PDA

View Full Version : Help with cutting diet

freffo
05-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi all. I am a new user but I have read many articles from this forum and this is the first time I really need help for my cutting diet. Short description: 26 years old, 76 kg, bf 13-14%, 4-split gym (1h + 15min walk at elevation 10%) + 1 day swimming pool. Beside that, I have a very sedentary life. According to my data, I have a BMR of 1760.
I am training since almost 3 years, got decent results both in terms of fat loss and mass gain (started from almost 80 kg and bf 20%), but not so much considering that I train since 3 years. That's why I decided to start logging everything and follow super-strictly a training plan.
My fat is located on my lower abs, back and gluts. Everything else is fine.
For that, I need help for my cutting diet. Here is my current plan:

Breakfast:
- 170 gr greek yogurt 0.2
- 50 gr oatmeals

Snack:
- 10 almonds
- 40 gr dried beef
- 1 banana

Lunch:
- 150 gr chicken breast
- 200 gr potatoes / 80 gr brown bread
- 50 gr mixed salad
- 20 ml oil

Snack:
- 1 orange
- 60 gr dried beef
- 10 almonds

Pre-WO:
- 5 BCAA
- 1 scoop whey

Dinner:
- 3 eggs + 120 gr of light cream cheese / 140 gr tuna in olive oil / 200 gr chicken breast or red meat / 1 light mozzarella + 60 gr light cream cheese
- 80 gr brown bread
- 80 gr iceberg lettuce
- 150 gr tomatoes
- half onion
- 10 ml olive oil (if I don't eat eggs or tuna)

I workout late in the evening (10pm) and I take whey as pre-WO because if I eat food I will burp a lot. Post-WO is dinner. If I don't workout I have dinner earlier and then eat 170 gr greek yogurt 0.2 before going to bed.

Sometimes during the weekend I also eat lentils for lunch.

Total kcal: 1900. The plan is not strict, as I often have lunch not at home, but I rearrange the other meals in order to have at the end of the day a 40-30-30 (40 pro) split.

That said: opinions? Suggestions? How many kg should I lose per week? I am also not sure about the kcal. I am using MyFitnessPal to log everything and setting 0.75 kg per week as goal, it suggests me only 1600 kcal per day!
Should I eat less when I don't train at all? (I would go for 1750)

And what about carbs? Should I stop eating them for dinner and put them somewhere else? Or cut them out? Or do refill days?
And fats? I basically take them only from olive oil and almonds. Is it fine or should I try to use also other sources?

Would some morning cardio (30 min slow peace) help or would it be overtraining?

As you can see, I am full of questions and I really hope you can help me out.

Thanks!

benh2
05-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Get rid of the 40-30-40 macros.

Consume 2.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight and 1g of fat per kg of bodyweight. Set your calories at a 20% deficit of TDEE and once you have the minimum amounts of protein and fat, make up the rest of your calories with any combination of carbs or extra protein or fat. TDEE is quite easy to miscalculate so log your weight weekly and make necessary small changes to your calorie goal. You only want to be losing 0.5kg per week maximum otherwise you will experience muscle loss.

Personally I'd get rid of the BCAA because if you're getting enough varied protein anyway then you're just wasting your money.

Tumsinmuhbelly
05-25-2015, 01:59 PM
The diet looks pretty solid. As far as workouts, I'd spend more time on HIIT on your off days of lifting. It'll allow you to maintain most of your strength and muscle whilst burning excess fat. Just make sure not to do too much - maybe only 10-20 mins?

Tommy W.
05-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Figure how many calories it takes to maintain your weight and just eat less. Fat loss and even muscle gain is 80% calories. 10% macros, 5% meal timing and 5% supplements (caffeine, etc).

Get in your protein of around a gram for each lb. of bodyweight and fill the rest with whatever you want.

This is the broad stroke.......

freffo
05-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Get rid of the 40-30-40 macros.

Consume 2.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight and 1g of fat per kg of bodyweight. Set your calories at a 20% deficit of TDEE and once you have the minimum amounts of protein and fat, make up the rest of your calories with any combination of carbs or extra protein or fat. TDEE is quite easy to miscalculate so log your weight weekly and make necessary small changes to your calorie goal. You only want to be losing 0.5kg per week maximum otherwise you will experience muscle loss.

Personally I'd get rid of the BCAA because if you're getting enough varied protein anyway then you're just wasting your money.
Many thanks! I didn't know how much below my TDEE is enough, and also how many kg I should lose per week. Also, good to know about BCAA, guess I will save some money :D
I have two questions now: 20% less for me is 2000 kcal, so I will adjust my diet. However, this is for my workout days, right? What about days off?
Second: 2.2 g / kg for me is about 34% of kcal from pro, and 1 g / kg of fat is 35%. So I have to increase fat. However, you said that I can make up the rest as I want. Isn't there a "best" way to split the remaining kcal? I was reading that some people suggest to use carbs on workout days and fats on days off. Are there any guidelines?
Thanks again!

The diet looks pretty solid. As far as workouts, I'd spend more time on HIIT on your off days of lifting. It'll allow you to maintain most of your strength and muscle whilst burning excess fat. Just make sure not to do too much - maybe only 10-20 mins?
I was doing HIIT and for 1 month and half and got some decent results, but I also started feeling too tired and didn't progress at the gym, I was even decreasing the weights I lifted. That's why I decided to change program. However, during August when I will not be able to go to the gym I am planning to start it again if necessary!

