PDA

View Full Version : Refeed while maintaining?

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 06:48 PM
I just finished bulking for about 4 months and put on about 8-10 pounds.
I was bulking on around 2200cal and in the past two weeks lowered it to 1900 then 1700 for maintenance.

Though I've been maintaining on 1700, I would like to push it up because before my bulk I was maintaining on closer to 1900-2000.

This is the first time I've looked into refeeds. I know its typically used when on a cut and in a deficit,

but could it be beneficial in the way that reverse dieting is?

Or should I aim to slowly up my carbs and fat weekly?

AFC96
03-14-2015, 06:53 PM
reverse diet, while implementing refeeds(IF you need them). Slowly decrease the amount of refeeds as you go deeper into reverse dieting.

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 07:01 PM
reverse diet, while implementing refeeds(IF you need them). Slowly decrease the amount of refeeds as you go deeper into reverse dieting.

so if Ive never done refeeds before, would it be bad to start immediately with one a week?
and how would I do both refeeds and reverse dieting without gaining?

sorry im new to all of this stuff, for the past year and a half all I've been focusing on is bulking...lol

AFC96
03-14-2015, 07:02 PM
so if Ive never done refeeds before, would it be bad to start immediately with one a week?
and how would I do both refeeds and reverse dieting without gaining?

sorry im new to all of this stuff, for the past year and a half all I've been focusing on is bulking...lol

Ummm.. because you are not eating in a surplus?

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Ummm.. because you are not eating in a surplus?

but wouldnt adding a refeed in addition to eating at maintenance cause me to be in a surplus?

FarmerBrain
03-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I was bulking on around 2200cal and in the past two weeks lowered it to 1900 then 1700 for maintenance.

Though I've been maintaining on 1700, I would like to push it up because before my bulk I was maintaining on closer to 1900-2000.

This is the first time I've looked into refeeds. I know its typically used when on a cut and in a deficit,

So confused...

2 weeks ago was bulking @ 2200cals
Last week lowered it to 1900cals
This week was 1700 cals

Wondering if you need to refeed?

What is your goal here? You seem to be flip flopping. Are you trying to cut/maintain or bulk?

Based on that you gained 8-10lbs in 4 months at 2200 cals I'd say your maintenance calories are ~1900. Eat that for 3 weeks if your goal is to maintain weight and see where/what your weight is doing then. And no, you don't need refeeds.

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 07:07 PM
So confused...

2 weeks ago was bulking @ 2200cals
Last week lowered it to 1900cals
This week was 1700 cals

Wondering if you need to refeed?

What is your goal here? You seem to be flip flopping. Are you trying to cut/maintain or bulk?

Based on that you gained 8-10lbs in 4 months at 2200 cals I'd say your maintenance calories are ~1900. Eat that for 3 weeks if your goal is to maintain weight and see where/what your weight is doing then. And no, you don't need refeeds.

I am trying to maintain.
Yes, I should be maintaining on 1900 based on how much I gained bulking and my surplus.
Thats why I am confused too, and want to reverse diet or refeed until I can get back up to 1900.

AFC96
03-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Here is how to make things clear for you:

1. Read what a refeed is and how to do it.

http://www.fitnflexed.com/article/refeed-day-how-it-works-how-often-have-it

2. Read what a reverse dieting is and how to do it.

3. If you don't need a refeed, then just reverse diet without doing any refeeds.

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Here is how to make things clear for you:

1. Read what a refeed is and how to do it.

http://www.fitnflexed.com/article/refeed-day-how-it-works-how-often-have-it

2. Read what a reverse dieting is and how to do it.

3. If you don't need a refeed, then just reverse diet without doing any refeeds.

those are really good articles, thanks! I appreciate it.

How do you know if you "need" a refeed, versus just reverse dieting?

FarmerBrain
03-14-2015, 08:13 PM
You will feel it. You'll feel flat, no energy in the gym, get fatigued easily. Only required though if you are on low carb diet for an extended period. But I'd say you would need to be cutting for atleast 2-3 months, no cheats, and be less than 12-13% BF (as a man) prior to needing a refeed.

Honestly just start eating 1900 cals a day starting tomorrow. Wait 3 weeks and evaluate from there.

EmperorRyker
03-14-2015, 08:17 PM
but could it be beneficial in the way that reverse dieting is?Reverse dieting is not beneficial, it's willingly and knowingly prolonging the suboptimal hormonal milieu your body is in while cutting. On the other hand, a refeed aims at re-establishing your hormonal balance. So the two are nothing alike, and I don't see how one would pit one against the other.

floridagirl7
03-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Reverse dieting is not beneficial, it's willingly and knowingly prolonging the suboptimal hormonal milieu your body is in while cutting. On the other hand, a refeed aims at re-establishing your hormonal balance. So the two are nothing alike, and I don't see how one would pit one against the other.

how is reverse dieting not beneficial? Please explain I don't understand.

AFC96
03-14-2015, 08:46 PM
how is reverse dieting not beneficial? Please explain I don't understand.

You are still in a deficit.

necon76
03-14-2015, 08:48 PM
suboptimal hormonal milieu

I think I saw them open for My Chemical Romance.

EjnarKolinkar
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM

So you reduced calories below your old maintenece after mass gaining @ 2200? Here is an idea. just put your calories at your old maintenance if you are taking a break from mass gains. If you are dieting, then diet. You would not need to refeed a week into a 200 calories deficit.

Keep it simple OP.

gbullock32
03-15-2015, 12:57 AM
I think I saw them open for My Chemical Romance.Damn I laughed harder than I should have at this.

77Davis
03-15-2015, 01:10 AM
but wouldnt adding a refeed in addition to eating at maintenance cause me to be in a surplus?
Bingo!

/thread

EmperorRyker
03-15-2015, 09:32 AM
I think I saw them open for My Chemical Romance.The most worrying this is you were there in the first place!