PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol - working out hungover a waste of time?

Blitz1920
04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
I've read a few threads and blogs in my time on bodybuilding, about how negative alcohol is for protein synthesis and the body in general. Now I'm sure I've read this somewhere before, but I'm gonna ask again: Is it worthwhile working out the day after several beers have been consumed? I'm not hungover right now but I had 6 or 7 beers yesterday and I'm wondering whether I should workout today or leave it till tomorrow?

loganhart
04-19-2015, 02:00 PM
It's fine.

If you aren't sick/hungover then why not?

However, anytime alcohol begins to have a negative impact on your life then it's time to reevaluate things. Trust me I know first hand.

Edit: Some reading for you.
http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html?m=1

USMCTrijicon
04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Cutting out all alcohol is the greatest thing one can do for gains, if they drink.

Blitz1920
04-21-2015, 04:33 AM
It's fine.

If you aren't sick/hungover then why not?

However, anytime alcohol begins to have a negative impact on your life then it's time to reevaluate things. Trust me I know first hand.

Edit: Some reading for you.
http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html?m=1

Thanks for the link brah. I only drink at weekends anyway, usually just 2 or 3 beers. Though, if i'm up the city it can be double or triple that....

I take weight-lifting seriously, but, I just want to gain some mass, I'm not looking to be a pro-bodybuilder or anything.

latex55
04-21-2015, 04:55 AM
It's funny but I always have my best workouts when I'm hungover or a day after going out

I only drink on Saturdays and I think it has to do with it's always with my "big" meal of the week Saturday night so my body has lots of extra calories the next morning.

kanis999
04-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I highly recommend taking the extra day off to recover. For an optimal workout and post workout recovery, you need to be fully hydrated, have optimal PH, and mineral balance. These things are thrown way out of whack after you drink, even if you aren't totally "hungover". Just because you aren't throwing up doesn't mean your body isn't suffering. Give your body the time it needs to reach these optimal levels. Unless you feel totally gung ho, in which case you probably aren't dehydrated. But I find that even small amounts (way smaller than needed to be throwing up) of alcohol drastically reduce energy and zeal for training the next day.