PDA

View Full Version : Protein/Carb and Fat intake

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
I've been reading a lot over the last few weeks and would like some advise on if this is correct or not as im not seeing results.

Goal: Reduce fat (all over but mainly around stomach), increase muscle.

Facts: Height: 166cm, Weight:189 pounds, BMR: (using this link bodybuilding.com/fun/calorie-know-how-get-equation-right-to-get-results.htm) 1843

So i weight train every miss a day (Mon, Wed and Fri). Jogging on Tues, Thurs.
Weight train usually lasts around 30 mins which includes:

Chest 3x10,
shrugs 3x10
Butterfly (but laying down on a bench) 3x10
Situps 3x10
Lower back 3x10

So now im trying to become lean where i lose fat but keep muscle. Im struggling to find a way to find my correct daily protein, carb and fat requirements in order to achieve my goal - well i found some figures but i think they may not be accurate so i dont mind learning how to properly calculate these? I couldnt find a calculator either to do this for me so any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Here

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Also, get a better program that one sucks.

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Also, get a better program that one sucks.

Will look into that link.... Ok what program would you recommend and why?

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Will look into that link.... Ok what program would you recommend and why?
I would recommend going to the exercise section and looking for a proven one that suits you, something like Starting Strength/All Pros/5X5

GING3R
04-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Are you trying to lose fat or build muscle?

Then and only then can you achieve your goal...too many people trying to juggle chainsaws when they can't juggle.

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Are you trying to lose fat or build muscle?

Then and only then can you achieve your goal...too many people trying to juggle chainsaws when they can't juggle.

Your correct. Since i've been training for a while i would like to lose fat.

I read the link posted earlier to calculate my daily protein, carb and fat and im more confused :-(

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 01:01 PM

I read the link posted earlier to calculate my daily protein, carb and fat and im more confused :-(

Go on...

GING3R
04-13-2015, 01:05 PM

We're making progress...show us the link.

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Go on...

We're making progress...show us the link.

The link is found on post 2 - sorry i cant post links as i dont have enough posts. Before that i read up on acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-carbs-per-day/ following that advice (as in what my current calorie in take is based on my weight and what weight i want to reach) i came up with:

Calories 1450
Protein 0.9 Per pound of body weight 150 gms (600 cal a day)
Fat 1gm of fat = 9 calories 32 gms (290 cals a day)
Carbs 140 gms (560 cals)

These figures i dont know if theyre correct as after further reading losing weight means you lose muscle. Ideally i would like to lose fat but keep muscle or at least keep as much muscle and lose as much fat. Hope this makes sense.

GING3R
04-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Use the Katch-McArdle forumula to calculate your TDEE using the link in post 2 (calories you need every day to maintain weight) and report back with what your calories are.

Disregard the acaloriecounter.com website.

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Is 1450 your bmr? Did you forget to multiply it by your activity factor?

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
My BMR is 1843 (using the calculator found in post 1).

Katch-McCardle -
I dont consider myself lean :-( but in order to calculate this i need to know my body fat % and reading a link to find it means i need some tool to carry out the calculation - i dont have this tool but open to any suggestions that i could try to figure this out now?

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 01:48 PM
My BMR is 1843 (using the calculator found in post 1).

Katch-McCardle -
I dont consider myself lean :-( but in order to calculate this i need to know my body fat % and reading a link to find it means i need some tool to carry out the calculation - i dont have this tool but open to any suggestions that i could try to figure this out now?

Then how are you getting 1400 odd calories? Dont eat under bmr.

JamiePattison
04-13-2015, 01:55 PM
In order for me to get lean I thought you weight train and then lose fat. If my bmr is 1843 with my current weight being 189 pounds then I thought to get ripped and have a smaller waist I would need to eat less?

Either way I'm not any forward in finding the correct figures so pretty confused 😖

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 01:57 PM
BMR and maintenance are not the same thing, you calculate your bmr then multiply it by your activity factor to get a rough estimate of your maintenance, you then eat less calories than that, its all clearly highlighted in the link I gave you.

boo99
04-13-2015, 02:11 PM
it's not rocket science, pick a reasonable number and see what direction you're going in a few weeks, adjust accordingly

JamiePattison
04-14-2015, 05:41 AM
it's not rocket science, pick a reasonable number and see what direction you're going in a few weeks, adjust accordingly

I know its not rocket science but clearly you can see i've been reading around and the more you read about a situation your're not familiar with the more prone you are to getting confused. Im learnining new things heres so i dont know what a reasonable number is otherwise i wouldnt post. I will read up on this again to see if i can make some sense and post the figures.

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 05:46 AM
I know its not rocket science but clearly you can see i've been reading around and the more you read about a situation your're not familiar with the more prone you are to getting confused. Im learnining new things heres so i dont know what a reasonable number is otherwise i wouldnt post. I will read up on this again to see if i can make some sense and post the figures.

