PDA

View Full Version : Help with diet

SeaMySkil
03-24-2015, 02:15 PM
So I'm confused right now. I'm eating 2100 calories/day. My bmr is 2050. is that what I burn just by simply being alive, or is that what I burn by Being alive and doing daily activities/ going to the gym. I go to the gym 5 times a week. I want to lose 1-1.5 lbs/ week. Am I doing everything right? And do I need cardio? I read that you don't need cardio if your calories are low enough. I never feel hungry so this is fine for me. I'm 193 lbs 5'11 and 17 years old. Been training for a year and a half. Some might say you should bulk, and take advantage of teenage years, but I've become pretty fat.. So I would like to get rid of the fat, then when I'm down to 7-8%bf, start a controlled bulk.

jwarrenfit
03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
BMR is energy you expend with activity included... RMR i believe is BMR minus exercise but could be wrong..

Honestly bud at you age you can probably lose fat and gain just a little muscle at the same time.

I would eat till satiety with whole real foods and practice some carb cycling. I do intermittent fasting but dont recommend it for someone your age.

Macros and BMR and all that sometimes can actually hinder your porgress... if anything just record what you eat for reference not for the exact cals.

I would eat veggies, rice, sweet potatoes for carbs
protein- grass fed beef, wild salmon, eggs
fats should come from the protein sources and coconut/olive oil/ avocado

Cardio is not super important IMO but i do HIIT for 20 minutes once a week and ride my bike quite regularly. I think its more important to try to be in a fat burning mode outside of the gym, use the gym and post workout to fuel your muscles, not try to burn more fat. just my opinion

SeaMySkil
03-24-2015, 02:33 PM
So how do I burn fat if I'm eating 2100 cals a day, and only burning 2050 from bmr? If I reduce cals to 1700, in my opinion that's really low. That's little over a lb a week.. Cause 2050-1700=350. 350*7=2500 still less than a lb

ironwill2008
03-24-2015, 02:40 PM
So I'm confused right now. I'm eating 2100 calories/day. My bmr is 2050. is that what I burn just by simply being alive, or is that what I burn by Being alive and doing daily activities/ going to the gym. I go to the gym 5 times a week. I want to lose 1-1.5 lbs/ week. Am I doing everything right? And do I need cardio? I read that you don't need cardio if your calories are low enough. I never feel hungry so this is fine for me. I'm 193 lbs 5'11 and 17 years old. Been training for a year and a half. Some might say you should bulk, and take advantage of teenage years, but I've become pretty fat.. So I would like to get rid of the fat, then when I'm down to 7-8%bf, start a controlled bulk.

BMR is the amount of calories required to keep you alive in a state of rest (think, coma). To find your maintenance calorie level, you'd then decide on an activity level, then the corresponding additional calories, and then add those calories to your BMR.

And I'm one of the 'some' who will tell any kid still growing to forget about getting "down to 7-8%bf," and instead, simply eat what you mom cooks for you, and of enough quantity so that you see a small body weight increase each week as you weight train.

You'll have plenty of time to "cut" after you've done the smart thing and used your current hormonal advantages for the next few years to build as much muscle/strength as possible. This 'advantage' only comes around once; don't waste it trying to look like a starvation victim.

jwarrenfit
03-24-2015, 02:41 PM
I dont know how you came up with your BMR but really thats not necessary for someone like you. You dont have to track, you can get lean without it. Dont obsess, eat good foods get like .8g/lb of protein, eat alot of healthy fats, and consume carbs as needed, try to limit them and refeed 2 times a week.

jwarrenfit
03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
BMR is the amount of calories required to keep you alive in a state of rest (think, coma). To find your maintenance calorie level, you'd then decide on an activity level, then the corresponding additional calories, and then add those calories to your BMR.

And I'm one of the 'some' who will tell any kid still growing to forget about getting "down to 7-8%bf," and instead, simply eat what you mom cooks for you, and of enough quantity so that you see a small body weight increase each week as you weight train.

You'll have plenty of time to "cut" after you've done the smart thing and used your current hormonal advantages for the next few years to build as much muscle/strength as possible. This 'advantage' only comes around once; don't waste it trying to look like a starvation victim.

The problem is that the skinny ripped look is so important to young guys nowadays... If you dont use the hormonal advantages to add much mass, use them to add a little while slowly getting leaner. You wont be able to do that either very easily in 10 years

SeaMySkil
03-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Im eating 210 protein, 190 carb and 60 fat. Does that Sound pretty good?

jwarrenfit
03-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Im eating 210 protein, 190 carb and 60 fat. Does that Sound pretty good?

I would lower protein and carbs, and up the fat. something around the lines of

180-150-100

refeed every 3-5 days with

180-300-<40

again theres no need to be dogmatic about it just use it for reference, add more and your body will adjust, add less it will slow BMR.. always wants to be in homeostasis

SeaMySkil
03-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Alright. cool thanks, how long you think it'll be before I reach your physique?

jwarrenfit
03-24-2015, 03:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/brewu4/y202.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/brewu4/media/y202.jpg.html)

This is 16-27

It's just about being consistent and making it a life style. I love the way I eat I love working out

Don't obsess over small things get intuitive with your body