PDA

View Full Version : Iifym

regno
02-17-2015, 08:57 PM
OK, so I've tried this topic in misc section. Bad idea..

Anyway, I have some questions regarding this IIFYM. We all probably know what it is.

Also, after you finished reading this, if you will finish, LOL, you'll probably be thinking that what I've lined here, is not IIFYM. Well, it is. It's just pushing it to the very extreme but the whole idea behind it is the same.

Okay, here we go.

Let's take 2 subjects to fully understand what I'm trying to ask. Let's say both subjects are twins with almost identical genetic makeup, hormone levels, body type, muscle fiber composition, etc. Also, both subjects have identical approach to training, same exercises, same reps, same sets, etc. And both are drug free.

Subject A diet consists of:

Carb sources: Oatmeal, buckwheat, brown rice, white rice, quinoa, fibrous vegetables, fruits.
Protein sources: meats (chicken breast, lean ground beef, pork, turkey) cottage cheese, fish, eggs, protein powder.
Fat sources: meats, eggs, nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, fish, natural peanut butter.

Subject B diet consists of:

Basically junk and fast food: Pizzas, burgers, sweats, poptarts, donuts, sodas. But he does consume protein powder.

Subjects B diet is very high in sugar, trans and saturated fat, low in fiber. Btw, subject B doesn't eat anything that subject A does and vice-versa. Sure, subject B eats pizzas, burgers and they might have some chicken, beef along with some veggies in it but you get the idea. He doesn't eat that food alone, if it comes in a junk food form, that's ok for him.

Subjects A diet is also high in fat but most fats come from healthy sources. His sugar intake is very low. Fiber intake is high. His diet is basically what we call "clean eating".

Now let's say both these subjects consume 3300 calories a day. Macronutrient ratio is the same. Both subjects consume 200g of protein, 400g of carbs and 100g of fat. But as we know, macronutrient sources are different.

Now you might be thinking how the hell subject B consumes 200g of protein if he eats junk food? He does ingest some protein from junk food and what is left, he makes up with protein powder. Subject B also takes multi-vitamin to fill the obvious micronutrient deficiency gaps.

So basically Subject B is using shortcuts, he tries to consume enough carbs and fats from junk food because he enjoys it and he probably drinks 4 or 5 shakes of protein a day to hit his protein a day and takes multi to avoid micro's defiency.

And here's the question you've waited so long. Do you believe that both these subjects will have the same body composition and the same muscle building results? And what about fat loss? Because that's what IIFYM stands for. That's the whole concept and idea behind it, am I right?

If it's true, than there's no such thing as diet. A person can eat junk and chit all day long, he will hit his carb and fat intake a day and will just use protein powder to hit his protein intake a day andwill take multi to avoid vitamin and micro's deficiency. Sure, he won't be the healthiest person but if the muscle building potential is the same, then I'm sure a handful of people would try this because I'm sure there are people who do not have dedication and motivation to eat healthy and for some muscle comes before health.

I'm sure there was subject like this or maybe similar but I'm too lazy to use the search.

Anyway, let's discuss.

desslok
02-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Because that's what IIFYM stands for. That's the whole concept and idea behind it, am I right?

Nope. Not even remotely close. Not sure how so many simpletons are just unable to grasp such a basic concept....

chocogyrl098
02-17-2015, 09:40 PM
You kind of missed the mark here. Any type of dieting is iifym, it's simply hitting a macronutrient profile, which you will have to do even if you're only clean eating.

Iifym is not an excuse to eat pop tarts and pizza all day. I recommend you do a little bit of research. Even if you do eat pizza, you would still have to eat clean for the rest of the day to hit your macros. And I can assure you, that if I have one piece of apple cobbler with ice cream, there is no way in hell that I would be able hit my macros for the day since I would use most of my fat and carbs.

Yes, you will often see a lot of iifym proponents posting pictures of junk food on social media. That does not mean that is all they eat.

I recommend you do a little bit more research on it and you, too, will see the light.

regno
02-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Okay, it's not IIFYM, whatever. I would then like to hear comments about this comparison. That's all. If anyone has or knows any similar study that was conducted, that would be nice.

BeauFlexington
02-17-2015, 10:58 PM
I'm sure there was subject like this or maybe similar but I'm too lazy to use the search.

No kidding.

IIFYM isn't a license to do stupid things, like compose a diet exclusively of low-micronutrient density foods, or fat and sugar ratios that are nutritionally challenging. It's a guide to moderation, for people who understand moderation, as well as people who need a little road map now and then for moderation assistance.

But this has been said over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... x20 again.

Quoting one of the Classics:

IIFYM is basically the IQ test of the fitness world.

Blainex
02-18-2015, 12:00 AM
No kidding.

IIFYM isn't a license to do stupid things, like compose a diet exclusively of low-micronutrient density foods, or fat and sugar ratios that are nutritionally challenging. It's a guide to moderation, for people who understand moderation, as well as people who need a little road map now and then for moderation assistance.

But this has been said over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... x20 again.

Quoting one of the Classics:

never seen that quote... repped.