PDA

View Full Version : Need Macro Help - Slow, clean bulk (Protein probably way too high?)

jg757
05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
5'11 - 170lbs - M - about, I don't know 14% BF? (Pic attached)

Want to start a slow, clean bulk throughout summer but gain minimal fat. I followed the sticky and did the following calculation to reach my TEE:

Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

and it came out to 1786...

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

Chose 1.4 since I work at a desk job M-F but hit the gym 5 times a week.. wasn't sure about this part but the TEE came out to be exactly 2500.

I follow a very strict diet so I want to make sure I am getting this right.

For my slow, clean bulk I will be eating at right around 2750-2900 calories with as close as I can get to the following macros:

Protein: 255g - I already know this is too high and I'm trying to figure out how to lower it but still eat healthy whole foods
Fat: 94 - I just chose 170 * .55 because it fit in the range the sticky provided
Carbs: 222 - Sticky calculation

Should I just raise carbs and lower protein to get closer to say 200g protein or am I okay where I'm at while on a clean bulk? For supplements I'm taking Creatine Mono, Beta Alanine, Multi Vitamin, Fish Oil, Whey & Casein. Most of my protein intake is from my meals (large portions of lean meats mostly for lunch/dinner every day).

EDIT: Forgot to attach pic

Mrpb
05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Your body fat may be 12-13%

Protein would be enough at 0.8 gram per lb. But there's nothing wrong with eating more if you prefer so. In fact it may be beneficial.

I wouldn't try to set your macros in hard numbers. You'll be fine if you eat 170 gram of protein one day and 250 the next. Same for fats, same for carbs.

Just make sure to hit your minimum fat, minimum protein and minimums for fibers and micros. That's all.

jg757
05-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Your body fat may be 12-13%

Protein would be enough at 0.8 gram per lb. But there's nothing wrong with eating more if you prefer so. In fact it may be beneficial.

I wouldn't try to set your macros in hard numbers. You'll be fine if you eat 170 gram of protein one day and 250 the next. Same for fats, same for carbs.

Just make sure to hit your minimum fat, minimum protein and minimums for fibers and micros. That's all.

Thanks man... Made some adjustments and its looking closer to these ranges:

Calories: 2800-3000
Protein: 220-230
Fat: 80-100
Carbs - 300-335

Just going to stick with that for a little while and see how my body reacts. Wanted to figure it out before it was too late. I worked too hard to get down to where I am currently at to throw it all away in a few months with an improper bulk.

GING3R
05-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks man... Made some adjustments and its looking closer to these ranges:

Calories: 2800-3000
Protein: 220-230
Fat: 80-100
Carbs - 300-335

Just going to stick with that for a little while and see how my body reacts. Wanted to figure it out before it was too late. I worked too hard to get down to where I am currently at to throw it all away in a few months with an improper bulk.

That looks good. Protein at 200 would be about as much as you need and can use that for carbs especially in a bulk.