PDA

View Full Version : The "Get Matt Ripped" fat loss diet - decent?

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 06:11 AM
OK, so here we go. First real time looking into this stuff.

STATS -
27 year old
Male
205lbs
Unsure on body fat %

BMR - 2093
TDEE for 5 days exercise - 2957
Current deficit - roughly 18%

BREAKFAST -
100g Oats made with 400ml milk + 1 pint of milk
2 Fish Oil Caplets with breakfast

PRE - WORKOUT -
2 Scoops Gold Standard Pre Workout

POST WORKOUT -
2 Scoops Whey Protein Isolate

LUNCH -
1 can of tuna + 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 pint milk

DINNER -
200g chicken breast + 1 pint milk + 100g sweetcorn
2 Fish Oil Caplets with dinner

2 Fish Oil Caplets before bed

Total Kcal =2449
Total Protein =206
Total Carb =175
Total Fat = 78

This look reasonable for a goal of dropping body fat and building muscle with weightlifting? I have no problems sticking to a diet plan, I just want to make sure i'm doing it right. Any advice is more than welcome :)

KingTasty
03-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Holy **** that's terrible. Even if it works for him, it will most likely not work for you. We are individuals with different bodies and activity levels. Ditch the whole idea of a diet and read this instead:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

We'll take further questions.

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Ok, whats wrong with it? This is for me by the way. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the nutrition side of this. I thought my calculations were ok for this but now i'm second guessing everything.

What advice do you have for tweaking it to suit my needs?

KingTasty
03-27-2015, 06:38 AM
You obviously didn't read the links that i gave you. Read them, it's information that went lost when the library of Alexandria was burnt down.

As for the diet, it is bland, lacks micronutrients, 4 scoops of industrial gains and mercury every day.

Total Protein =206x4
Total Carb =175x4
Total Fat = 78x9
=2226 calories, not 2449

And read the links...

digistp
03-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Drop the tuna.

Aside from that, your diet is deficient in C, K, Folate, and fiber

jdrush
03-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Drop the tuna.

What he means is drop the tuna and eat some vegetables and a whole egg.

nickbrigham
03-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Drop the tuna.

Thought the same thing about the fiber.

n0useforaname
03-27-2015, 08:23 AM
6 fish oil caplets a day on top of tuna? Ummm..... I would recommend reading those links given to you and creating your OWN diet.. that one is pretty crap-tastic.

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 06:03 PM
OK, after reading through the links, doing recalculations, and trying to fit in healthier foods that cover macro bases as well as nutritional bases, i've realized just how bad the first diet was. Using fitday has helped a ton to see what is in what foods, so here goes "diet noob round 2"

Bodyweight - 220lbs (100kg)
Body Fat % - 27.5
Lean Body Mass = 159.5lbs (72.5kg)

BMR - 1936
Maintenance Calories (3 -5 workout per week)- 2904
Cutting Calories - 2323 (20% deficit)

Protein - 1.5g/lean lb (239g)(956kcal)(41%)
Fat - 0.45g/lean lb (72g)(648kcal)(28%)
Carbs - 179g (716kcal)(31%)

Breakfast -
60g oats, 1 pint milk, 1 cup whole eggs

Lunch -
100g chicken breast, 50g brown rice, 1 pint milk

*workout*

Post workout -
1 scoop optimum gold standard whey

Before work -
1 orange

Work break -
1 orange

Dinner
200g chicken breast, 50g peas, 50g sweetcorn, 1 pint milk

With fish oil caplets breakfast, lunch and dinner.

TOTAL -
2392kcal
237g protein
78g fats
185g carbs

I'm hoping this diet is better than the crapfest that was in my first post. I've read both links and calculated, re-calculated and calculated again the numbers I need. Couldn't get the macros 100% spot on, but i'm assuming a little out here and there won't have a huge effect?

TBU720
03-27-2015, 06:19 PM
So much ****ing milk. Unless you really love milk I'd eat some more chicken/beef and some fibrous carbs

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 06:31 PM
I adore milk. Can't get enough of it. I really didn't think 3 pints a day was considered excessive by bodybuilding standards? I should point out its semi skimmed.

KingTasty
03-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Milk is delish. I still think that you shouldn't eat the exact same stuff every day, and i have a feeling that you choose to eat those foods because you associate them with being ''clean'', no?

My point is, a strict diet like that is not necessary. You can almost eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros and micros. That's the idea behind flexible dieting. Many people keep their sanity that way.

TBU720
03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
I adore milk. Can't get enough of it. I really didn't think 3 pints a day was considered excessive by bodybuilding standards? I should point out its semi skimmed.

