PDA

View Full Version : Why does this entire forum revolve around LeBron & Kobe? (srs)

TheFornicator1
05-28-2015, 10:43 PM
I never started viewing this section until around 2012. Has it always been like this?

Literally every NBA thread somehow ends up filled with mentions of Kobe and LeBron. Somebody posts a comment completely unrelated and somebody else will tie it back to their fanboyism to LBJ or Kobe? It's ridiculous

Would you guys even watch basketball if those two names didn't exist?

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 10:46 PM
From the guy whose entire history of basketball comes from youtube clips and sports illustrated archives, this is rich.

99.9% of your posts involve Jordan. Somehow namesake holds no sacred value to you?

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Btw - why you vanish when I asked you in gigantic letters to respond bruh?

Moreso. No player post-1980 has demonstrated an ability to be an all-around threat to the level that Michael did in 1989, after Collins moved him to point.

Everybody should find as many games from the 1989 post-season as possible. Tell me you've seen a two way player in the post-season ever extend as much energy as Jordan did that year. Absolutely phenomenal effort. I'd encourage everybody to find games from that post-season as he was nothing less than a maniacal workhorse. One handed rebounds straight out to running the break in the flash of an eye, all game long.

They ended up losing to Laimbeer's Pistons, but Mike managed to average 35/7/7.5 on 51% that post-season after averaging 32.5/8/8 in the regular season after setting modern era records for his all-around play. Had he continued playing at the position outside of the restrictive triangle the rest of his career, his numbers would quite clearly be absurd.

I've written extensively about misconstruing the importance of linear statistics and the myth of "all around" play before. Either way, this discussion is not new. It will disappear once again after this post-season, as the NBA has one of the most temperamental fan bases in existence.

TheFornicator keeps propping up Jordans 1989 playoffs as the epitome of WHY Jordan could have projected higher than LeBron "at lebrons game"(pg style) apparently.

34.8 7.0 7.6 on 51% - 17 games PER 29.9 TS% 60.2

LeBron in 2009

35.3 9.1 7.3 on 51% - 14 games PER 37.4 TS% 61.8

please respond bruh. somehow jordans inferior numbers display his ability to be better than LeBron?

Your inability to face the fact that LeBron is a far superior passer and rebounder is disgusting.

Spill512
05-28-2015, 10:50 PM
It is what it is. Only thing we can do is educate them.

IsLifeRealLife
05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
It all started a few years ago when Lebron officially surpassed Kobe at only age 28. Kobetards couldn't handle the truth so they started acting even more retarded in order to protect their idol.

TheFornicator1
05-28-2015, 11:09 PM
From the guy whose entire history of basketball comes from youtube clips and sports illustrated archives, this is rich.

I guess I've hurt your feelings, but try to keep a level-head. This is blatantly false. I've talked to you reasonably in the past and also explained my involvement in basketball. I've contributed rare games to the collecting community from my VHS collection, some of those vintage YouTube clips people watch are actually from my source material.

Can you stop trying to create some fake rivalry here? I'm not going to play the role of personal nemesis for you.

99.9% of your posts involve Jordan. Somehow namesake holds no sacred value to you?

Only in threads that are about the topic. Remember that thread where you randomly brought up his name in a thread that was entirely unrelated? I told you I'd remind you about it.

Read my signature. I've only been on for an hour and haven't read that post yet.

To the post: You've listed metrics alongside (PER, true shooting percentage), and I'm not sure why!? My post was in the Laimbeer thread, and it was responding to Bill's comments about points and rebounds. So, my point was, that were Michael to play appropriate positional basketball as he did in the 1989 season where he averaged 32.5/8/8 (better all-around linear numbers than any LeBron has posted) and the '89 postseason, his overall linear numbers (pts/rbs/asts) would be much more impressive than they are. '89, when he played point, is direct proof of that.

Basically, I was calling into question the methodology Bill was using by demonstrating contradictory precedent.

LBJ being a better passer and rebounder has as much to do with role and system as it does any measure of skill. Ask yourself: If Jordan weren't relegated to a positional role inside the triangle, and were able to operate freely in a hybrid point guard position as he was under Collins in '89, would the disparity in numbers be as large? As far as I can tell, the answer is simply no. Jordan didn't lack the ability to rebound or pass at a high level; he demonstrated that fact every time he went up against Magic by playing a more all-around game that basically said: "Whatever you can do, I can do better". Similarly, whenever his team's rebounders were down with injury or out with suspension, he proved to be a formidable rebounder.

Numbers wise, though, indeed LeBron is superior. That was never questionable.

To your added point on the metrics you involved (whatever the point is); LBJ's 2009 run is the most impressive incomplete playoff run in history. I've stated that multiple times (Hakeem's single round aside). It's worth noting, though, that Jordan's 1989 post-season run was by far the toughest that either of them have faced. Check the SRS breakdown I posted in another thread.

Happy?

sammywatkins
05-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Bad boy pistons>>> hedo turkoglu magic

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Quite a lot of text for one sentence.

"LeBron is superior. That was never questionable"

Have a good night you tool. No one with a brain wants to read you justifying your self worth over and over.

TheFornicator1
05-28-2015, 11:15 PM

Have a good night you tool. No one with a brain wants to read you justifying your self worth over and over.

