PDA

View Full Version : Surplus calories increasing???

NPD82
02-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

Long time reader but first time posting with something I'm finding quite frustrating, hoping to get some advice..

Quick back story - May / June last year I weighed 96kg (211lb) and decided I was fat and needed to lose some weight so I hit the pavement doing 5km runs and substantially altering my diet. By end of August I was weighing in at 81kg (178lb). Being 6'2" I definitely looked skinny fat so for the first time in my life I decided to do some weight training.

Now it's hard to go from diet mode to smashing lots of calories to bulk up. For the first month and a half I was basically wasting my time and not eating nearly enough calories and subsequently put on no weight. So I upped my daily calories to 3000 and starting putting on a bit. Then it stopped.
So I upped it again to 3500 - 3600 and started putting on weight again and of course my belly started to get a little bit of fat. After another couple of KG's I stopped again, and have since upped it to around the 4000 per day mark.

Is this normal to have to up the calorie consumption as you put on weight???

I have also noticed that I am putting a little fat on around the belly and sides which is frustrating but from all accounts is kind of necessary?? My diet is fairly good but I am having 2 gainer shakes a day (of around 500 calories each including milk) to ease the pain of eating so much food.

Anyone care to shed any light on this?? As it stands I weigh 90kg (198lb) so have increased 9kg in 5.5 months (including the month and half wasted not eating right).

I should also add that most calculators I have used suggest around the 3200 calorie per day mark which seems way off. I am also using myfitnesspal to track calories and am very strict with it.

Many thanks..

determined4000
02-14-2015, 10:05 PM
if you are putting on too much fat, then why are you increasing calories?

NPD82
02-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Well from everything I've read it seems to be that you have to eat surplus calories which inevitably translates into slight fat gain??

For me it seems to get to a point where I'm no longer putting on weight... It just stalls. So it seems I've hit some sort of maintenance level so thinking I up calories again??

AFC96
02-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Well from everything I've read it seems to be that you have to eat surplus calories which inevitably translates into slight fat gain??

For me it seems to get to a point where I'm no longer putting on weight... It just stalls. So it seems I've hit some sort of maintenance level so thinking I up calories again??

If it stalls for 2-3 weeks then up your calories or do less activity.

NPD82
02-14-2015, 10:26 PM
If it stalls for 2-3 weeks then up your calories or do less activity.

Yeah this is what I have been doing.. Problem is where does it stop and is it normal for this to happen???

AFC96
02-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah this is what I have been doing.. Problem is where does it stop and is it normal for this to happen???

By where does it stop what do you mean?

Yes its normal.

NPD82
02-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Well every time I put on a couple kg's am I going to have to up calories ??? I'm which case I'd be going up to 5000+ which seems absurd.

AFC96
02-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Well every time I put on a couple kg's am I going to have to up calories ??? I'm which case I'd be going up to 5000+ which seems absurd.

Yes every time you put on a couple of KG's you have to up your calories.

The heavier you are, the more calories you need to MAINTAIN that weight.

You won't up your calories to 5000kcal. You will be fat enough to cut before you reach 5000kcal.