PDA

View Full Version : Should I use pre-workout?

scrummy1Dots
05-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Hello!
I am posting this question in "Supplement Science" because I am a chemist and like explanations given to me at a technical and molecular level :P I am a 21 year old female and have been lifting pretty regularly since early high school. I've gotten more serious with the sport the past few years but want to up my game. I am generally hesitant to take supplements because I don't like ingesting something if I don't know how if interacts with my body (and I'm on a college student budget...saving for vet school!). I use Gold Standard natural whey protein and take a multivitamin, but other than that rely on food.

Convince me whether or not I should add pre-workout to the mix. Ready...GO!

gbullock32
05-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Do you 'need' one? Nope? Skip it.

Yes? Take one.

cumminslifter
05-23-2015, 08:00 PM
If you have to ask people on the internet whether you should or not...you probably shouldnt

Loyalist
05-30-2015, 04:12 AM
I voted Yes, for the following reasons.
- I find it helps (I work out very early in the morning, pre workouts "Get me to the gym")
- I can afford it (I am not limited to a student budget)

Your experience may vary.

SittingPress
06-04-2015, 04:38 PM
I think it would be a good idea to tell us your goals. Muscle? Fat loss? Strength? Power?

Why might you need one? How are your workouts? Do you tend to fatigue fast? How often and for how long do you workout? Cardio?
Any good scientist knows, more data means better predictive analysis.

jcrosslin
06-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Every person is different. Some days I feel like I need one and others I don't. I usually have 2 cups of coffee each morning with breakfast before working out. Usually I am fine with that. If I work out later in the day, sometimes I take one, and sometimes even after coffee (ie on leg day) I will take one.

scrummy1Dots
06-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Right now, probably fat-loss because I added a lot of "insulation" this pat semester. I have a fair amount of muscle because I enjoy the lifting portion. So I'm trying to do more cardio. I love the gym so diet is the hardest part for me. I usually lift for 40 min then cardio for 30 min. Since I work out alone I'm not always confident enough to really push myself :'( I play rugby so speed, agility, endurance, strength, coordination, and power are all necessary.

I think it would be a good idea to tell us your goals. Muscle? Fat loss? Strength? Power?

Why might you need one? How are your workouts? Do you tend to fatigue fast? How often and for how long do you workout? Cardio?
Any good scientist knows, more data means better predictive analysis.

kydcali
07-11-2015, 03:41 AM
I prefer just having coffee or tea since it has caffeine. I used pre-work out about a year ago and my body eventually got used to it and I needed more, more, then more.. It all depends on what you want though :)

JonBana
07-22-2015, 04:03 PM
It doesn't hurt to try one if you can afford one , specially for those days where you're low on energy from either work / school lake of sleep and need a real pick me up before the gym , you cannot go wrong with a pre-workout in my eyes but you don't need one as well all personal choice , I use them because I can feel and see the difference when I do

NaturalPursuit
07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
It doesn't hurt to try one if you can afford one , specially for those days where you're low on energy from either work / school lake of sleep and need a real pick me up before the gym , you cannot go wrong with a pre-workout in my eyes but you don't need one as well all personal choice , I use them because I can feel and see the difference when I do

One of the better answers I've seen posted on pres! Repped

mikeguima
07-26-2015, 01:43 PM
My take is not to waste money on pre-workouts. Becoming dependent on anything is usually bad, pre-workouts are no different. Be carefull not to eat too much and/or too many carbs pre-workout and you should feel fine and energetic. For the days when you feel like you need an extra boost, take some caffeine pre-workout.

StriveForHonor
08-01-2015, 11:46 PM
If I had the choice not to drop $40-$50 a month on pre-workout, I definitely wouldn't. However, I attribute many of my successes in the gym lately to my supplementation, (or rather, my whole stack) and it seems that my pre-workout gives me a little more intensity, which is something that I lack otherwise. I lifted weights all through high school and absolutely hated it, so sometimes I'd catch myself wanting to be lazy when I started working out again. After taking pre-workout? Never again. Perhaps it's just a mindset, but I'm a very particular person when it comes to a routine, and when I find something that works, I leave it be.

I would offer the same recommendation as most everyone else; if you have the resources, feel free to give it a go, especially on days where you are feeling particularly sluggish.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

-KL

NaturalPursuit
08-02-2015, 12:36 PM
If I had the choice not to drop $40-$50 a month on pre-workout, I definitely wouldn't. However, I attribute many of my successes in the gym lately to my supplementation, (or rather, my whole stack) and it seems that my pre-workout gives me a little more intensity, which is something that I lack otherwise. I lifted weights all through high school and absolutely hated it, so sometimes I'd catch myself wanting to be lazy when I started working out again. After taking pre-workout? Never again. Perhaps it's just a mindset, but I'm a very particular person when it comes to a routine, and when I find something that works, I leave it be.

I would offer the same recommendation as most everyone else; if you have the resources, feel free to give it a go, especially on days where you are feeling particularly sluggish.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

-KL

Whats the stack looking like dude?

thackes1
08-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I encourage you to research the nutritional biochemistry and pharmacology of each compound in a product before using it. However, I will say that many preworkouts on the market are safe and do provide some performance benefit. There is a wealth of academic research connecting many of the compounds in preworkouts to performance benefit and health benefits.

thackes1
08-19-2015, 09:54 PM
However, while you're on a college budget, there may be smarter ways to spend money than preworkouts though many are pretty affordable. You can also find a lot of free giveaways and samples out there and test it out for yourself. Chemists usually like to experiment!

graysonthacker
08-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Hello!
I am posting this question in "Supplement Science" because I am a chemist and like explanations given to me at a technical and molecular level :P I am a 21 year old female and have been lifting pretty regularly since early high school. I've gotten more serious with the sport the past few years but want to up my game. I am generally hesitant to take supplements because I don't like ingesting something if I don't know how if interacts with my body (and I'm on a college student budget...saving for vet school!). I use Gold Standard natural whey protein and take a multivitamin, but other than that rely on food.

Pre-workouts have done wonders for me. Since you're apparently a fan of ON's Gold Standard Whey, why not try Gold Standard Pre-workout!

thackes1
09-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Hello!

What did you end up deciding on?