PDA

View Full Version : If you've satisfied the recommended protein and fat intake...

jiheonsohng
03-25-2015, 05:19 PM
For both bulking and cutting, if you've satisfied the recommended protein and fat intake, does it matter where the rest of the calories are coming from?

By recommended protein and fat intake I mean:

0.75~1g of protein per lb of bodyweight

0.4~0.5g of fat per lb of bodyweight

So for instance, I weigh 143.4lb with 20.2% bf.
I'm currently cutting so I need to keep my daily caloric intake within 1250kcal.

My macro is:

Protein: 141g (45%)
Fat: 56g (40%)
Carb:46g (15%)

Does it matter whether i replace the 15% carb with protein or fat?
Not that I want to do so (I personally want to eat a bit more carb), but I'm just curious whether it would have any effect on my progress.
And the same question applies for bulking.

Thanks all in advance :)

Gxp23
03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Stop using percentages, yes I know you have worked them out using the formula etc, but the whole idea of it being there is to stop these silly ratios and yes, you can eat the rest of your cals with what ever macro mix you wish.

Also why are your calories so low?

Jcart159
03-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Are you a female? Are you extremely small?

Either way 1250 cals seems EXTREMELY low even if you are 5 year old girl.

Also, you would probably be better of bulking in terms of improving your body composition.

Jasonk282
03-25-2015, 07:19 PM
OP better be a female on those low calories

77Davis
03-25-2015, 07:31 PM
OP's question has been answered, but I will reiterate that you can get your calories from which ever you choose or any combination thereof. However, I still recommend getting as much carbs as your calories will allow, so try not to exceed protein and fat goals by THAT much.

rhadam
03-25-2015, 07:52 PM
I try not to fill "extra" calories with complete junk food, but in moderation... ya eat what you like and try to hit minimums. If i were in competition mode, i'd tighten up a bit and rather have my remaining calories be protein and whole food centric.

jiheonsohng
03-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Stop using percentages, yes I know you have worked them out using the formula etc, but the whole idea of it being there is to stop these silly ratios and yes, you can eat the rest of your cals with what ever macro mix you wish.

Also why are your calories so low?

Are you a female? Are you extremely small?

Either way 1250 cals seems EXTREMELY low even if you are 5 year old girl.

Also, you would probably be better of bulking in terms of improving your body composition.

OP better be a female on those low calories

Yeah my calories are low and I wish I can eat more carbs but my TDEE is 2000kcal (based on IIFYM calculator)

and so i need to eat under 1250kcal to be on 750 caloric deficit on a daily basis.

I want to get down to 10% bf and bulk for long-term. I want to stay under 20% bf even when I'm bulking. If I bulk right now, I'd look quite chubby after few months, and that just wouldn't fit into my overarching goal.

PS. I'm 5.6ft, so I guess you could say I'm "extremely small" :) (but I'm a male!)

BeauFlexington
03-26-2015, 12:37 AM
That's a 38% deficit. Max you should run is 15-20%. Not only will you feel miserable, but you increase risk of muscle loss the further extreme you get.

For your proportions, building some muscle on a slight surplus would be the best long-term solution. If you don't like that solution, a slight deficit -- 10% -- could afford you some results for awhile, at this early stage.

ShyGuyXS
03-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Yeah my calories are low and I wish I can eat more carbs but my TDEE is 2000kcal (based on IIFYM calculator) and so i need to eat under 1250kcal to be on 750 caloric deficit on a daily basis.

You don't need that much of a calorie deficit to cut - probably not a good idea as Beau said; having too much of a deficit can lead to not only weight loss but muscle loss if you don't put in enough energy to maintain it. Even at 5'6" (which isn't actually far from average), your body probably needs a bit more than you're eating now. Aim for a 10%-15% deficit to start; the weight may come off slower, but you'll minimize muscle/strength loss and probably feel a lot better in the long-run.

Jasonk282
03-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Yeah my calories are low and I wish I can eat more carbs but my TDEE is 2000kcal (based on IIFYM calculator)

and so i need to eat under 1250kcal to be on 750 caloric deficit on a daily basis.

I want to get down to 10% bf and bulk for long-term. I want to stay under 20% bf even when I'm bulking. If I bulk right now, I'd look quite chubby after few months, and that just wouldn't fit into my overarching goal.

PS. I'm 5.6ft, so I guess you could say I'm "extremely small" :) (but I'm a male!)

That's way to big of a deficit to be at, not to mention after a while it's going to wreck your hormones. 500 cals is the max deficit you should be running.

EjnarKolinkar
03-26-2015, 06:37 AM
That's a 38% deficit. Max you should run is 15-20%. Not only will you feel miserable, but you increase risk of muscle loss the further extreme you get.

For your proportions, building some muscle on a slight surplus would be the best long-term solution. If you don't like that solution, a slight deficit -- 10% -- could afford you some results for awhile, at this early stage.

QFT

Quick fixes usually turn out to be a really bad idea and just set you back further.

It takes time and consistency. No way around it.

Jcart159
03-26-2015, 07:37 AM

This is where you are WRONG. Cutting now DOES NOT fit into your overarching goal. Trust me, I have been in your shoes before.

If your goal is to improve your physique in the long term, then bulk now. Trust me. You weigh 140 pounds and are 20 years old ffs!

Jasonk282
03-26-2015, 07:50 AM
This is where you are WRONG. Cutting now DOES NOT fit into your overarching goal. Trust me, I have been in your shoes before.

If your goal is to improve your physique in the long term, then bulk now. Trust me. You weigh 140 pounds and are 20 years old ffs!

Even if he bulked for 3 months gaining 1 lb a week he'd be 12 lbs heavier...so 155 lbs...not exactly chubby at all.

Jcart159
03-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Even if he bulked for 3 months gaining 1 lb a week he'd be 12 lbs heavier...so 155 lbs...not exactly chubby at all.

Seriously. He could bulk for like 2-3 years and achieve the body he wants shortly after that... or he could cut now and spin his wheels for the next few years and be in the same exact starting place he is now... your choice OP.

ChaoticReignPbt
03-26-2015, 08:22 AM
My 4'11" 100lb fiancee can cut on your calorie intake OP. Think about that.

As others have said, you're WAY off base here. Listen to the advise you're being given.

CanadianEmpire
03-26-2015, 09:03 AM
My responses are in bold:

Using the same calculator I got a TDEE of 2200 for you, putting your activity at 3x/week.

Still using iifym calculator, a suggested weight loss of 15% has you eating at 1800, and even if for what ever reason you chose to begin the cut doing the reckless option at 25%, you'd be eating at 1600.

Why do you need a 750cal deficit every day. What exactly do you plan on doing once you plateau? Because you can't drop calories anymore, heck you shouldn't be a 1250 either considering your bmr is 1603. Slow and steady wins the race OP...

I get the desire to be really lean and cut, but 143lbs is really light. If you bulk using common sense, and by following a really good, proven strength training program, you can avoid putting on a lot of fat, thus you won't look too chubby.

Definitely consider bulking now and then cutting. You'll end up looking a lot better at 10% bf by doing it that way...