PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going paleo

akabido
04-23-2015, 11:48 PM
I've been on a paleo template for almost 2 years (no gluten,no diary) without even knowing i was on it.
The only thing i still have on my diet that are not paleo friendly are rice and peanuts.
I was thinking about swapping rice with sweet potatoes or potatoes(i'll have to eat 1.5-2kg to get to my carb target)
And improving my micronutrient profile wich was always lacking due to the huge amount of rice i was eating (always been on 60 30 10 carb pro fat on my bulking phase)
I was thinking about a more moderate approach like 30(carb)30(pro)40(fat) or 40 30 30
What you guys think ?
My calories are around 3600-4000 a day depending on the bodypart trained and if i am working on that day (currently as waiter part-time)

My concern is not that calorie intake but getting 1.5 to 2kg of sweet potatoes/yams/potatoes might be harmful over an extended period of time

ErikTheElectric
04-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Highly suggest you read OP:

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

nakkiz
04-24-2015, 12:11 AM
My concern is not that calorie intake but getting 1.5 to 2kg of sweet potatoes/yams/potatoes might be harmful over an extended period of time

Extremely boring at the very least.

Erik's link covers everything.

Mrpb
04-24-2015, 12:55 AM
The only thing i still have on my diet that are not paleo friendly are rice and peanuts.

Nothing wrong with rice or peanuts. Paleo is a collection of bro science.

Read this: http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/

AddingPins
04-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Definitely take a look at the links provided.

Question for you, why did you cut grains and dairy out in the first place?

Determinednoob
04-24-2015, 05:01 AM
Don't eat me bro

akabido
04-24-2015, 05:02 AM
Thanks guys ! I was about to do something foolish 😱

digistp
04-24-2015, 05:14 AM
wow. someone actually listened for once

ironwill2008
04-24-2015, 05:20 AM
I was thinking about swapping rice with sweet potatoes or potatoes....

Potatoes are on the "Do Not Eat" list.

snorkelman
04-24-2015, 05:40 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/29wnz7p.jpg

InItForFitness
04-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Potatoes are on the "Do Not Eat" list.

This alone is reason enough to know it's an idiotic plan.

EjnarKolinkar
04-24-2015, 05:51 AM
I seriously thought once about going full paleo as well OP. In the end I decided to be more diverse in my intake. I think if you want to replace some rice with some other carb sources in effort to get better micros, no reason not to do so even if those foods aren't paleo.

I'd spread the 1.5-2kg of sweet potato over more food choices to get more variety.

snorkelman
04-24-2015, 06:13 AM
I seriously thought once about going full paleo as well OP.

Oh the irony about "going full paleo" and "going full potato."

EjnarKolinkar
04-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Oh the irony about "going full paleo" and "going full potato."

Lol, paleo documentary on PBS almost got me when I was in goodyear blimp mode.

But those nightshades stole my heart.

ironwill2008
04-24-2015, 07:26 AM

Plus the fact that the majority of food items on the paleo 'do not eat' list happen to be bodybuilding staples, and have been ever since there have been bodybuilders.

digistp
05-03-2015, 03:42 PM
They're referring to white potatoes. Sweet potatoes are encouraged.
pls go

necon76
05-03-2015, 05:24 PM
pls go

You go.

Let's all go!

ElrondHubbard
05-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Never understood the ban on peanuts. My wife can't eat nightshades, so potatoes and tomatoes and chiles are out for us at home anyway. Sweet potatoes are great, though, and we still have grains in moderate amounts. I think paleo is a good concept overall, but it's taken a bit too extreme.

mikem2104
05-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Yup!

waydeross
05-03-2015, 06:16 PM
I too thought about switching to the diet that cavemen lived on. But than i thought about it. They lived to age 30, and by excluding food groups you lack micronutrients. No dairy? Where do you get your calcium. I also enjoy going out with friends, and having a social life. That's just me.

jwarrenfit
05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
ive been gluten free, processed dairy free and mostly soy free for 3 years now. Best move of my life for energy, body composition, gut health, skin, and overall health my lipid profile is better... lower c-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation.

