PDA

View Full Version : what is a great go-to healthy breakfast?

hendrix2323
04-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't always like to give up junk food at supper time. Sometimes l like a burger, or slice of pizza, and it is what it is. But, breakfast I have no real desire to eat junk and for this ~20% of my daily caloric intake I'm aiming for the following goals

1. It has to be easy. Can't be cooking bacon an eggs before work. Would prefer not much more difficulty/time consumption than cereal.

2. Has to give sustained energy/hunger cessation, till at worst 4-5 hours if I get caught up at work, and can't get a snack before lunch. No energy spikes. I do not want to be hungry at 11.

3. Aims to promote good lean body composition.

4. Gives a good serving of vitamins and minerals.

5. Limit heart, and artery damage

Lately I have been having the following.

Basically my questions are can I tweak this to improve it with meeting the above goals better? And, are there any other great options that would meet my above goals that come to mind?

200g fat free cottage cheese
200g greek yogurt
1/2 cup frozen berries

The nutrional profile is somewhere in the ballpark of....

Low hypoglycemic load carbs
350 calories
48g protein
28g carbs from sugars
5g carbs from fiber
5mg cholesterol
13% of daily sodium intake
51% of daily calcium intake
50% of daily vitamin C intake.

ErikTheElectric
04-19-2015, 10:04 PM
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y461/Eriktheelectric/null_zps430c8e37.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Eriktheelectric/media/null_zps430c8e37.jpg.html)

Mrpb
04-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Oatmeal pancakes. Every day. Sometimes twice per day.

FatJambob
04-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Was gunna say bacon and eggs but you ruled that out!

hendrix2323
04-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Oatmeal pancakes. Every day. Sometimes twice per day.
That takes way too long for my goals here. Need to be able to make it in <2 minutes.

loganhart
04-20-2015, 05:13 AM
Left overs from the day/night before.

I broke my fast with 2 slices of cold meat lovers yesterday.

ShyGuyXS
04-20-2015, 05:22 AM
3. Aims to promote good lean body composition.

Just FYI, no single food does this. Anything that's quick and easy and satisfies you for a while should fit the bill.

Overnight oatmeal works for me on busy mornings. I just mix in some oats and milk, top with GY, fruit, and nuts/PB, and store in the fridge in a jar overnight. It's ready to eat when I wake up.

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Just FYI, no single food does this. Anything that's quick and easy and satisfies you for a while should fit the bill.
?

If I eat pizza, Chinese food, and McDonalds every meal vs. eating tuna, chicken, vegetables, eggs, every meal I'm going to end up a hell of a lot higher body fat% on one of those diets, and a lot leaner on the other.

baknforth101
04-20-2015, 08:23 AM
oatmeal, fresh fruit, whole wheat flakes cereal, nice healthy smoothie with fruits/flax/spinach, eggs, turkey bacon, etc

Kurtsolak313
04-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Microwave 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water, and make a whey protein shake with 1 scoop and 8 oz of water. simple.

Thanshin
04-20-2015, 08:27 AM
A protein bar and an iced expresso.

ErikTheElectric
04-20-2015, 09:01 AM
?

If I eat pizza, Chinese food, and McDonalds every meal vs. eating tuna, chicken, vegetables, eggs, every meal I'm going to end up a hell of a lot higher body fat% on one of those diets, and a lot leaner on the other.

nope.

InItForFitness
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Pop Tarts & Green Monster.

InItForFitness
04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
?

FYI, I eat pizza, chinese, and McDonalds, a hell of a lot more than I eat Tuna & Chicken, and look at my physique...does that answer your question?

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 09:18 AM
nope.

Yes

InItForFitness
04-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Yes

Actually, no. You're wrong.

ironwill2008
04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
?

If calories and macros are the same in both of your examples, how could there be a different body composition outcome?

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 10:44 AM
If calories and macros are the same in both of your examples, how could there be a different body composition outcome?

I'm not going to pretend to know a **** ton about this, but from what I can tell calories and macros are nowhere near the same. If I eat enough standard North American Chinese food (battered chicken balls, deep fried shirmp, fried rice, slathered in some red sauce that is pure sugar) to feel full, I could probably eat my entire daily allotment of calories in 1 sitting, and then be hungry again in an hour. I don't see how that would be equally conducive to being in shape compared to a meal that could get me equally as full, for longer, with 1/4 the calories.

Sure if I could find junk food that gave the exact same calories, and macros as a more healthy option they would be the same, but pretty much by definition they wouldn't be junk food if that were the case. Eating half a slice of pizza so that you get the same amount of calories as some other healthy option, isn't much of an option.

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Actually, no. You're wrong.
I was more-so pointing out that 1 word answers that do nothing to achieve comprehension between 2 differing positions in a discussion are pointless, tbh.

ToolTime2120
04-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Protein pancakes with flax seed and walden farms syrup

Every day for the last year srs. Never gets old

ironwill2008
04-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm not going to pretend to know a **** ton about this, but from what I can tell calories and macros are nowhere near the same. If I eat enough standard North American Chinese food (battered chicken balls, deep fried shirmp, fried rice, slathered in some red sauce that is pure sugar) to feel full, I could probably eat my entire daily allotment of calories in 1 sitting, and then be hungry again in an hour. I don't see how that would be equally conducive to being in shape compared to a meal that could get me equally as full, for longer, with 1/4 the calories.

Satiety is another matter altogether. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not the names of the foods to be concerned with but rather, their macro and micro content.

Eat what you enjoy that fits into your daily calorie/macro/micro requirement.

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Satiety is another matter altogether. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not the names of the foods to be concerned with but rather, their macro and micro content.

