PDA

View Full Version : High LDL....thoughts?

Nubster12
02-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Lets try this again since my last thread was needlessly locked. Anyways.....

Need to change my diet for the LDL issues. Not that my diet is that bad but I guess I need to watch my saturated fats and increase things that will help reduce the LDL. Any suggestions? I don't eat much red meat. Couple times a week at the most. Usually chicken. I figure more veggies, fish and other omega 3 rich foods (fish oil). Maybe oats. I've read oats can reduce bad cholesterol. I avoid most grains and starchy carbs but if oats will help...I'll add those in. I love oatmeal anyways. I know I need to lose weight so that will help too and the diet changes should help. Any thought? My level was 130 so I'm not on the verge of a heart attack or anything but I'd certainly like to nip it in the bud. I'm 39 FYI.

MichielN
02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
That number is utterly meaningless without additional information.

I assume you also had total cholesterol, HDL-C and triglycerides checked (i.e. standard check-up) ?

Nubster12
02-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Total is 193
Tri 97
HDL 44
VLDL 19
LDL 130

MichielN
02-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Looks fine tbh, try not to worry about it.

You say you're looking to lose weight, just do that and focus on getting regular exercise and getting your diet in check (maybe read the stickies to learn about the basics of nutrition if you haven't done so yet), and you'll be fine.

A particular sort of fiber found in oats (beta-glucan) can reduce LDL-C levels so you could try eating oatmeal regularly if that puts your heart at ease.

Nubster12
02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Looks fine tbh, try not to worry about it.

You say you're looking to lose weight, just do that and focus on getting regular exercise and getting your diet in check (maybe read the stickies to learn about the basics of nutrition if you haven't done so yet), and you'll be fine.

A particular sort of fiber found in oats (beta-glucan) can reduce LDL-C levels so you could try eating oatmeal regularly if that puts your heart at ease.

Thanks. I just wanted to kinda get a jump on it and make sure it didn't get worse and try to lower it at the same time. I need to lose weight for sure. And I do plan to start eating some oatmeal at least. Increase fish and start taking Omega 3's again. My diet isn't terrible...probably eat a little too much sugar at times and probably too many eggs, 2+ dozen a week. Otherwise, it's pretty solid. Thanks again for the help.

ParsleyTea
02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
You might google Dr. Davis's sight called TrackYourPlaque. He's a prevention cardiologist. He has a number of suggestions on lowering and measuring LDL, along with overall cholesterol management. It's also an informative sight giving advice on ways to detect heart disease. I found his suggestions worked well.

Not to be confusing, but I've been reading Dr. Kendrick's new book the last few days. Enjoyable read. He's been studying heart disease treatments for a few decades. He gives the other side of the story concerning the cholesterol theory.

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org

EmperorRyker
02-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Looks fine tbh, try not to worry about it.Ugh, no, it doesn't. Those HDL and LDL levels should almost be flipped. In my case, for example, my HDL is 119 and LDL 56. So he's absolutely right in wanting to do something about it.

Looton
02-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Total is 193
Tri 97
HDL 44
VLDL 19
LDL 130
LDL a touch high per the standard set by the companies selling you statins.
LDL-c (NMR) is what counts LDL-p
What's your Apo-B?
Also, particle type; large & fluffy LDL or small & dense? Small & dense is bad, large & buoyant not so much.

Drink Carlsens fish oil 2x day 1 tbsp

C-reactive protein is a good one to know as well.
gl!

MichielN
02-26-2015, 02:11 AM
Ugh, no, it doesn't. Those HDL and LDL levels should almost be flipped. In my case, for example, my HDL is 119 and LDL 56. So he's absolutely right in wanting to do something about it.

Read up on the subject at hand and try again later.