Alexandre76
05-04-2015, 12:19 AM
I too thought about switching to the diet that cavemen lived on. But than i thought about it. They lived to age 30, and by excluding food groups you lack micronutrients. No dairy? Where do you get your calcium. I also enjoy going out with friends, and having a social life. That's just me.

You don't lack micronutrients on a paleo diet, not if you eat fish, organ meats and plenty of vegetables. I think paleo is bull**** but the concern isn't about micros, it's the social aspect, restrictive food choices for no good reason.

snorkelman
05-04-2015, 06:29 AM
No dairy? Where do you get your calcium.

Paleo people can still eat foods rich in calcium such as mackerel, sardines, salmon, broccoli, spinach, arugula, and figs.

latex55
05-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Was at a bookstore the other day and saw a paleo book and for s and giggles picked it up

Got through 3 pages and they listed foods that are dirty and should be limited or cut out completely

Beans
Quinoa
Potatoes
Dairy
Corn
Even spinach they said was super dirty

I laughed and put it back down. Such a scam. 100% bro science

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the average age of cavemen like 30?

AFC96
05-04-2015, 06:47 AM

Probably because they got eaten by a Dinosaur or something.

Note: I know Dinosaur did not exist together with the cavemen, but I don't know what other animals to name for an example.

snorkelman
05-04-2015, 06:48 AM

What? That makes absolutely no sense, unless of course you are talking about washing it, as it grows in dirt.

I thought that pretty much all veggies are paleo-approved.

Yeahbrah333
05-04-2015, 06:51 AM
eating 4k cals of pancakes atm op with syrup fuarrrk it feeeels sexy

devilbones
05-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Was at a bookstore the other day and saw a paleo book and for s and giggles picked it up

Got through 3 pages and they listed foods that are dirty and should be limited or cut out completely

Beans
Quinoa
Potatoes
Dairy
Corn

I laughed and put it back down. Such a scam. 100% bro science

The infant mortality rate was higher which caused the average age to be lower.

Mrpb
05-04-2015, 07:49 AM
The infant mortality rate was higher which caused the average age to be lower.

Regardless of that, it was rare for someone to live past 40.

EjnarKolinkar
05-04-2015, 07:51 AM
ive been gluten free, processed dairy free and mostly soy free for 3 years now. Best move of my life for energy, body composition, gut health, skin, and overall health my lipid profile is better... lower c-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation.

Ive had all the same results eating all those foods you are excluding. Its almost as if health is driven by exercise, weight, and overall quality of intake?

jwarrenfit
05-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Ive had all the same results eating all those foods you are excluding. Its almost as if health is driven by exercise, weight, and overall quality of intake?

For me- I was in good shape before but not as lean and it was tougher. I had to count cals. I also had a lot of gut issues including ulcers. They all went away when I cut the **** out. Maybe I was a little extreme possible due to my extremely poor eating habits growing up but most people feel better and lose weight faster when limiting them. Not everyone needs to avoid them completely like I do but it's easier for me to be all or none

Side note. You look ridiculous in your avi

devilbones
05-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Regardless of that, it was rare for someone to live past 40.
Life expectancy for a Male in the US in 1918 was 36.6.

Yafassihim
05-04-2015, 08:20 AM
How do you guys go dairy-free ? These protein farts are killing me, but I don't know how to substitute my milk/whey with. Are you guys all on almond milk and whey isolate ? ( Dairy free dudes )

i_will
05-04-2015, 08:24 AM
No waffles, No cake, No way.

Gxp23
05-04-2015, 08:29 AM
How do you guys go dairy-free ? These protein farts are killing me, but I don't know how to substitute my milk/whey with. Are you guys all on almond milk and whey isolate ? ( Dairy free dudes )
Uhm, you dont need any whey or milk, so dont worry about it.

