PDA

View Full Version : 'Flushing out sodium'

SanderTheGG
05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I was wondering, if you just ate a meal high in sodium, but you drink a lot of water after that meal, will it 'flush out' some sodium? Or will nothing happen?
Just curious..

And i know drinking too much water is bad for you.

Rafase282
05-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I was wondering, if you just ate a meal high in sodium, but you drink a lot of water after that meal, will it 'flush out' some sodium? Or will nothing happen?
Just curious..

And i know drinking too much water is bad for you.

I would say drink plenty of water, and go low sodium for a little while just to be on the safe side.

JWoodCF10
05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
unless you have a kidney problem, don't worry about it. Two things happen if you eat to much sodium. Firstly you can end up holding on to more water, and get a bit of bloat weight gain.

Or if you truly eat to much, it will act like a laxative.

epicstory
05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
eat some potassium

Gen1GT
05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
eat some potassium

This, and research tonicity if you're extremely curious.

Long story short, sodium will move towards an area of lower concentration. If you consume a lot of sodium at once, your blood sodium rises. Because your cells will have lower sodium, the sodium will enter the cells.

Conversely, by drinking a lot of water, your blood will be hypotonic, and then want to pull the cellular sodium back out.

However, the act of consuming high sodium and then subsequently drinking a lot of water to reduce it, will cause temporary water retention and high blood pressure.

I'm not doctor, so someone correct me if I'm wrong here. LOL