I mean people generally drink lots of milk when they're trying to put on size. If you're trying to cut, milk is pretty high in simple carbs likely to leave you hungry and lacking in other areas of nutrition. Not as bad as something like a soda but still along the same lines

determined4000
03-27-2015, 07:14 PM
so almost no food
no veggies
no fiber
hardly any micros
and lots of protein powder

I think I got it

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 07:23 PM
so almost no food
no veggies
no fiber
hardly any micros
and lots of protein powder

I think I got it

Did you read the second plan, or just the original post?

themistermatt
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Milk is delish. I still think that you shouldn't eat the exact same stuff every day, and i have a feeling that you choose to eat those foods because you associate them with being ''clean'', no?

My point is, a strict diet like that is not necessary. You can almost eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros and micros. That's the idea behind flexible dieting. Many people keep their sanity that way.

Thats pretty true. I guess with me being so new to working out and nutrition, I kind of went "muscle = chicken/milk/protein etc", rather than educating myself first.

I mean, i'm gonna be swapping things out here and there to try and keep some variety in, but i'm kinda hoping to just get a baseline to work from. The links you provided have been really useful, and i'm starting to see that its not necessarily the food but the macros and nutrients that are important - after all your body doesn't see "chicken", it sees "X amounts of nutrients", right?

I appreciate all your help on this by the way, its really helping out. Barring the one snarky comment a couple up which furthers the discussion in no way, everyones comments have been very helpful so far.

KingTasty
03-27-2015, 07:40 PM
I do have staples that i eat almost everyday, but i eat them because i like to eat them, because it's convenient and because they help me reach my goal. That being said, 60-80% of what i eat throughout the day is something different from the day before. I had a whole pint of vanilla ice cream a couple of hours ago..

determined4000
03-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Did you read the second plan, or just the original post?i would say the same thing minus powders comment

themistermatt
03-28-2015, 03:19 AM
I don't get where you're coming from. The second plan hits the macros, hits the calories, has plenty of vitamins etc.

I didn't realize that peas and sweetcorn count as "no veggies", or that 2300 kcal a day counted as "almost no food".

JerryB
03-28-2015, 07:38 AM
That's a horrible diet.

jolanar1
03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
This look reasonable for a goal of dropping body fat and building muscle with weightlifting?

How exactly do you think you will build muscle with weightlifting at the same time as you are trying to cut?

Read all the stickies. Don't ask for critiques and then get defensive when everyone agrees your diet is terrible.

OT2000
03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
You need more nutrient dense foods. Red meats, nuts, VEGGIES ( corn is a grain depending on when it's harvested ) like spinach, kale, broccoli, sprouts- get some green leafy and cruciferous veggies, they are micro dense. If that means you cut out all of that milk and/or swap chicken breast for some fatty fish or red meat, then do it. All I see is grains, milk and lean meats ( minus the eggs and oranges ). No balance at all.

themistermatt
03-28-2015, 03:09 PM
How exactly do you think you will build muscle with weightlifting at the same time as you are trying to cut?

Read all the stickies. Don't ask for critiques and then get defensive when everyone agrees your diet is terrible.

Its hardly defensive, I just don't see how sarcasm or simple comments like "Thats a horrible diet" help at all. I'm here asking for advice, not to be torn to shreds.

I'm starting to consider biting the bullet and dropping the milk completely to fit in more whole foods. It just seems suprising that I change everything, add in vegetables and fruits, lean meats, trying to balance it -and i'm STILL getting told its terrible.

Guys, please understand i'm in NO WAY asking you to devise a diet for me - but i'm here hoping for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and ADVICE on something that seems like a minefield to me. Not sarcasm, single sentence answers and posts designed to make me feel bad about not knowing what you guys know.

If I wanted that, i'd go to reddit.

KingTasty
03-28-2015, 03:48 PM
They don't mean to drag you down.

You don't have to completely ditch the milk, have a glass every now and then, or even every day but don't go from one ''extreme'' to the other. Have balance, eat different things everyday, eat foods that you enjoy, hit your macros and micros, and don't be anal about counting every single calorie.

We do this whole bodybuilding/fitness thing to have fun, feel good, increase our quality of life. I have friends who still believes in this whole eat clean, 5 meals a day (every 3 hour), don't eat before bed, post-workout shake or die, 2lbs of supplements everyday, no carbs, no fat, no protein and whatnot. Their life sucks, they limit themselves, they miss out on life, and they are not happy.

themistermatt
03-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I guess I just overreacted - no one likes being told they're doing it wrong, right?

I'm starting to tweak and alter things based on the advice yourself and others have given me - throwing lettuce and broccoli in there, carrots, cottage cheese etc.

You gotta understand that i'm coming from a place of horrible depression where meals were whatever the hell I could get my hands on (usually fast foods) and exercise was anathema. Now my mind is sorted, its time for the body to follow.

The macros i've got ok, and the micros are going up with every new food I add, so I think i'm starting to get on the right track here.

Naix
03-28-2015, 04:10 PM
i dont think you'd be able to mentally stick to that diet for long.

the only food you're actually eating is oatmeal for breastfast and chicken breast for dinner.