I respond and you get mad. I won't bother again.

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 11:28 PM
I respond and you get mad. I won't bother again.

Mad? I am never mad.

You just go so far out of your way to deflect the question asked in order to maintain that you are, in fact, a knowledgeable source on the topic despite your obvious gaffe on the question at hand.

Question here: Who is a better passer/rebounder?
Answer (without any real debate mind you): LeBron

Your Answer: Literally 2 full pages of mostly hypothetical conjecture into what Jordan could have myabe done had certain things not happened in his career, all fully deflecting that yes, in fact LeBron IS a statistically superior passer and rebounder, and your vaunted stat line of Jordans 89 playoffs was actually already trumped by one LeBron James, kind of nullifying your whole "best player to do this kinda stuff blah blah blah"

You can never just ****ing answer a question. You absolutely NEED to validate yourself in the process.

The best part is you seem to think I'm questioning your ... "knowledge". I'm not. You're just so into your own opinion it's impossible to talk to you without having you remind ...yourself apparently... that you hold your own opinion in very high esteem.

GermanLifter
05-28-2015, 11:42 PM
sdballer can you take your stupid ****ing essay posts to pm please? no one here cares or wants to read it all, thanks dude

TheFornicator1
05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
I make an effort to keep discussion with you somewhat cordial so I don't understand why you always try to push the conversations into hostile territory. I don't really care about the perception of my opinion but when you post things like this:

You can expect a response.

As per the rest of the post, it seems like what I was saying went over your head. You're stuck on the '89 postseason but it was far from the only point I was making, I actually pointed it out for two reasons: the '89 run was the toughest either player has faced, and it happened to include a bad-boys face-off. You bolded my first statement without, I think, realizing that I was referring to the '89 regular season.

I'm not just saying that Michael could do something, I'm saying he did do something. There's precedent, and the sample size is by far large enough to make the discussion one worth having.

I should've responded in the other thread btw, my bad

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 11:49 PM
So in your opinion, more impressive, MJ's 32 8 8 reg season, or his playoffs.

As to my quip about your archaic knowledge, it's entirely true. You avoid most current day NBA talks because I assume you don't watch much of it. There is no shame in admitting that. Older basketball is your wheelhouse, and you tend to stay in it. No shame in your game.

TheFornicator1
05-28-2015, 11:55 PM
So in your opinion, more impressive, MJ's 32 8 8 reg season, or his playoffs.

As to my quip about your archaic knowledge, it's entirely true. You avoid most current day NBA talks because I assume you don't watch much of it. There is no shame in admitting that. Older basketball is your wheelhouse, and you tend to stay in it. No shame in your game.

You serious chief? Have you not been reading the game threads? I've been actively involved in live commenting on games as well as analysis on series predictions, etc.

I plan on posting a '15 Finals Preview when I get around to finishing it. Maybe later tonight if I don't go out.

EDIT: Forgot your question. I'd probably tend toward the regular season for the historical significance of the linear numbers (including his run of triple doubles after being moved to point), given that the playoff run came to an abrupt end.

sdballer5588
05-28-2015, 11:56 PM
You serious chief? Have you not been reading the game threads? I've been actively involved in live commenting on games as well as analysis on series predictions, etc.

I plan on posting a '15 Finals Preview when I get around to finishing it. Maybe later tonight if I don't go out.

I don't go in most game threads anymore. They're polluted with retards. Should make a preview. Mostly because you tend to be thorough. Annoyingly thorough. Would be good.

Also - no answer on MJ 32 8 8 vs his playoffs? Which you taking?

broboma2012
05-29-2015, 03:31 AM
baller getting spanked. it's his MO. always wants to escalate a conversation to hostile territory. literally invented traits for me to convince himself of imagined superiority. i have to be 5"6' and have a 'weird torso' for him to feel he has won. he has actually started threads on the regular misc on the former topic about me. a weird individual to say the least.

XeReaZ
05-29-2015, 03:49 AM
Because I only get my nba info from youtube clips and sports illustrated archives, so both look good/GOAT which makes it really hard for me to choose just one. I say one or the other is better depending on my mood and my arguments mostly consist of hypothetical conjecture. Rings or stats lolz. BTW im 5"6' and have a 'weird torso' I guess you can say this forum is just full of weird individuals to say the least.

FantasticPotato
05-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Because people are not intelligent enough to talk about actual sports being played so they have to go back to what they read someone else say about Jordan v Lebron v Kobe and put it as their own opinions

woody19
05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Why does this thread revolve around Lebron and Kobe

http://media.giphy.com/media/b8kHKZq3YFfnq/giphy.gif

MeaslyReps
05-29-2015, 04:41 PM
There should be an "Official LeBron Thread", so that they can get their daily fill of LeBron in there instead of creating a hundred threads every day.

Hardcore_D00d
05-29-2015, 04:49 PM
complain forum is full of kobe and lebron

makes thread about kobe and lebron

BroHusky
05-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Fornicator don't worry brah SD can't look at things qualitatively like you can, he's slow

antiwhitekn1ght
05-29-2015, 04:55 PM
sdballer is writing biblical length blocks of text with every post. It's honestly quite amazing..