PDA

View Full Version : Clean snack ideas?

prince3o
02-11-2015, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone, so I've been eating clean for some time. I don't count calories or anything crazy, but I'm getting a little tired of eating the same snacks in-between meals.Can anyone give me suggestions? Simple stuff best, but everything is appreciated. I'd love stuff to keep in my desk at work that doesn't require much effort. Sugar-free, salt-free, and if carb then whole-wheat/whole-grain.

Jasonk282
02-11-2015, 06:05 AM
oreos, but wash them first so they're 'clean'

loganhart
02-11-2015, 06:10 AM
Hi everyone, so I've been eating clean for some time. I don't count calories or anything crazy, but I'm getting a little tired of eating the same snacks in-between meals.Can anyone give me suggestions? Simple stuff best, but everything is appreciated. I'd love stuff to keep in my desk at work that doesn't require much effort. Sugar-free, salt-free, and if carb then whole-wheat/whole-grain.

Why?

gbullock32
02-11-2015, 06:57 AM
oreos, but wash them first so they're 'clean'Dunk in milk- good to go!

snorkelman
02-11-2015, 07:06 AM
OP, please describe what you mean by the vague term "clean."

Auxe
02-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Explain: Sugar-free, salt-free, and if carb then whole-wheat/whole-grain.

Otherwise look into cliff bars, some of the smaller protein bars, black coffee/tea, rice cakes, unsalted mixed nuts, frozen veggies you can microwave at work.

Or just fast through your day job and look into intermittent fasting

prince3o
02-11-2015, 07:37 AM
oreos, but wash them first so they're 'clean'

Tried that. Maybe I should use soap?

OP, please describe what you mean by the vague term "clean."

Looking for healthier eating options.

Explain: Sugar-free, salt-free, and if carb then whole-wheat/whole-grain.

Otherwise look into cliff bars, some of the smaller protein bars, black coffee/tea, rice cakes, unsalted mixed nuts, frozen veggies you can microwave at work.

Or just fast through your day job and look into intermittent fasting

Thanks. I eat rice cakes, quest bars, almonds, all-natural peanut butter, and fruit. I'm curious what everyone else eats. I don't drink coffee or any other caffein drinks, so the cliff bars won't work. I'll try keeping a few bags of those frozen veggies at work. Thank you.

Auxe
02-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Tried that. Maybe I should use soap?

Looking for healthier eating options.

Thanks. I eat rice cakes, quest bars, almonds, all-natural peanut butter, and fruit. I'm curious what everyone else eats. I don't drink coffee or any other caffein drinks, so the cliff bars won't work. I'll try keeping a few bags of those frozen veggies at work. Thank you.

I don't snack. Intermittent fasting for cutting - or for bulking I just eat another meal if I'm hungry.

Do you do any meal prep? Any need to snack instead of just eating a lunch?

Any reason you don't drink coffee?

prince3o
02-11-2015, 08:15 AM
I don't snack. Intermittent fasting for cutting - or for bulking I just eat another meal if I'm hungry.

Do you do any meal prep? Any need to snack instead of just eating a lunch?

Any reason you don't drink coffee?

I have 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and snack in between. Doesn't have to be huge. Normally a handful of almonds does the trick. Keeping a small stock of these choices are a better alternative than eating the crap I could find around here.

I do prep my meals and not replacing them with snacks.

My body doesn't react well to caffeine. I get jittery in a bad way.

ngerdts
02-11-2015, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=prince3o;1338721511]Hi everyone, so I've been eating clean for some time. I don't count calories or anything crazy, but I'm getting a little tired of eating the same snacks in-between meals.Can anyone give me suggestions? Simple stuff best, but everything is appreciated. I'd love stuff to keep in my desk at work that doesn't require much effort. Sugar-free, salt-free, and if carb then whole-wheat/whole-grain.[/QUOTE

As far as desks snacks go I think your only options are going to include carbs. If you google healthy desk snack ideas a lot of good options pop up.

MetilHed
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Why does not drinking coffee mean that clif bars won't work ?

rhadam
02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Sugar free, salt free, whole grain... lmao you literally have taken the fun out of living.

Why are you excluding these things?

prince3o
02-11-2015, 10:03 AM
As far as desks snacks go I think your only options are going to include carbs. If you google healthy desk snack ideas a lot of good options pop up.

I meant if it were a carb then I'd prefer for it to be a whole wheat or whole grain. Thanks. I'll check that out now.

Why does not drinking coffee mean that clif bars won't work ?

Cliff Bars have caffeine in them.

mjf100215
02-11-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't count calories or anything crazy, but I'm getting a little tired of eating the same snacks in-between meals.

Considering you don't do anything crazy like count calories (who does that anyway?? sheesh...) eat whatever you want. Just buy whatever looks good that has no sugar, salt, flavor, excitement, apparently dirt is a no no too, etc.

Hell, if I had no caloric restrictions, my snack would be a giant burger with some greasy fries... washed of course to be clean.

snorkelman
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Cliff Bars have caffeine in them.