Figure how many calories it takes to maintain your weight and just eat less. Fat loss and even muscle gain is 80% calories. 10% macros, 5% meal timing and 5% supplements (caffeine, etc).

Get in your protein of around a gram for each lb. of bodyweight and fill the rest with whatever you want.

Thanks! This brings me to another question: so does caffeine really help? I don't drink it but I have no particular reason for not starting, so maybe I can start.

Tommy W.
05-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Many thanks! I didn't know how much below my TDEE is enough, and also how many kg I should lose per week. Also, good to know about BCAA, guess I will save some money :D
I have two questions now: 20% less for me is 2000 kcal, so I will adjust my diet. However, this is for my workout days, right? What about days off?
Second: 2.2 g / kg for me is about 34% of kcal from pro, and 1 g / kg of fat is 35%. So I have to increase fat. However, you said that I can make up the rest as I want. Isn't there a "best" way to split the remaining kcal? I was reading that some people suggest to use carbs on workout days and fats on days off. Are there any guidelines?
Thanks again!

I was doing HIIT and for 1 month and half and got some decent results, but I also started feeling too tired and didn't progress at the gym, I was even decreasing the weights I lifted. That's why I decided to change program. However, during August when I will not be able to go to the gym I am planning to start it again if necessary!

Thanks! This brings me to another question: so does caffeine really help? I don't drink it but I have no particular reason for not starting, so maybe I can start.Well when every fat burner is mainly caffeine you can pretty much figure it out. Curbs appetite, gives you a huge amount of energy and helps to mobilize fat (theoretically) then yeah it's a valid supp. Personally, I don't even think of training without it.

teebone21
05-25-2015, 07:09 PM

best advice, OP what you need to realize is that everyones body is different when it comes to fat loss. Fat loss is as easy as finding out what calorie amount works for you. When it comes to the extras like supplements and cardio, some guys need it others down. I for one lose fat faster when i jog and eat 240g of carb/protein and 53g fat. Took me months to find the ratio and calorie amount that works for me.

TDDE doesn't work for everyone. I come from a family of overweight people with slow metabolisms and i have to eat 2100 calories just to lose weight. According to all these calculators and professional I am supposed to be eating close to 2800 but that is my weight game calories even with 5 days of weights and cardio per week.

benh2
05-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Thanks again!

I eat the same on both workout and non-workout days.

I don't think there is a "best" way to split the remaining. Carbs are desirable but non-essential at the end of the day (if you consider fibre separate). As long as you get your recommended protein and fat minimums then it's entirely up to you. Some people react better to more carbs with the minimum amount of fat, whereas someone like me does better with low carbs and a higher amount of fat. Just experiment in that regard.

TDDE doesn't work for everyone. I come from a family of overweight people with slow metabolisms and i have to eat 2100 calories just to lose weight. According to all these calculators and professional I am supposed to be eating close to 2800 but that is my weight game calories even with 5 days of weights and cardio per week.

Surely that just means you're calculating TDEE wrong?

freffo
05-26-2015, 06:54 AM
Well when every fat burner is mainly caffeine you can pretty much figure it out. Curbs appetite, gives you a huge amount of energy and helps to mobilize fat (theoretically) then yeah it's a valid supp. Personally, I don't even think of training without it.
Ok, I will start drinking it!

best advice, OP what you need to realize is that everyones body is different when it comes to fat loss. Fat loss is as easy as finding out what calorie amount works for you. When it comes to the extras like supplements and cardio, some guys need it others down. I for one lose fat faster when i jog and eat 240g of carb/protein and 53g fat. Took me months to find the ratio and calorie amount that works for me.

Yes, of course. I was just looking for some guidelines :) For instance I didn't know how much to cut from my TDEE. Now I will start following these guidelines and adjust my plan if necessary.

I eat the same on both workout and non-workout days.

I don't think there is a "best" way to split the remaining. Carbs are desirable but non-essential at the end of the day (if you consider fibre separate). As long as you get your recommended protein and fat minimums then it's entirely up to you. Some people react better to more carbs with the minimum amount of fat, whereas someone like me does better with low carbs and a higher amount of fat. Just experiment in that regard.

Perfect!

You guys are being of great help! I have one final question left (guess it's more a detail, but I would like to know more about that).
What about fat type? Is it ok (from a "health point of view", not just for fat loss) to basically get fats only from almonds and oil (the amount I take from dairy is really small)? Or should I try to eat some fat fish or flaxseed? I was reading that there are suggested % of fat type to take, but I was wondering if this is just a minor detail that doesn't matter unless you have specific health issues.

Thanks again!

benh2
05-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Just avoid hydrogenated (lab created) fats and you'll be fine. This is basically in packaged food to prolong shelf life. Double check your peanut butter to make sure there is no palm oil.

freffo
05-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Just avoid hydrogenated (lab created) fats and you'll be fine. This is basically in packaged food to prolong shelf life. Double check your peanut butter to make sure there is no palm oil.

Perfect, thanks!
It turned out that MyFitnessPal does not have the fat split for the almonds I am eating (scanned the bar code, for the fat split has NA) and according to it I was always eating a very small amount of monounsaturated fats. That's why I asked, my fat split at the end of the day was strange!

Anyway, I think you guys have replied to all my questions and doubts, thanks again!