PDA

View Full Version : New here - Need workout/nutrition advice if you'll be so kind!

MattyIrish
03-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Hello there,

I am new here, and looking to make a general post covering several different topics, and I am very much hoping that I could get some of this community's opinions and assistance.
I have browsed the website for a few hours between yesterday and today for different ideas of workouts, nutrition, etc, but I am looking to reinforce and build upon some of those ideas with you:

A few things about me first, from parts of my nutrition (or lack thereof), to my workouts:

I am 27 years old, and have been body building since I was 20, with small breaks in the past 7 years. I weigh 185 pounds, with a small amount of stomach fat (accumulated recently). When I would try and take my workouts somewhat seriously, one of my biggest FAILS would be my nutrition. Often times I would wake up around 10am and put off eating until 1pm or later (sometimes not til 230p). I know this is a HUGE "no no", as my body needs food immediately, but I felt almost sick to my stomach upon waking up. After getting diagnosed with thyroid issues, I am now able to take this part of my workout life seriously.

Nutrition fails that need correcting/maintenance: Eating in the morning, eating regularly throughout the day, and eating BETTER foods. Looking for suggestions..

As far as working out is concerned, I have always neglected my legs. I started getting a pretty big chest and arms over the years, but would put off leg day because no matter how hard I tried my legs remained small. They are still small. I also neglected cardio, because I always had the feeling that it would take away muscle I have build up, or at the very least make me thinner. Now when I run to get my body warmed up for my workouts I will run a mile or so in 9 minutes. I will be honest, I have NO idea what is the right route to go with cardio and trying to get huge.

I would certainly consider myself strong, as I can put up 285lb flat bench (8 reps 3rd set), lat pulldown over 210 lbs (8 rep last set), and dips (with 4 plates). However, despite these things I used to consider accomplishments, I am simply not where I want to be. Not even close. I always thought I knew what I was doing when it came to staying fit, but now I don't know which route to go anymore. I REALLY need some direction when it comes to many of these issues.

My workout looks something similar to this - Sunday: Chest, Monday: Legs, Tuesday:Arms, Wednesday: Shoulders/traps, Thursday: Back, Friday: rest, Saturday: rest.

My goals in list form:

- I want to eat healthier
- I want bigger legs
- I want to be bigger, stronger, and cut.
- At the same time ^, I want to be able to run without feeling winded or cutting away my muscle.

If any of you have made it this far (and I truly hope this is organized enough to read and make sense of), here are my primary questions for you:

1. How often can I do cardio if I am trying to gain a lot of muscle mass?

2. How often should I be eating? What are foods I should definitely stay away from? What simple foods/drinks can you recommend?

3. How often should I be drinking protein shakes?

4. Would you be able to share any workout routines for a strong, cut core?

5. Can I gain bigger calves simply by doing body weight calf raises standing on one leg (and switching), or is this futile?

6. I took at look at the Arnold Schwarzenegger workout and was thinking about trying this, has anybody tried this out? What workout routines work great for you?

I truly apologize if it appears I am all over the place in my post, but I have many different things I am looking to correct, and I have been told that this community is fantastic at helping others achieve their goals. Thanks ahead of time for any insight you might be able to provide me.

CanadianEmpire
03-21-2015, 06:51 PM
You have poor understanding of how nutrition works, and of how it integrates with working out. I highly suggest you go and read the stickies at the top of this section and the advanced nutrition section. Those will answer most, if not all, of your questions. If after that you still have questions then come back and we'll help you out.

It may also benefit you to read the stickies in the workout programs section.

Ferdi92
03-21-2015, 08:01 PM
1) Why would you do cardio if you try to gain muscle mass? In my opinion that's kind of a contradiction.

2) I. Depends on personal preference. Some people eat 6 meals a day, some eat 2 times and some eat 4 times. Pick out an eating schedule that works best for your lifestyle. I love intermittent fasting and it perfectly fits my schedule, so sometimes I just eat 2 huge meals and sometimes I eat 1 big meal and 2 small meals.
II. In my opinion there are no foods you should stay away from, it just has to fit your overall calorie intake. I just ate a brownie with vanilla ice cream because I had 500kcal left and I had to fill them somehow. I always try to hit 200g of protein and then I could eat what I want.

3) Again, depends on your overall calorie intake and diet. There are a lot of people who don't drink protein shakes at all. Your body doesn't care if you get your protein from meat or from a shake. A protein shake is just a convenient way to hit your protein intake.

4) Core workouts are really overrated - again, that's my opinion. I always used to workout on my abs and thought crunches and sit ups will give me a sixpack - they won't!! It's - again - all about nutrition. Squat, bench and deadlift heavy -> best ab workout!