What's your current weight and approximate body fat %?

What is your occupation?

JamiePattison
04-14-2015, 06:56 AM
What's your current weight and approximate body fat %?

What is your occupation?

Current weight is 13.5 stones or 189 llbs.

According to this link nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/ (add www to the link) i am GUESSING from looking at the images im between 22% - 30% :-(

I dont have the gadget (as in those tweezers) to work out my body fat % but happy to try any other recommended approach to find my approx body fat % if you like?

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 07:12 AM
Current weight is 13.5 stones or 189 llbs.

According to this link nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/ (add www to the link) i am GUESSING from looking at the images im between 22% - 30% :-(

I dont have the gadget (as in those tweezers) to work out my body fat % but happy to try any other recommended approach to find my approx body fat % if you like?

What is your occupation?

JamiePattison
04-14-2015, 07:18 AM
What is your occupation?

Oh yea :-) i sit at my desk most of the day

GING3R
04-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Ok using the link that we have provided (in post #2) and referenced multiple times use your height/weight/estimated bf% (HENCE DON'T FREAK OUT IF ITS NOT EXACT) and get your bmr. From there multiply by your activity factor and that is your TDEE.

From there you can calculate your calories, protein, fat, and carbs you want to try and hit.

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Oh yea :-) i sit at my desk most of the day

Based on some averaging, Katch-McArdle has your maintenance at about 2400 cals/day. To lose fat, you'd subtract no more than 20% , giving you a daily calorie requirement of 1900 calories per day.

Fill those calories thusly:

150 gms/ protein.......600 cals

80 gms/fat................720 cals

remainder.................580 cals........can be carbs, more protein, more fat, or any combination of the three you like. Don't neglect fruit and veg.

Keep in mind that ^^^^this is a starting point for you. You'll need to weigh/measure/track all your portions, and then after 3-4 weeks of compliance, see where you're at as opposed as where you want to be, and then make adjustments. It's a process, and takes time and consistency for you to get a good handle on what/how much to eat in order to see positive change in your body composition.

Oh, and also:

Drop this:

Chest 3x10,
shrugs 3x10
Situps 3x10
Lower back 3x10

And instead, start this:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

It's a journey, not a destination.

JamiePattison
04-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Based on some averaging, Katch-McArdle has your maintenance at about 2400 cals/day. To lose fat, you'd subtract no more than 20% , giving you a daily calorie requirement of 1900 calories per day.

Fill those calories thusly:

150 gms/ protein.......600 cals

80 gms/fat................720 cals

remainder.................580 cals........can be carbs, more protein, more fat, or any combination of the three you like. Don't neglect fruit and veg.

Keep in mind that ^^^^this is a starting point for you. You'll need to weigh/measure/track all your portions, and then after 3-4 weeks of compliance, see where you're at as opposed as where you want to be, and then make adjustments. It's a process, and takes time and consistency for you to get a good handle on what/how much to eat in order to see positive change in your body composition.

Oh, and also:

Drop this:

Chest 3x10,
shrugs 3x10
Situps 3x10
Lower back 3x10

And instead, start this:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

It's a journey, not a destination.

Thank you ironwill2008 - i really appreciate that. This allowed me to understand calculating my requirements in comparison to the other links i have read - just in case i was on the wrong track i know i can use this as a bench mark. Again thank you appreciate your time as i know you didnt have to :-)

Just one other point/question - i noticed the fat intake at 80gms and a total of 1900 calories (in comparison to the first calculation i did) - Now just to make sure this is for losing fat and training 3 x week? As for the training im looking into that now.

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Just one other point/question - i noticed the fat intake at 80gms and a total of 1900 calories (in comparison to the first calculation i did) - Now just to make sure this is for losing fat and training 3 x week? As for the training im looking into that now.

Your approximate maintenance calorie level (IOW, the amount you'd eat just to stay at your current weight) is about 2400 calories per day. Subtracting 20% (about as steep a deficit as you'd want to roll with) brings you down to the 1900 calories per day with which to start out and stick with for at least 3-4 weeks.

Dietary fat is an essential macronutrient; you can't live without adequate fat intake. For you, 80 grams should be a good amount; it will keep your hormone output up to par, keep your joints working well, keep your skin healthy, allow your digestive system to absorb vitamins, and will serve to perform dozens of other vital functions in your body. Always keep in mind that eating fat doesn't make you fat; that's caused by eating excess calories, regardless of their source.

Getting you on a balanced training program is vital to your making significant positive body compositional change. Sure, you can "lose weight" just by eating at a deficit, but unless you're also subjecting your entire body (including your legs) to consistent progressive weight training, a large part of that lost "weight" will be muscle.

Ain't nobody got time for that............