PDA

View Full Version : Is IF the best way to put on lean mass?

eveningninja
02-03-2015, 02:13 AM
I've always sort of applied a bit of the key principles of intermittent fasting by having the large majority of my calories post-workout every day. Right now I'm wanting to bulk and maintain my abs, and I've heard a lot of people rave about how they packed on lots of lean mass using intermittent fasting. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs, roughly somewhere between 7-10% body fat I believe. I want to get to about 175 lbs, but I want to get there as lean as possible. Would intermittent fasting be the way to go for me you think?

gbullock32
02-03-2015, 04:45 AM
IF is just a meal schedule, its benefit comes mostly from convenience and personal preference.

Best way to put on lean mass is to stick with a lower caloric surplus (10-20% above TDEE), keeping weight gain to about .5 pounds a week while getting in your protein and fat minimums, filling out remaining calories with carbs/fat/protein as you want. Do that while utilizing a proven lifting routine that follows progressive overload and you are golden.

Duggalios
02-04-2015, 04:45 AM
Forget this fasting method...instead do what the poster above advises....eat eat eat !

I find going for 1.5-2g per lbs for protein and a decent carbs/fats mix but smaller meals through the day all aiming toward your macros.

Lift heavy, eat a lot more than you are and expect your bodyfat to increase slightly as your mass does - which you can of course later burn

I've always sort of applied a bit of the key principles of intermittent fasting by having the large majority of my calories post-workout every day. Right now I'm wanting to bulk and maintain my abs, and I've heard a lot of people rave about how they packed on lots of lean mass using intermittent fasting. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs, roughly somewhere between 7-10% body fat I believe. I want to get to about 175 lbs, but I want to get there as lean as possible. Would intermittent fasting be the way to go for me you think?

makGOAT
02-04-2015, 02:11 PM

IF is great.
People who haven't tried it always have opinions about it without even giving it a try.

These people are legit:
Go to fastingtwins on youtube for some serious help/advice
Otherwise, alanaragon here on these forums

I have tried IF, it was great.
I am doing something else now, but IF works and it's wonderful.

Duggalios
02-05-2015, 01:17 AM
In the interest of bodybuilding, what are your stats now and what were they before you went on this diet?

IF is great.
People who haven't tried it always have opinions about it without even giving it a try.

These people are legit:
Go to fastingtwins on youtube for some serious help/advice
Otherwise, alanaragon here on these forums

I have tried IF, it was great.
I am doing something else now, but IF works and it's wonderful.

Thornton90
02-08-2015, 04:33 AM
I suppose it depends what sort of an appetite you have, as for me IF has actually helped me gain lean body mass with very minimal fat.

The reason behind this is, as I can eat larger meals I can curb my appetite with a lower amount of calories.

Without IF it would be a little more difficult for me to stick to a small calorie surplus, therefore IF has benefited me greatly.

I suppose on the other hand, if you have a small appetite and struggle to eat then IF probably won't help you.

cackeye
02-28-2015, 10:59 AM
It seems to fly in the face of the old 'eat little and often' bodybuilder nutrition principle...

jwarrenfit
03-15-2015, 06:14 PM
IF is my protocol bulking or cutting. Never wanna go above 10% personally

CanadianEmpire
03-16-2015, 01:51 PM
I suppose it depends what sort of an appetite you have, as for me IF has actually helped me gain lean body mass with very minimal fat.

The reason behind this is, as I can eat larger meals I can curb my appetite with a lower amount of calories.

Without IF it would be a little more difficult for me to stick to a small calorie surplus, therefore IF has benefited me greatly.

I suppose on the other hand, if you have a small appetite and struggle to eat then IF probably won't help you.

On the other end of the spectrum, it can help if you have an issue staying in a deficit. If you're someone like me who tends to be hungry/snack-ish later in the evening (after 6) then IF is a great too to help you stay within your caloric goal..

It seems to fly in the face of the old 'eat little and often' bodybuilder nutrition principle...

Because that's what we like to call "bro-science"

drewkocak
04-19-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't think IF is great for bulking honestly.. Even the hodgetwins, who swear by IF for cutting, say they wouldn't use it to bulk

JerryB
05-18-2015, 09:39 PM

That's like asking if you breathe in more air by holding your breath.