PDA

View Full Version : Study finds cancer link for muscle-building supplements.

WrestlingFan123
04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
https://news.brown.edu/articles/2015/04/muscles

Has anybody had a chance to review this study?

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
No mention of the type of supplemetns

and

"researchers asked the men not only about their supplement use but also about a wide variety of other possible factors such as smoking, drinking, exercise habits, family history of testicular cancer, and prior injury to their testes or groin."

Just had a quick glance though.

digistp
04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
So use of controlled substances outside of medical necessity is not conducive to long term health. Who knew.

BeauFlexington
04-13-2015, 12:55 PM
That's a pretty generous application of the term "study".

"Hey Broski, you gots the ball cancerz?"

Yup.

"Wow Bro'. Soooo ... ever take the Creatine?"

Yup.

http://www.slothclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/a-girl-interviewing-a-bodybuilde.jpg

rilesthegiles
04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
I forgot which one but Aspartame or Sucralose was found to be carcinogenic in lab animals so go figure

Gxp23
04-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I forgot which one but Aspartame or Sucralose was found to be carcinogenic in lab animals so go figure

I dont think they were given the same doses/bodymass as we would find in our soda.

OT2000
04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
In regards to supps, If you click on the link within the study you will see they showed Andro as one. Obviously excessive abuse of substances we cannot talk about can cause all types of issues.

SuffolkPunch
04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Like cancer scare stories?

http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-stories/the-daily-mails-list-of-things-that-give-you-cancer-from-a-to-z.html/

snorkelman
04-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Future large epidemiologic studies and lab experiments would be necessary to establish a causal link between supplements and testicular cancer.

^^ nice try. Epidemiologic research is the type of research where you can draw correlations, but cannot demonstrate cause-and-effect relationships. If you want to make a bold statement that X causes Y, then you will need to rely on randomized controlled trials (RCT) in order to do that.

magician27
04-13-2015, 02:06 PM
"Muscle building supplements" ... that term is too generic , you can tell many supplements that doesnt hurt you , and that can potentially kill you. it would help if they told what it was.

desslok
04-13-2015, 06:45 PM

I'm sure VitaminVendetta has.

UltraMaximum
04-14-2015, 05:04 AM
That study is embarrassing, not sure how it got passed review. It barely took any individual circumstances into account and just grouped massive amounts of products into the term "MBS".

It's conclusions included saying that protein+creatine mixed supplements doubled the risk of testicular cancer. They never thought to look into WHAT protein (and what else was in that protein) as well as WHAT creatine.

Whey protein is found in massive amounts of food and is consumed by almost everyone, creatine monohydrate is a natural acid found in meat. Saying "protein and creatine supplements double risk of testicular cancer" is like saying "food doubles risk of testicular cancer". Retarded.

Mrpb
04-14-2015, 05:12 AM
I didn't read the study myself so I'm not sure if this is right but someone said creatine and anabolic steroids were place in the same category.

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 06:05 AM

That study is equally as valuable as the one that shows that an increase in air temperature causes an increase in Somalian Pirate activity.

motorsportsmike
04-14-2015, 06:20 AM
That study is equally as valuable as the one that shows that an increase in air temperature causes an increase in Somalian Pirate activity.

Note to self - stay away from Somalia in the summer.

ironwill2008
04-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Note to self - stay away from Somalia in the summer.

Either ^^^^ this, or have the UN send a ****load of air conditioners over there, thus solving the piracy issue.

Hernandez510
04-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Yes supplements can cause cancer as well as all types of complications if they are over used. Or used in combination with too many other supplements. I know someone at my gym that had kidney failure and almost died because of all the supplements he was taking, and yes all legal American supplements.

dumaka1
04-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Yes supplements can cause cancer as well as all types of complications if they are over used. Or used in combination with too many other supplements. I know someone at my gym that had kidney failure and almost died because of all the supplements he was taking, and yes all legal American supplements.

I have a cousin whose friends girlfriend uncles husband died of supplement overdose just yesterday. All the supplements this person took were legal GNC products. Thefcvkouttahere