Mrpb
05-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Life expectancy for a Male in the US in 1918 was 36.6.

Life expectancy in 2012 was 78.8 years.

Yafassihim
05-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Uhm, you dont need any whey or milk, so dont worry about it.

Well, I do put milk in my oat every morning, should I switch to water ? I find whey protein very convenient, because I don't think I can hit my protein macro without it, I can hit my carb very very easily but protein ..

Kurtsolak313
05-04-2015, 09:25 AM
I would think again...Lol

IIFYM. Fill your diet with quality foods and be in a deficit. You'll lose or maintain weight very well and not binge eat or feel the need to cheat.

devilbones
05-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Life expectancy in 2012 was 78.8 years.
Ok so what does this have to do with OPs question or anything else related to this thread? I responded that the life expectancy rate was lower because of a high infant mortality rate and you responded that ppl didn't live past 40, in the Paleolithic era, which I assume the diet is based upon. I responded that males in the US in 1918 had a life expectancy of 36.6 (which is due to war, disease, lack of medicine, etc.). And you respond with some arbitrary data from 2012? You ninja edited your original response and now just posting some garbage.

Mrpb
05-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Ok so what does this have to do with OPs question or anything else related to this thread?

My point was: life expectancy is much higher now than in the paleolithic area.

Is the diet one of the causing factors? I don't know but I do find it ironic.

Would be nice if there was objective science showing the acclaimed benefits of the paleo diet. I haven't seen it yet. Personally I don't see much health benefits coming from avoiding whole grains and dairy, unless one has an intolerance.

DannPM
05-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I just want to know what the next fad is. Start a blog, write a book, make some major money.

The best idea I could come up with (to start one) would be the carrot diet. Cartoon picture of a “sexy” carrot on the front of the book, dress appearance resembling Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's (tight black dress, wide brimmed floppy hat, sunglasses, etc.)

The diet would be based around carrots in pretty much everything. Carrot curry, carrot cake, grilled carrots, carrot dip, raw carrots for snacks, etc. Adds a lot of fiber vs SAD, some people might lose weight on that due to increased satiety, they would of course, be the poster children on my marketing campaign. Not the mention the number of individual studies showing something in a carrot does something (in a petri dish) to prevent x,y,z diseases I could (inappropriately) cite.

It sounds stupid (it is stupid), but tell someone in 1995 that you had caveman diet, they’d say the same thing.

VicMackey92
05-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Highly suggest you read OP:

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

great read, thanks for the link

EjnarKolinkar
05-04-2015, 12:17 PM

Confucius say he with windy canyon sleep alone.

Protron farts from milk? Maybe you just pounding too much whey?

Mrpb
05-07-2015, 01:59 AM
Some more details on previous discussion:

"A cross examination of hunter gatherer populations published in 2007 Population and Development Review found that, when you include infant mortality, our Paleolithic ancestors lived to about 15-20, and that really sucks. With the advent of agriculture this climbed to about 25, which still really sucks. But even if you survive to 40, your risk of death goes up exponentially each year. Also: sucks."

http://www.bodyforwife.com/paleo-infant-mortality-and-dumb-****s-on-facebook/

Great article by the way. Not if you're a Paleo fan.

snorkelman
05-07-2015, 04:32 AM
LINK

Just an FYI, the asterisks need to be replaced with the "F" word, not the "S" word

akabido
05-20-2015, 04:26 PM
not use it anymore ,you could still use egg/beef protein, but i prefer not using either of them ,just bcaa,creatine ,multivitamin and FOOD!
this post got so far lol they talkin about how much time they lived in the past and how sh*** paleo is hahahah
anyway now i've gone the other way ,still lactose and gluten free and no processed food of course and more veggies in my plan.

Canadiantuxedo
05-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Good thing this thread is Paleo, cause it's just full of potato