Not all of them, and even the two that I saw which did contain caffeine, only had 50 mg.

ChiBearsfan
02-11-2015, 11:02 AM
cheese

prince3o
02-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Considering you don't do anything crazy like count calories (who does that anyway?? sheesh...) eat whatever you want. Just buy whatever looks good that has no sugar, salt, flavor, excitement, apparently dirt is a no no too, etc.

Hell, if I had no caloric restrictions, my snack would be a giant burger with some greasy fries... washed of course to be clean.

In that case I might as well just eat whatever I want and forget about wanting to eat healthy. There's no need to be a smart ass. I asked for healthy snack suggestions not your opinion. Just because I don't have the same views you do on eating/dieting doesn't mean you could knock people for not counting calories.

Not all of them, and even the two that I saw which did contain caffeine, only had 50 mg.

My body doesn't react well to caffeine, so I choose to stay away from it all together. Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep an eye out for the Cliff Bars without caffeine.

Jasonk282
02-11-2015, 11:35 AM
In that case I might as well just eat whatever I want and forget about wanting to eat healthy. There's no need to be a smart ass. I asked for healthy snack suggestions not your opinion. Just because I don't have the same views you do on eating/dieting doesn't mean you could knock people for not counting calories.

fruit and decaf coffee seem to be calling your name. what exactly is 'eating healthy'? and a 'healthy snack"?

ThunderBee
02-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah I have absolutely no idea what healthy means. What is that?!?! Definitely stick to oreos cause now that IFFYM is out, my entire adolescent life has actually just been completely erased.

OP go to the grocery store, and walk around the produce section until you see something that looks appetizing. But you really can go around to any place in the store and pick out anything that looks good, even poptarts. Unprocessed food or not, Just make sure to look at how many calories are in a serving so you can get a better estimate on your daily intake (I know you don't count cals, but it's good to check at least once, cause I once found out a tiny fruit I was eating that I thought was around 30-50 cals was actually closer to 100) (persimmon)

So chose anything that looks good, but be somewhat aware of its calories and macros, that is what matters for body composition.
As far as mental goes, if you like eating "fresh, clean" food because you don't feel as guilty, as long as your checking the nutrition facts just stick to anything that has only 1 ingredient. Or cheese

Jasonk282
02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Yeah I have absolutely no idea what healthy means. What is that?!?! Definitely stick to oreos cause now that IFFYM is out, my entire adolescent life has actually just been completely erased.

If OP has a well rounded nutrition then having a oreo of 2 every day for a snack is not going to make him 'unhealthy' No more than if someone eats poptarts and fried twinkes but drinks water all the time makes them healthy.

it's in the context of their overall diet. no single food is healthy or unhealthy.

digistp
02-11-2015, 11:56 AM
You're getting these reactions because this clean myth has been abused and perpetuated since before I joined the forums. Stay away from industrial trans fats; other than that, no food is inherently healthy or unhealthy by itself. You have to take the dose of said food and the context of your overall diet into consideration.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

gbullock32
02-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Could always get some of those nasty kale crisps/chips they sell in the health section; grosser than just about anything else... but meets all of your requisites I think.

Jasonk282
02-11-2015, 11:59 AM
OP which is more 'healthy'

A. 140 cals 6f, 21c, 1p
B. 95 cals, .0.3f, 25c, 0.5p

rimam1
02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Here's my favorite:

1 cup Greek yogurt (24g protein, 9g carbs, 0g fat)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (7g carbs)
11 chocolate almonds (12g fat, 2g protein, 13g carbs)

It's the best.

tadzytadzio
02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Beef Jerky.

Don't snack between meals.

EjnarKolinkar
02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
I keep peanut butter and bread in my desk OP, quick PB sammich gets the job done. Bring a banana to hit the next level.

desslok
02-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Like bags of cashews

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NbB5mI80L.jpg

kellibean
02-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Plain greek yogurt with strawberries and almonds

Connor1226
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM

o_O
I'm not sure what you think clean means if you are going to say salt-free, sugar-free, and whole wheat/whole grain.
Highlights the point that, that term may be meaningless.

My snacks:
nuts
cheese
cottage cheese
fruit (not sugar free)
veggies
humus
dried fruit

prince3o
02-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

o_O
I'm not sure what you think clean means if you are going to say salt-free, sugar-free, and whole wheat/whole grain.
Highlights the point that, that term may be meaningless.

My snacks:
nuts
cheese
cottage cheese
fruit (not sugar free)
veggies
humus
dried fruit

I should've specified, I don't mind natural fats and sugars. I just try to stay away from added sugars/salts and unnecessary fats.

Ukace
02-12-2015, 05:49 AM
salmon is pretty good

yogurt aswell and fruits are good

dried nuts and fruits can be good as well but depending on how much fat, sugar and salt u want to get

what i usually have is just a quick shake with banana milk peanut butter and yogurt all blended