PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about TDEE

pgowdy
05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I have a quick question about TDEE how exercise plays into it. I've read all the stickies, and I understand IIFYM. My big question is how exactly exercise fits into my eating habits on a day to day basis.

For example, when calculating my TDEE I say a exercise 5 times a week. This includes a weight lifting and cycling. My TDEE comes out somewhere around 2600-2700. I'm eating around 2000 calories a day as a part of my cut. I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and exercise. On a day when I cycle for 2 hours, according to MyFitnessPal, I can eat an additional 1200 calories that day. Should I listen to this? Should I actually be able to consume that many more calories a day or is all of this already calculated into my TDEE and I should continue to consume my 2000 calories? If I'm planning on drinking during a weekend night, for example, I'll put in an extra long bike ride (50-60 miles) so that I can fit in the calories. Does this type of logic hold true?

Thanks!

loganhart
05-05-2015, 04:26 PM
TDEE is a rough estimate based on a weekly average.

There may be spikes and dips in activity from time to time, but the difference this would make on a large scale is negligible.

Eating back calories or increasing activity to counter act nutrition slip ups is not advised.

So,

Calculate your TDEE, adjust calories until you find maintenance or until you are at a desired rate of loss/gain (+/- 10-20%). Continue adjusting as you're weight loss/gain slows to maintenance again.

EjnarKolinkar
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Eating relatively steady and tracking actual intake and progress really works well.