Eat what you enjoy that fits into your daily calorie/macro/micro requirement.
How is satiety another matter? Isn't it directly a result of the calories/macros?

I mean, lets say I have a breakfast with a breakdown of 400 calories/50g protein/10g fiber/10g sugars. How am I suppose to achieve that by eating pizza? There's no combo of pizza in the world that is going to provide that.

Could you point out what I'm missing here? It seems like the argument that you guys are putting forth is convoluted, theoretic, and not based in reality but I'm going to assume I'm missing something else in the point. I mean it would be cool if McDonalds burgers/fries could provide me with the same calories/macros-> weight loss as a plate of chicken and vegetables, but is it really feasible to east 1/4 of the burger, and 5 french fries?

jdrush
04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Sure if I could find junk food that gave the exact same calories, and macros as a more healthy option they would be the same, but pretty much by definition they wouldn't be junk food if that were the case. Eating half a slice of pizza so that you get the same amount of calories as some other healthy option, isn't much of an option.

That's where you're confusing yourself. Yes McD's until you're full vs Chicken and veggies until you're full makes a difference.

However the point everybody here is trying to make is that 20/40/50 of McD's and 20/40/50 of chicken and veggies is the same thing.

snorkelman
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
2 minutes huh? Well, there are quick oats that cook in 60 seconds. Not sure why an extra 2 minutes are any problem as you can be getting dressed while the microwave cooks, but my regular oats take 3:30 nukes and I add 1 packet of splenda and a handful of dried cranberries. That is pretty easy and yummy.

Even simpler is a bagel. Just open the pack, pop in the toaster oven and about 90 seconds later it is done. Sometimes I even eat plain, or just that stray butter. simple.

Otherwise leftovers are the way to go. I love the oatmeal pankakes and they can be made the night before and nuked in the morning when you are in a rush.

http://i40.tinypic.com/x5ozts.jpg

Plain pancakes (before syrup):
http://i52.tinypic.com/33vix6p.jpg

ironwill2008
04-20-2015, 12:38 PM
How is satiety another matter? Isn't it directly a result of the calories/macros?

I mean, lets say I have a breakfast with a breakdown of 400 calories/50g protein/10g fiber/10g sugars. How am I suppose to achieve that by eating pizza? There's no combo of pizza in the world that is going to provide that.

Stop using extremes as examples. Nobody will tell you to eat only pizza for your day's macros/micros.

You could eat a moderate amount of pizza, and then some other food that helps to meet all your day's macro/micro requirements. A 16 oz glass of milk has 16 grams of protein along with a boatload of other macros/micros.

If you feel you can build a better body by eating nothing but fish heads and brown rice a dozen times a day, be my guest (I can use extreme dietary examples too).

hendrix2323
04-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Ok, can we just get past this unnecessary argument and back to my question please? I get that 20/40/50 of one food = 20/40/50 of another food. I thought it was common sense. I also thought it was implied that when I brought up McDonalds for example I'm talking about greasy burgers and fries that aren't going to give you the same nutritional profile as chicken and vegetables (for example), and also thought it was implied that I have no desire to be hungry at req'd calorie intakes by eating garbage. I actually explicitly said it.

Also, to the point about "extreme examples" IW2008. That's moving the goalposts. Other people said there was no difference between the 2. I said there was. Now, the example is too extreme? My entire point of contention was that they aren't the same. If the example's too extreme, then that backs up my point that they are different.

Really have no desire to get into a semantic debate, so that's my last words on the topic.

yochrisss
04-20-2015, 02:17 PM
rocky balboa it and drink some raw eggs

loganhart
04-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Ok, can we just get past this unnecessary argument and back to my question please? I get that 20/40/50 of one food = 20/40/50 of another food. I thought it was common sense. I also thought it was implied that when I brought up McDonalds for example I'm talking about greasy burgers and fries that aren't going to give you the same nutritional profile as chicken and vegetables (for example), and also thought it was implied that I have no desire to be hungry at req'd calorie intakes by eating garbage. I even explicitly said it.

Also, to the point about "extreme examples" IW2008. That's moving the goalposts. Other people said there was no difference between the 2. I said there was. Now, the example is too extreme? My entire point of contention was that they aren't the same. If the example's too extreme, then that backs up my point that they are different.

Really have no desire to get into a semantic debate, so that's my last words on the topic.

You are beyond confused on the absolute basics of nutrition.

No one food can be deemed healthy/unhealthy. Only one's diet considered in its entirety over time can be deemed as such.

You continue to demonize food that society considers 'unhealthy' without any idea of the context and dosage it has in someone's overall diet.

You can literally eat anything you want to gain/lose weight granted caloric values are met daily and chronically. However a more practical, common sense approach would be to ensure macronutrient and micronutrient minimums are met along with this unrestrictive, discretionary practise.

I am only reiterating what has already been stated many time in response to your post.

Please read the sticky threads in the nutrition forum to glean a very basic knowledge of nutrition, then feel free to return and ask question.

I also suggest you read the following link to gain a better understanding of what people are trying to tell you here.

Inb4 Digistp...

http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

digistp
04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
carry on

ironwill2008
04-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Ok, can we just get past this unnecessary argument and back to my question please? I get that 20/40/50 of one food = 20/40/50 of another food. I thought it was common sense. I also thought it was implied that when I brought up McDonalds for example I'm talking about greasy burgers and fries that aren't going to give you the same nutritional profile as chicken and vegetables (for example), and also thought it was implied that I have no desire to be hungry at req'd calorie intakes by eating garbage. I actually explicitly said it.

I don't know what else to tell you other than to eat whatever you think you should be eating.

Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2015.

ETA:

Maybe try this stuff, OP:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167226741