PDA

View Full Version : Help! Skinny fat

mrbryan
03-25-2015, 03:22 AM
I am 36 6ft 2 200 lbs 35 inch waist and skinny fat as hell . My body fat is 16. Over the last 15 yrs i have been an off again on again trainer. I was a chubby stocky kid in high school and lost all the weight by not eating at all basically I went from stocky to looking tall and thin you could see my spine. Since that time I have been on several different nutrition and workout programs . I did the gallon of milk a day thing, dirty bulk , hardcore paleo cut , ive done it all. Usually the end result is either muscle in arms and upper body but gut is still there its loose and just hangs very embarassing. If i try to cut I loose all my size and become a stick but still have a hanging skinny fat stomach and zero muscle. It feels like there is no muscle in my stomach to hold the shape . I am considering surgery . Currently im taking the carb cycling approach and seems like my body is getting worse .

High day : 3300 cals , 400 carbs , 200 protein , 100 fat
Med: 3000 ( maintainence level ) 300 carbs , 200 protein 100 fat
Low : 2700 200 carbs, 200 protein , 100 fat
On low days i feel flat and small
I am taking a weightgainer because with my job i cant get the amount of cals needed .
It seems like the scale and body fat have both gone up within a one weeks time . Isnt this supposed to be the way to lose fat and gain muscle . Im depressed, and frustrated.
Is it a better approach to just bulk at 3300 every day then worry about the fat . I want the stomach to just go away and have big upper muscular upper body .

skunkmunroe
03-25-2015, 04:49 AM
3000 seems quite high for maintenance doesn't it?

If you are gaining weight, then maybe your calculations are wrong. Or could you be underestimating the calories you're consuming?

mrbryan
03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
3000 seems quite high for maintenance doesn't it?

If you are gaining weight, then maybe your calculations are wrong. Or could you be underestimating the calories you're consuming?

well that's what i am trying to figure out . I went to almost every online maintainence calorie calc and im getting anywhere from 2900-3000 to maintain. Im not looking to maintain but i know that is the baseline. As far as what im consuming been using myfitnesspal and logging everything. Theres something off but im not sure. My scale says 17% body fat . If 3000 is not my maintainence where do I look for it. If it truly is a process of numbers how do i get the correct amt needed to cycle

Ferdi92
03-25-2015, 07:39 AM
I'd say your maintenance should be at around 2700kcal and not at 300kcal..

Jcart159
03-25-2015, 07:42 AM
well that's what i am trying to figure out . I went to almost every online maintainence calorie calc and im getting anywhere from 2900-3000 to maintain. Im not looking to maintain but i know that is the baseline. As far as what im consuming been using myfitnesspal and logging everything. Theres something off but im not sure. My scale says 17% body fat . If 3000 is not my maintainence where do I look for it. If it truly is a process of numbers how do i get the correct amt needed to cycle

Worry less about what online calculators tell you, and worry more about what the scale and mirror tell you.

They should be your guides, not some random calculator you find on the interwebz.

n0useforaname
03-25-2015, 07:46 AM
You have two options right now...

1. Cut until the excess skin/fat go away and then slow bulk until you are happy.
2. Starting bulking now, build mass and fat, and then properly cut down the road.

Either approach is going to require you to start weighing ALL your intake.. and actually taking the 3-4 weeks to figure out your actual TDEE. Stop eating high/med/low days and stick to one consistent intake. After the 3-4 weeks it's basic 1st grade math and patience.

skunkmunroe
03-25-2015, 08:04 AM
There are various TDEE calculators on the net - and various calorie counting websites. They aren't going to be 100% accurate, but are a useful startpoint. Personally, I used 4-5 TDEE calculators and settled on an approximate figure.

I also weigh out my food. It's not time consuming, and is something that I want to do to ensure my calorie counting is as accurate as possible. It works for me. My TDEE is approx 2100.

But as stated, the best way to monitor how things are going is by looking in the mirror. If the weight isn't shifting, lower your calories or increase your cardio (or both - entirely up to you and your timescales for change).

snorkelman
03-25-2015, 08:13 AM
I am taking a weightgainer because with my job i cant get the amount of cals needed

Since it appears at first glance that you may be ingesting too many calories, start out by cutting out the weight gainer. It can easily be replaced by a whole food option or a simple whey shake and that may bring you down to where you need to be calorie-wise.

mrbryan
03-25-2015, 01:49 PM
You have two options right now...

1. Cut until the excess skin/fat go away and then slow bulk until you are happy.
2. Starting bulking now, build mass and fat, and then properly cut down the road.

Either approach is going to require you to start weighing ALL your intake.. and actually taking the 3-4 weeks to figure out your actual TDEE. Stop eating high/med/low days and stick to one consistent intake. After the 3-4 weeks it's basic 1st grade math and patience.

so its a constant trial and error to find what actually works for me ?

Gxp23
03-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Not constant, but it will take a few weeks + to get into the swing of things.

n0useforaname
03-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Basically you stick to one set caloric intake for 3-4 weeks.. Weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning, naked, after a pee.. After 4 weeks you average how many LBs you lost and go from there

mrbryan
03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Basically you stick to one set caloric intake for 3-4 weeks.. Weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning, naked, after a pee.. After 4 weeks you average how many LBs you lost and go from there
thanks guys I took it down to 2700 ,300 carbs 100 grams fat, 200 grams protein, ill keep that until end of april and troubleshoot

This is what a current menu looks like
breakfast
mass gain complex
whole milk
2 spoons of pb

lunch
deli roast beef
2 slices whole wheat bread

dinner
Tyson grilled chicken strips with light ranch
sweet potato
smart balance butter