PDA

View Full Version : Macro Ratio to cut low ??

kevsch
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi.

I have a plan to cut down to constest fat % by this summer. Just to try it, and to give myself a challange.
And i know a lot about dieting, but i still have one question left.
Since i require a lot of calories to maintain as well as bulk, i have found that i need around 3400 calories a day to loose weight (1 lbs a week). And i also know that a pretty good macro ratio is the 40/40/20 split, but that just seems impossible for me with my economy. Can i get the same results on a 50/30/20 ratio even though that means i will hit about 425 grams of carbs a day? To me that seems like a lot of carbs when you cut.
Or do you think i should be around a 40/30/30 or even a 35/30/35 split?

I know my body, and i know i can get down to 8 or even 7.5 % just by being in a caloric def, but i want to try and hit 5-5.5%

Thanks

SuffolkPunch
02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
You don't need to use ratios, you just need to meet sufficiency for protein and fat. See the macro calculation thread for recommended levels.

If you really are cutting to such low numbers, you won't be able to manage 1lb a week without losing muscle. About half that perhaps.

robert5891
02-19-2015, 01:18 PM
First off, don't use percentages for setting up your diet. Start off by reading the stickies at the top of the page...they provide a wealth of useful information to help you with this.

Here's a quick guide for fat loss courtesy of...Texmo87

1.) in Order to lose body fat you have to be in a caloric deficit, taking in fewer calories than your body can burn off.
2.) you need to calculate a BMR which is your basal metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories your body burns daily just to function if it were in a sedentary state.
3.) calculate a TDEE which is your total daily expenditure of energy. This is the amount of calories your body burns just to maintain your current body weight given your current activity level. ( BMR x Activity level ).
4.) Calculate your macros making sure your hitting your minimums from protein and fats.
5.) Put yourself into a caloric deficit under your new calculated TDEE. you can choose a less aggressive deficit to start like 12-15% of your TDEE
6.) Make sure that daily you hit minimums from protein and fats, the rest of the calories you need to fill to meet daily caloric target can be filled with what ever you want ( protein, carbs, fats).
7.) be consistent day to day with hitting your macros and daily caloric target for 2-3 weeks, monitor weight change results.
8.) if you are losing weight at a rate you feel is satisfactory then continue plan. If you haven't lost weight you've found your true TDEE, adjust to intake less calories. If you've gained weight, which is highly unlikely unless you made a mistake with your calculations, this means you're eating in a caloric surplus (eating more calories than your body can burn off).

The calculated numbers you get from BMR and TDEE are not 100% accurate, although close, they are just a starting point for you. Its up to you to be consistent with daily caloric intake for 2-3 weeks to find out what your true TDEE is through experimentation.

Read these stickies for information on how to calculate a BMR/TDEE/Macros and learn about a bunch of other great nutritional topics.

P.s. of course the current exercise plan you are doing is enough to shed body fat given your eating in a caloric deficit.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

kevsch
02-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. :)
Sorry, your links dosent work. But its just as i expected. So i will just up my fats and lower my carbs :)

robert5891
02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys. :)
Sorry, your links dosent work. But its just as i expected. So i will just up my fats and lower my carbs :)

Fixed! sorry about that.

Eyesontheprize1
02-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Every body is different and responds differently Percentages don't work for everyone. Personally i prefer using grams per lb for Protein, fat and carbs. and adjusting those to hit my daily caloric intake.

You have to know your body. Personally I go very low carb. Not because i'm Keto but because my body is very sensitive to Carbs. When i tried doing 1 gram carbs per lb per day, my weight loss. more more importantly my BF reduction completely stopped even though i was at a deficit. Going down to .5 - .75 (2 a day days) i got back on track to loosing 1lb per week with the same level of calories but getting more of my calories from fat and protein.