PDA

View Full Version : Any tips or advice for a beginner?

johnchapman14
02-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Hello Forum,

My name is John and I've been recommended to the site by a few friends. I've had a look around and it seems really good and all the tips and motivation seems pretty awesome -With that in mind I thought I would ask for some advice and tips moving forward. Ill set the scene...

November '14 - I was overweight and drinking way too much alcohol and sweets.. I made a conscious effort to lose weight and get fit so In December I started the Insanity program which also led me to follow the diet. I struggled through the workouts early on but managed to complete the 60 days and lost 2 stone along the way... Everyone complemented me on the wight that I lost, the fact that I looked thin and how good I looked in clothes..However underneath the clothes I still wasn't happy... Trying to stick to the diet since Insanity and finding a workout that has the same affect has been challenging also and I find myself switching between GSP's RUSHFIT and the UFC workout... As I said the problem is I'm not happy with my stomach area and still see myself as fat... Ill add some pictures so you can see what I am talking about... Ultimately I want to tone up and start working towards a six park and muscles... Can anyone give me some advice moving forward?

Thomas6241
02-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Whats you height and weight right now?

You say you want to be cut and have abs and build muscle. It really depends on what you want. You can keep cutting and just be really thin or look to pack on muscle...note, you will only be able to one or the other at a time.

If you choose to keep cutting at this point, you need to calculate what your caloric intake is in order to maintain your current bf and then reduce by a couple hundred. Continue this caloric deficit until you notice weight loss and then cut another 100 calories or so. DO NOT eliminate carbs from your diet but keep it to a minimum. I prefer to use the IIFYM calculator to adjust as needed.

As for a workout, idk if you are just in the weight loss phase with body weight exercises and light weight intense circuit training or you want to put on a good foundation of muscle. With muscle gain, you will gain fat, but DIET is vital to keep the fat gains at a minimum. If you lift, I would focus on squats and deadlifts as two major compound exercises that help newbs build a good foundation. Find a workout that incorporates these two exercises in it and be consistent.

Until you post your specific goals, Im sure someone else will chime in and give some good advice.

johnchapman14
02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm 5"9 and 13 stone at present.

I've decided that I want to build muscle, I understand keeping the diet going strong to maintain and to not gain fat... Based on gaining muscle and my current stats/pics could you/or anyone else recommend a specific workout on this site?

Thomas6241
02-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm 5"9 and 13 stone at present.

I've decided that I want to build muscle, I understand keeping the diet going strong to maintain and to not gain fat... Based on gaining muscle and my current stats/pics could you/or anyone else recommend a specific workout on this site?

No, what Im saying is if you want to gain muscle, you will gain fat. But eating at the correct surplus will help minimize the fat. Loading 3k calories a day will get you fat. Starting at 2500 and increasing to adjust for muscle gains as you grow. Find a calorie calculator and put your stats in to figure it out.

Not sure what you consider clean eating but stick to these types of foods...
Fats: nuts, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil (very important when building muscle for hormonal reasons), etc.
Protein: your whey, boneless skinless chicken breast, tuna, tilapia, lean pork, etc.
Carbs: Brown rice, (mostly whole wheat products), sweet potatoes, oatmeal,
Veggies: Darker the green the better, I dont count veggie calories

If you're doing at home workouts like p90sex or whatever videos you have, either get to a gym or buy a real home gym. Like I said, squats and deadlifts are optimal for mass gains and building a good foundation. youtube any exercises you arent familiar with so you can practice proper form. Its easier to teach your body a new movement than it is correcting bad form later on.

Monday: Chest and Tris
Flat bench press
Incline bench press
chest flyes cables or machine
Tricep rope pushdown (cables)
close grip bench for tris
overhead tricep extension

Tuesday: Back and biceps
Deadlifts
Lat pulldowns
cable rows or bent over rows
seated dumbbell curls
preacher curls
hammer curls

Wed: off

Thurs: Legs
Squats
Leg curls
Leg Extension
Calf raises standing and/or seated
Leg presses

Friday: Shoulders and Traps
Seated dumbbell press
Barbell or db shrugs
Upright rows
db lateral raises
db or cable front raises

Im not suggesting you do all of these but get a feel of what you are capable of if you are that new to lifting. I would get at least 3 sets with a rep range between 6-10 reps, so 3x6 or 3x10. I would do abs on off days and/or legs day. Its hard to be any more specific without actually knowing your physical condition, but there you have it! Best of luck!