PDA

View Full Version : Diet advice needed...

julianlewis7
02-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Ok so long story short, I have been heavy my whole life, but very physically active. I lift weights, box, do martial arts,mountain bike,ect ect..I just had very poor eating habits..I have hovered around 280lbs@5-11(41%BMI) for about 10 years now,prior to that I was about 250 most of my adult life. Im fat no doubt about that, always have been,even at 250 I could have stood to loose about 30 lbs..

Recently I hurt my shoulder and required surgery and thus plumped up to 307 lbs of inactivity(2nd heaviest of my life)..I actually looked towards the Gastric sleeve as my last resort and literally backed out of surgery in the hospital just about 20 minutes from surgery. I just could not justify the risks of the surgery considering I was perfectly healthy other than being a BMI of over 40%, my blood work is perfect...No high blood pressure, perfect blood sugars, perfect everything..I literally had no health issues other than being overweight.
I felt I was not a candidate for surgery and still had options in my life and just needed to display some self control and eat a healthy diet. At that moment I have never felt so helpless and it was like a scared straight program for fat guys, I never want to experience that day ever again. This was January 12th 2015.

Since that day I have decided to get back in shape and have been eating very clean and have gone from 307 (just prior to New Years Day) down to about 280 today. I have been eating just under 1600 calories a day of mostly protein and some fats, very low carbs. I have eliminated Caffeine, Sugar and all starches and complex carbohydrates. Keep in mind Im recovering from shoulder surgery and all I can really do is walk my dog 3 miles a day or some light cardio on the gym.

I have been using MY FITNESS PAL to track my daily caloric intake. And have gone as far as got Resting Metabolic Rate Testing at a physicians office, along with weekly B12/MIC injections. The results of the RMR says I burn just over 2600 calories a day with no activity, and up to 3700 a day when I exercise, although it was vague on what they consider exercise.

I would like some diet advice to cut weight, but keep in mind I am a big strong guy that plans on strength training at least 4 days a week once my shoulder is good to go.

Here is a sample of my daily diets:

Breakfast:

1 Jumbo whole egg
2 egg whites
3 slices of turkey bacon

Snack:

Ideal protein strawberry wafer bar (200 calories,15 g of protein)

Lunch:

6 oz of grilled chicken
Mixed greens salad
zero calorie dressing
1/2 oz of Feta cheese

Dinner:

Salmon grilled 6 oz
1 cup of Brussels sprouts sauteed with olive oil
1 salad mixed greens

Snack:
Power Pack High protein pudding (190 calories- 30gms of protein)

This daily diet averages out to anywhere from 1400-1600 calories max with about 140-150 grams of protein.. My question is am I eating enough to lose weight? Cause I noticed the scale just stopped moving over the past 4 days, and was wondering if I should make some adjustments.. I understand eventually I will have to raise the calories to a maintenance level.

Thanks in advance.

julianlewis7
02-05-2015, 04:35 PM
And just to give you an idea of my frame, Im 270 lbs in this picture from 5 years ago when I was dieting down from 320lbs. But I was eating an absurd amount of protein (365 grams a day) and couldnt physically maintain that diet anymore..

chicky74
02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
My favorite tip:

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

ShyGuyXS
02-05-2015, 04:46 PM
The results of the RMR says I burn just over 2600 calories a day with no activity, and up to 3700 a day when I exercise, although it was vague on what they consider exercise.
My guess is that would include a moderate activity level with your workouts.

-snip-
My question is am I eating enough to lose weight? Cause I noticed the scale just stopped moving over the past 4 days
-snip-
No. Your calorie intake is WAY too low and unsustainable. As a general rule it should NEVER be below your RMR (which is ~2600 according to your post). Otherwise, your body will start to slow down and conserve energy in response to the extreme deficit (thus slowing weight loss and, if you're not careful, causing unnecessary damage and loss of muscle mass).

-snip-
...was wondering if I should make some adjustments.. I understand eventually I will have to raise the calories to a maintenance level.
Thanks in advance.
I would slowly build back up to maintenance now, over several weeks, to allow your body to readjust. Similar to hitting the "reset" button.

From there, once you have a good idea of your TDEE (which I believe you do), subtract 10%-20% of that for a caloric deficit. The weight may not come off as quickly as you'd like (maybe 0.75-1lb per week), but your body will thank you for it in the long run. If you haven't yet read the sticky here (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183) for calculating macros, that will be very helpful for you to form a better plan.

I hope that helps you to some extent - I don't have all the answers for your situation, but best of luck!

grouchyjarhead
02-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Your calories are way too low, OP. You're essentially starving yourself, so it's actually going to be a lot of muscle you're losing. Muscle actually burns more calories than fat, so when you go back to a regular diet, you will probably add more weight back. Extreme deficits like this are terrible for you.

My advice would be to go to your doctor and find out how you can talk to a nutritional expert.

My favorite tip:

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

But plants are what my food eats...

julianlewis7
02-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Keep in mind, Im not working out at all right now other than walking.. Also, I actually am full from eating the calories I am eating now..How can I increase to 2600 calories without gaining weight? I would have to be Eating constantly,which I kinda want to stop doing..Uggg...Why must it be so complicated...

Also my days of heavy lifting are way behind me, I plan on a moderate weight training, but no body building..Im stronger than the average guy already without trying..But Im tired of injuries.

grouchyjarhead
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Keep in mind, Im not working out at all right now other than walking.. Also, I actually am full from eating the calories I am eating now..How can I increase to 2600 calories without gaining weight? I would have to be Eating constantly,which I kinda want to stop doing..Uggg...Why must it be so complicated...

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is essentially what calories your body burns to survive the day to day without a change. Extreme drops in calories means your body goes into starvation mode, which is not good.

You don't necessarily have to eat constantly, just eat more nutritionally dense food and add a little bit to what you're eating now. Add a red potato here and there, increase how much meat you're eating, eat a handful of nuts with your protein bar, etc.

julianlewis7
02-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is essentially what calories your body burns to survive the day to day without a change. Extreme drops in calories means your body goes into starvation mode, which is not good.

You don't necessarily have to eat constantly, just eat more nutritionally dense food and add a little bit to what you're eating now. Add a red potato here and there, increase how much meat you're eating, eat a handful of nuts with your protein bar, etc.

Gotcha...I was gonna add in a very high carb day once a week with possibly a cheat meal, but dont think I better do this, since i dont have a really good understanding of the whole process...I think my best bet is to meet with a good certified sports nutritionist and provide them with my testing results..