PDA

View Full Version : wtf how is my cholesterol so high???

barbariancase
02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm at 890 and myfitnesspal says I should be 300, lmao wtf.
food I eat everyday http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/caseyboyswag

InItForFitness
02-10-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm going to venture a guess and say it's because of the foods you're consuming.

That being said, simply consuming a "high" amount of cholesterol isn't going to lead to having unhealthy cholesterol balance.
If you're worried about your health, consult with a medical professional for evaluation.

barbariancase
02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm going to venture a guess and say it's because of the foods you're consuming.

That being said, simply consuming a "high" amount of cholesterol isn't going to lead to having unhealthy cholesterol balance.
If you're worried about your health, consult with a medical professional for evaluation.
nah man I feel great, but wtf, does this mean I could have heart problems and seizures and sh*t?

ironwill2008
02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/caseyboyswag

How do you know you "at 890?"

InItForFitness
02-10-2015, 11:42 AM
nah man I feel great, but wtf, does this mean I could have heart problems and seizures and sh*t?

No one here can tell you. We're not doctors.
Follow my advice and if you're worried about your health see a doctor for evaluation.

barbariancase
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM
How do you know you "at 890?" myfitnesspal, just saw 1 egg has 187mg cholesterol

ironwill2008
02-10-2015, 12:26 PM
myfitnesspal, just saw 1 egg has 187mg cholesterol

:confused:

What does that have to do with levels of blood cholesterol?

gbullock32
02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
myfitnesspal, just saw 1 egg has 187mg cholesterolDietary cholesterol has minimal/no impact on blood cholesterol in most people (only those with certain medical conditions need to be concerned).

tadzytadzio
02-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Dietary cholesterol intake has nothing to do in healthy individuals with HDL/LDL cholesterol levels. That's outdated knowledge and has been debunked.

Just for an example of 1 N case study, there was a time when I was eating an extremely high fat (and hence cholesterol) diet (keto). I'm talking a dozen eggs on butter and that's just breakfast for good 6-8 weeks (before that, roughly 6 months, my diet was also very low carb and high fat, but not to this extreme). I did bloodwork towards the end of it. My cholesterol levels were that of a healthy 12 year old kid, absolutely immaculate.

In fact it has been hypothesised and proven that excess simple carbs (i.e. sugar) are one of the key causes of cardiovascular diseases. It's the way that the liver processes these nutrients and transform them into glucose.

ZMan45
02-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Dietary cholesterol intake has nothing to do in healthy individuals with HDL/LDL cholesterol levels. That's outdated knowledge and has been debunked.

Just for an example of 1 N case study, there was a time when I was eating an extremely high fat (and hence cholesterol) diet (keto). I'm talking a dozen eggs on butter and that's just breakfast for good 6-8 weeks (before that, roughly 6 months, my diet was also very low carb and high fat, but not to this extreme). I did bloodwork towards the end of it. My cholesterol levels were that of a healthy 12 year old kid, absolutely immaculate.

In fact it has been hypothesised and proven that excess simple carbs (i.e. sugar) are one of the key causes of cardiovascular diseases. It's the way that the liver processes these nutrients and transform them into glucose.I think it depends on the individual too. I believe I've seen Alan and Will Brink both mention somewhere that some frequent drinkers of "Bulletproof Coffee" are experiencing higher blood cholesterol levels.

IzTriv
02-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Why are foods high in cholesterol seen as so bad then? Same with how mono and poly fats seen as good as they lower LDL...I'm obviously missing something.

ZMan45
02-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Why are foods high in cholesterol seen as so bad then? Same with how mono and poly fats seen as good as they lower LDL...I'm obviously missing something.That's just it. They're seen that way, but it's not always necessarily the case. Look at how many low fat products are touted as being better for you when in reality the fat has typically just been replaced with sugar. Like in peanut butter for example.

OT2000
02-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Unless you have an existing condition ( or pre ) and require a special diet, I would not worry about your dietary intake. Of course, there should be balance in your diet to meet proper macro and micro needs.

nicholina
02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Even high blood cholesterol is not harmful in the absence of cardiovascular inflammation.

ShyGuyXS
02-10-2015, 05:39 PM
food I eat everyday

Are you talking about your cholesterol intake on MFP? It's not really clear, but I'm guessing that because the "RDA" is 300mg or less per day. (The food diary is private, by the way. I couldn't view it.)

If you're eating a couple of eggs every day, that could easily push that intake above 300mg, but it's not going to have a significant impact on your blood cholesterol.

tadzytadzio
02-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Why are foods high in cholesterol seen as so bad then? Same with how mono and poly fats seen as good as they lower LDL...I'm obviously missing something.

This information is based on outdated studies. It will take time before the society learns and it becomes "seen" as the norm, but I am confident it eventually will.

As ZMan45 said, I imagine it does depend on the individual, but so does everything. I am finding posting in these boards an increasingly political exercise. It's common sense that all this info (including peer reviewed studies) is 80/20. If people's physiques follow a normal distribution (and they almost certainly do) then of course you will have 10-30% (1-2 standard deviations from the mean) outliers who just don't fit the prediction you are making regarding any metabolic or other process.

So it's perfectly probable that you will have an individual who eats an egg and suffers a heart attack. But on that account do we discredit the fact that most of the population does not suffer elevated cholesterol after dietary cholesterol consumption? People tend to mix this up nowadays, because they eat loads of processed **** that is full both of fat (the nasty hydrogenated kind) and sugars. It is the sugar that elevates the blood cholesterol, but fat has been made the culprit for decades. It's like bro science that entered mainstream consciousness.