PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe drinks are 'empty calories'?

Kronosis
03-22-2015, 12:58 AM
So when you're bulking, I can only think that drinks would be great (ONLY if you're getting the nutrition you need), as they can help get in a ton of extra calories.

I'm talking about things like lemonade, orange juice, cranberry juice, apple juice, etc.

dustinh6719
03-22-2015, 01:32 AM
No, they're not empty calories. The only "drink" I consider empty calories, is alcohol.

Ondle
03-22-2015, 01:37 AM
Nope just water

dustinh6719
03-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Nope just water

So you're saying caloric drinks are "empty" calories? Sure, they don't make you "full" but they're definitely not "empty." Care to explain?

gbullock32
03-22-2015, 01:54 AM
IMO calories cannot be empty since a calorie is a unit of measuring energy; so no matter the micro-nutrient value (or lack of) a calorie is still a calorie in regards to that.

Semi-related: Pineapple juice is fantastic.

hectahs
03-22-2015, 01:59 AM
Why you would choose drinks over food I will never understand. Food is a million times better both tastewise and nutritionally. The only thing i drink aside from water is alcohol (only really to get drunk at parties or whatever, I dont have it with meals)

SuffolkPunch
03-22-2015, 02:31 AM
"empty calories" = any food or drink that has calories (from fat/carb) but very little micronutrition

The reason sweet drinks are a problem is because you can ingest a lot of calories from sugar without it making you feel full. Fruit juice is hardly "empty calories" but it does contain extrisic sugar. If you rely on your appetite to tell you how much to eat this can be a problem. For most lifters who count calories, this is not an issue (except that you might still feel hungry after exhausting your calorie allowance for the day)