PDA

View Full Version : Please physique elders - help a noob - waist/hip issue

JJolly
04-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Hi guys, I'm sure you're sick of these posts but I'm hoping someone could chime in.

I'll try and keep it short;

used to be fat - lost a lot of weight and then skinnyfat. Began training around strength, lots of 5x5's.
Got much stronger but not much to look at still.

Decided I want to train my discipline around dieting and see if I can hit 10% bf (also so i can confirm if i have gyno and to see how wide my hips are once I shed the fat.

I'm pretty sure I have ****in' gyno but i'll get it removed once I get lean. The concern here is my waist-hip ratio. I store most of my fat on my love handles and lower abdominals and the bone is about 2/3's of an inch in on each side. I'm hoping with enough back and shoulder work I'll get wide enough on top to get a great taper however the wide hips throw me off. Should I be avoiding or training anything in particular or should I stop being a bitch and grow more?

I can't post pictures here but I've got it in my gallery photos if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

thanks in advance guys - p.s. I know i'm horrifically small but I had a lot of fat to shift. As pathetic as it might sound, I really had a hard time eating less but I've flicked some switches and the progress is slowly coming now. Mass will start piling on around august if I can hit 10% bf or atleast get rid of this horrible hip fat lol

O1111
04-24-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm not a physique competitor, but I can speak from experience for you. I've always struggled with looking skinny fat. Wide hips, gyno, etc. First off, what you have to understand is that your physique is a direct reflection of your overall health and diet. Skinny fat bodies come from something hormonal, causing you to store body fat in "feminine" areas. These hormonal changes come from stress, poor diet, lack of nutrition, etc.

I always thought this was genetic, thought I had wide hips, and simply used it as an excuse to slack. However, I became very serious about my diet and training, and all of a sudden, I started developing a very thin waist (28 inch waist), a nice v taper, a toned stomach, and basically, the opposite of what I once was.

What I changed was that I started lifting more weights. I used to lift alot during highschool and was very muscular, but stopped in college and became skinny fat from all the pot smoking and binge eating I was doing. This was perhaps the most significant factor out of all of them. The hormonal benefits, as well as the nutrient partitioning effect of having muscle mass will help tremendously. Think about it, those body parts that you want to be "non skinny fat" just need some muscle; that is, a MUSCULAR composition. So, if you develop and weight train those areas, they will LOOK muscular and hence, toned. People say you can't spot reduce, but they're being too technical. If that were the case, why...say, train biceps in the first place? You get the point.

Now for diet, switching to a high protein diet helped tremendously too. I try to aim for 1.5g/lb body weight, which is on the higher side. However, this gave me most noticeable physique improvement. From what i've read, that skinny fat stuff you're talkin about has to do with stuff like insulin resistance and what not, which is a subject I don't know about, nor am I reliable source of information on the matter because I haven't studied it.

Cardio, forget what you hear. The people who talk trash about cardio are the one's who just hate on the fact that they're too lazy to do it. I always incorporate cardio into my routine because it keeps me lean.

Now as for the gyno, I had to get cosmetic surgery for that. cost me about 4,000 dollars, but was worth every penny. However, gyno surgery is not going to make your nipples smaller. You're gonna have a flat chest, with your old nipples still intact. They do shrink a little bit, but, you might as well accept the fact that it's not gonna look "perfect" how you want it to, never. Unless you're nipples do somehow shrink or something.

You might be wonderin why should I trust this dude who's only 155 lbs. Well, as mentioned I used to lift alot back in highschool and recently picked back up on it. Back in the day I used to squat 315 lbs for 5 reps, had a pretty good bench etc. This **** is my hobby and passion. So...there's my 2 cents.

JJolly
04-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm not a physique competitor, but I can speak from experience for you........-cont-....... recently picked back up on it. Back in the day I used to squat 315 lbs for 5 reps, had a pretty good bench etc. This **** is my hobby and passion. So...there's my 2 cents.

Hey dude, thanks so much for your response.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear - There is no doubt that my body composition comes from doing the same **** that my father and brother currently do. Low protein high carb diets, no exercise, lifestyle that promotes low testosterone etc etc.

Since lifting intensely and changing my diet my body has come far (believe it or not, this is far for me) and its still heading in the right direction so I'm glad that you had the exact same experience.

I'm glad to hear that gyno surgery takes away the largest issue. My nipples don't feel too large, they look a little larger in the picture to how they look in the mirror so I don't mind at all if they don't shrink, I just need that outwards mass removed. I'm happy for you knowing it helped a lot.
I'll continue doing what I'm doing at the moment then as it seems to be the same as what you're doing - high protein and less **** overall.
As for cardio, that is something that I haven't really done and I do find it quite boring however if you feel it worked then I think it is atleast worth me doing it for a few months to see how it affects me too - do you do low intensity steady state or higher intensity stuff?

Thanks for your response - it is quite valuable to me

O1111
04-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Hey dude, thanks so much for your response.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear - There is no doubt that my body composition comes from doing the same **** that my father and brother currently do. Low protein high carb diets, no exercise, lifestyle that promotes low testosterone etc etc.

Since lifting intensely and changing my diet my body has come far (believe it or not, this is far for me) and its still heading in the right direction so I'm glad that you had the exact same experience.

I'm glad to hear that gyno surgery takes away the largest issue. My nipples don't feel too large, they look a little larger in the picture to how they look in the mirror so I don't mind at all if they don't shrink, I just need that outwards mass removed. I'm happy for you knowing it helped a lot.
I'll continue doing what I'm doing at the moment then as it seems to be the same as what you're doing - high protein and less **** overall.
As for cardio, that is something that I haven't really done and I do find it quite boring however if you feel it worked then I think it is atleast worth me doing it for a few months to see how it affects me too - do you do low intensity steady state or higher intensity stuff?

Thanks for your response - it is quite valuable to me

I actually do alot of running. Like 5 miles every other day. I need higher protein to compensate, and my strength gains aren't that fast because of it, but I like what it does to my overall physique. Plus, I have ridiculous muscle memory from my past, so the moment I stop doing cardio and bulk, I get a lot of muscle fast.

In my opinion, running is the best form of cardio. Its natural. There's something about using a "machine" that just doesn't seem right to me, so I only do running.

Also, WORK YOUR ABS OUT! There's a misnomer out there but abs give you a bulky physique, but in reality, the only people who utter this crap are dudes who look like solid blocks of **** and are just too lazy to do abs. I used to never do abs because I thought it was all diet. However, working your abs makes a HUGE difference. Plus, a 30-40 min ab session burns alot of calories, so its a win win.

mot1ve
05-01-2015, 07:49 PM
This is a simple question I see alot. What your defining is normal human structure. Skeletal structure does not change when it comes to weight training after a certain age. Especially with large bones like hips. Alot of this stuff has to do with genetics. But what will work is when you even your body out and mold your muscle and burn fat.. It will start looking better. Just trust and believe in it.