Can't answer you 5) and 6) but what I can tell you is that you have to decide if you want to bulk and make gains or if you want to cut and get shredded. You can't wish for a strong core and sixpack but on the other side also want to get bigger. It's either bulking or cutting.
And like said above, a lot of the things are mentioned in the stickies.

AFC96
03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
1. How often can I do cardio if I am trying to gain a lot of muscle mass?

Well there has been studies that shows cardio inhibits hypertrophy.

2. How often should I be eating? What are foods I should definitely stay away from? What simple foods/drinks can you recommend?

Calculate your Macro/Calories intake properly by reading the below link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Remember the numbers are just an estimate. Adjust accordingly. Also the number of fat/protein you get are the minimums. Hit your fat/protein intake and fill in the rest of the calories with whatever macro combination you prefer.

Secondly, it does not matter with what food you hit your macros.

There is no "dirty" or "clean" food. Do not forget to hit your micros also by eating sufficient veggies and fruits.

3. How often should I be drinking protein shakes?

See answer (2).

4. Would you be able to share any workout routines for a strong, cut core?

Start FAPP-ing!

Follow A Proven Program.
Start FAPP-ing!

Follow A Proven Program.

Such as ICF5x5,Fierce5,Starting Strength, Stronglifts or Allpro.

You will experience faster gains and progress.

Such as ICF5x5,Fierce5,Starting Strength, Stronglifts or Allpro.

You will experience faster gains and progress.

5. Can I gain bigger calves simply by doing body weight calf raises standing on one leg (and switching), or is this futile?

Yes. You will have to switch to weights sooner or alter

6. I took at look at the Arnold Schwarzenegger workout and was thinking about trying this, has anybody tried this out? What workout routines work great for you?

Sucks.

Bold

gbullock32
03-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Start with nutrition- learning the basics about calorie and macro/micro nutrients and how they will help you reach your goals, read-

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129523333
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

Once you have done that select a proven beginner routine, these are made to give the best results, some good routines would be-

Starting Strength - http://startingstrength.com/

BabyLover's Starting Strength - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135564721

AllPro's Beginner Routine - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

StrongLifts 5x5 - http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

IceCream Fitness 5x5 - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063

Fierce 5 - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833

Read into those and pick the one you like best.

SUPPLEMENTS

Are just that and nothing more, you do not need them, and most are either useless or a waste of money. If you really want to take them there are a few that can be beneficial though.

Recommended-

Multivitamin- Useful for helping to fill in any holes in your diet- remember, it is there to compliment what you get from food, not replace it.

Fish Oil- Great for getting in essential fats that most do not from whole food unless eating fish fairly often.

Creatine Monohydrate- Cheapest form of creatine and the most proven/studied. 3-5 grams a day, taken at any time with any liquid is all it takes and you do not need to load or cycle nor do you need to take it with sugar. Many types of creatine exist but just go with a plain mono- do not expect miracles though, creatine will barely have any noticeable effect, it may give you an extra rep or 2 but that is about it.

Bloating with creatine is actually very minimal, if it occurs at all, and usually only happens to those who load it (which is not needed). Creatine works by saturation, pulling water into the muscles and providing more endurance: think of it like putting an extra gallon of capacity on your car's gas tank, it doesn't directly improve performance, but allows for more distance to be covered. This is essentially (in very simplified terms) what creatine will do, it will let you go just a little further.

Optional-

Protein- Not needed really, it is just a powdered food (usually derived from either a milk, plant, beef, or egg protein) that can be used to reach your minimum protein needs if you cannot do so with whole foods. Do not get caught up with what type to get, a standard whey will be the cheapest and will be just fine. Only take as much as is needed to reach protein needs for the day.

BCAA Products- BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) are said to prevent muscle breakdown and aid in recovery- this is true but you know what already has BCAAs in it? Food, any source of protein has and is comprised of branch chain amino acids. Assuming you reach protein sufficiency in your day a BCAA supplement would do nothing to aid you.

BCAA supplements may be beneficial if you take pre/intra workout only if you train in a fasted state, or taken between meals if you go 4-6 hours without food. If you do not fit either of those categories they are not needed at all, save the money.

Not needed-

Fat Burners- They do not burn fat and barely do anything in regards to losing fat. Most will only suppress appetite and provide energy. Save your money, work on diet and training first, skip fat burners entirely or save them as an option for the final part of a cut, when you need an energy boost.

CLA- Borderline useless unless you are obese, do not waste the money.

Pre-Workout- They provide energy and endurance boosts, which may be useful if you need it but hold off until you have training and nutrition experience before looking into these. Some people respond poorly to certain stimulants so if taking a pre-workout always follow the directions and dosing instructions.

Pretty much any other supplements are not worth going into, do research first, buy later or never; most will do so little in regards to actual results that your money is best saved for something useful, like a food scale.