PDA

View Full Version : Should my Carbs Macro include TEE + %Increase to gain mass?

21stCenturyGuy
06-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I have read Emma-Leights thread on calculating Macros, but there was one aspect I was unclear on.
When calculating carbs:
remaining cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams x 4] + [fat grams x 9])
grams carbs = (remaining cals)/ 4

Does total cal needs refer to TEE + the 20% extra calories I'm adding to gain weight,
or just the base level TEE without that 20% TEE added in addition?

Thanks in advance.

Jcart159
06-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I have read Emma-Leights thread on calculating Macros, but there was one aspect I was unclear on.
When calculating carbs:
remaining cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams x 4] + [fat grams x 9])
grams carbs = (remaining cals)/ 4

Does total cal needs refer to TEE + the 20% extra calories I'm adding to gain weight,
or just the base level TEE without that 20% TEE added in addition?

Thanks in advance.

Things become a lot easier when you realize you don't have to fill remaining cals with ONLY carbs.

Make life simple. After you hit protein and fat minimums, feel free to fill remaining cals with whatever mix of macros makes you feel best.

21stCenturyGuy
06-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Things become a lot easier when you realize you don't have to fill remaining cals with ONLY carbs.

Make life simple. After you hit protein and fat minimums, feel free to fill remaining cals with whatever mix of macros makes you feel best.

Sorry, it might be the way I worded it. Basically to calculate my carb needs I don't know whether I should be using my base TEE figure : 2268.3
or include my TEE figure plus the extra 20% I need for growth i.e. 2801.7

So in the equation my total cal needs is either 2268.3 or 2801.7

Jcart159
06-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Sorry, it might be the way I worded it. Basically to calculate my carb needs I don't know whether I should be using my base TEE figure : 2268.3
or include my TEE figure plus the extra 20% I need for growth i.e. 2801.7

So in the equation my total cal needs is either 2268.3 or 2801.7

Use the 2800 lol, what you are actually going to be eating. If you set your macros on the 2270, then you would be eating that many calories... not the amount you set for your bulk.

BUT, that being said. There is no need to set an amount of carbs to eat. Hit your protein and fat minimums, and fill the rest with whatever mix you like.

21stCenturyGuy
06-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Use the 2800 lol, what you are actually going to be eating. If you set your macros on the 2270, then you would be eating that many calories... not the amount you set for your bulk.

BUT, that being said. There is no need to set an amount of carbs to eat. Hit your protein and fat minimums, and fill the rest with whatever mix you like.

Haha thanks very much dude. Appreciate the help, nice to not have your head bitten off as a new guy. I wasn't sure if the rest was going to be just eat whatever I like.