PDA

View Full Version : Running vs Incline walking

sxgt
06-02-2015, 12:30 AM
I wanted to get some input on everyone's preference when cutting, I am really concerned about retaining my muscle mass. I ve been doing 20 min walks on a 15 degree incline but its not really wearing me out. Sometimes I do it with weights in my hands. Wondering if this will pay off better in the long run or of I should just start jogging again.

dmacdonal9
06-02-2015, 03:43 AM
Incline walking is a little less likely to interfere with muscle gains than running, for those super paranoid about losing muscle. If you're concerned about it and want to run though, just space out your running away from lifting. Do it on rest days.

Or if you like the incline walking and have the time, go for longer periods of time.

AncientYouth
06-02-2015, 03:51 AM
You could just lift heavy and diet better and do some regular walking

sdunn96
06-02-2015, 04:34 AM
Try doing stair master, for about 30 - 45 min. about 70 - 80 spm.
See what you think of that.

johnnyb1982
06-02-2015, 07:50 AM
I wanted to get some input on everyone's preference when cutting, I am really concerned about retaining my muscle mass. I ve been doing 20 min walks on a 15 degree incline but its not really wearing me out. Sometimes I do it with weights in my hands. Wondering if this will pay off better in the long run or of I should just start jogging again.

It comes down to nutrition. You can run 3 miles a day and retain all the muscle you have, even build more while losing the bodyfat. Just gotta fix that nutrition.
What's your diet look like?

KingOfChaos
06-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Inclined walking is also better on your joints, especially if you're a bigger guy like me. I prefer HIIT sprints, battle rope, and elliptical for my cardio. Battle ropes in particular are actually fun.

Naix
06-02-2015, 08:17 AM
I've lost 40lbs just incline walking and dieting. Running is not necessary for fat loss.

MuzzieChik786
06-02-2015, 08:37 AM
I've also wondered this in the past.

I hate running with a passion, so that's why I'm doing more of it - at least a mile a day for a total of 5-6 miles a week.

I used to do about 30 mins at max incline when I was seriously about building muscle though. It gave me painful cramps in the middle of the night in my calves.

KingOfChaos
06-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I've also wondered this in the past.

I hate running with a passion, so that's why I'm doing more of it - at least a mile a day for a total of 5-6 miles a week.

I used to do about 30 mins at max incline when I was seriously about building muscle though. It gave me painful cramps in the middle of the night in my calves.

That's an electrolyte imbalance caused by magnesium being used up.

sxgt
06-04-2015, 01:16 AM
It comes down to nutrition. You can run 3 miles a day and retain all the muscle you have, even build more while losing the bodyfat. Just gotta fix that nutrition.
What's your diet look like?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2d6tkex.png
http://i59.tinypic.com/2d6tkex.png

I have a free slot to add to it. I get more calories than that.