this body has been shaped on video games and junk food (lots of fast food and beer). I am 29 years old, 6'2, weight 235lbs and feel like an 80 year old man. I hurt, it's hard to bend over, I can't squat to pick something up because my knees hurt and I feel like I am dying. I don't feel healthy. My BMI has to be over 30%, that's just a guess. I am skinny fat, you see most of it in my face, gut and hips. I have a flat chest, but my arms seem "normal" whatever the hell that means.

My goals are simple, a complete transformation from fat to bodybuilder. I want to get as big as my genetics will allow. No more excuses! I don't know what my target weight should be for someone who wants mass. I've been tracking my macros for someone my age and height, but who only weighs 200lbs. I thought that was a good target weight but now I am wondering this. Do you think I could sit at maintenance for 235lbs, eat clean and work hard, build muscle and get below 10% body fat or would I remain fat? Would the fat go away and that weight be replaced with muscle, or is that still to many calories? This stuff is confusing and I suck at science.

Cutting to the chase, what should my target weight be and how do I figure that out?

Thanks, I hate that I don't know these things but I am trying and I want to learn!

sevenhm
06-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Hey guys/gals, I need your help once again.

I took the first step to my goal and joined my local gym today. The motivation is strong and it won't go away! I am just trying to figure out the rest to make sure that my time in the gym isn't in vain! The problem I am facing is my weight. For the last 5+ years this body has been shaped on video games and junk food (lots of fast food and beer). I am 29 years old, 6'2, weight 235lbs and feel like an 80 year old man. I hurt, it's hard to bend over, I can't squat to pick something up because my knees hurt and I feel like I am dying. I don't feel healthy. My BMI has to be over 30%, that's just a guess. I am skinny fat, you see most of it in my face, gut and hips. I have a flat chest, but my arms seem "normal" whatever the hell that means.

My goals are simple, a complete transformation from fat to bodybuilder. I want to get as big as my genetics will allow. No more excuses! I don't know what my target weight should be for someone who wants mass. I've been tracking my macros for someone my age and height, but who only weighs 200lbs. I thought that was a good target weight but now I am wondering this. Do you think I could sit at maintenance for 235lbs, eat clean and work hard, build muscle and get below 10% body fat or would I remain fat? Would the fat go away and that weight be replaced with muscle, or is that still to many calories? This stuff is confusing and I suck at science.

Cutting to the chase, what should my target weight be and how do I figure that out?

Thanks, I hate that I don't know these things but I am trying and I want to learn!

Go to a local gym or your doctor and have a caliper test to get an idea of what bodyfat % you're at if you want to be more "precise". Could you post your current macros? If you're very over weight it can hinder your progress and health towards your goals. From what you're describing without pictures or more information you would be much better off losing weight to get to a healthy bodyfat% then maintaining or getting lean then slow bulking.

Dustin1986
06-04-2015, 08:16 PM
The macros for what I thought would be a good ideal weight (200lbs) is going on a 50/30/20 ratio (might go 40 30 30 on off days, don't know if that matters or helps).
2472 cal/day for maintenance (which would be a caloric loss for me at 235)
Carbs-309g/day
Protein-185g/day
Fat-54g/day

The macros for what I currently weight at 235 on the same ratio are
2735cal/day for maintenance
Carb-341g/day
Protein-205g/day
Fat-60g/day

I am using Myfitness Calculator to figure these numbers out. The calories seem a little high *shrug*

sevenhm
06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Never, follow ratios they skew macros disproportionately.
Refer to this sticky: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Don't over complicate your diet the key is consistency. I would recommend Fat:85 Carbs:200 Protein:200. If You're losing at a rate of 1-2 lbs every 2 weeks great if faster up carbs by 25 if no weight loss reduce carbs by 25. Watch your weight over the course of 2 weeks and average the weight to see how much you're losing. Don't be alarmed by initial fast weight loss and make a quick adjustment because the first week or so will just be water weight.