PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on diet and overtraining

IShallNotGiveUp
01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Hi,

I had been refraining from posting as anything that there is to know about bodybuilding is very well documented all over the internet, but today I think experienced overtraining, and to be able to continue, I decided I would post. Please forgive me if I am re-posting something.

I started gymming last year and i achieved some newbie gains, but I hit plateaus and I did little on and off.

This year I re-started gymming (3+ month break) and here's what my routine and diet have been:

Week 1:
Day 1: Medium chest + biceps
Day 4-6: Started from my plateau weights.

Week 2:
Day 1, 3: Lats, cable pulldown: 4x6 (70 lbs) + Triceps
Day 2, 4: Chest, cable: 4x6 (30 lbs) max weight inclined press + 3x6 pacfly + Shoulders Press (20 lbs)
Day 5: Lats, upgraded to 79 lbs, shoulder upgraded to 24lbs
Day 6: Chest, upgraded to 35 lbs
Day 7 Rest

Week 3 (This):
Day 1: Lats 4x6 @90lbs + Shoulder Press @30lbs
Day 2: Chest inclined press 4x6 @40lbs (not coerced) + Pacfly
Day 3: Lats cable pulldown 3x6 @90lbs + Assisted Pullups, 100deg across, 100lbs effective weight
Day 4: Today

Diet:
I weigh 187lbs, 5'10'' height, so I am massively overweight. I have been severely dieting + eating Whey protein (~30-35g per day, once after workout). As you can see, I experienced some gains.

However, I didn't have a great session yesterday, and today, I have been feeling tired since morning. I went anyway, and while I could do inclined press + bench press, I felt fatigue, and stopped after 2 sets.

I think I have prehaps overtrained, but not much. I would very much like it if you could tell me what I can do right.

PS: Like I mentioned, I am overweight, but my fat is centered around the pelvic region (some belly fat + ****ing hips + thighs). I have a weak upper body, and hence, if I had to pick between bodybuilding and weight loss, I would give bodybuilding a priority.

PPS: I am currently doing only compound cable exercises and not weights. I don't do chest +shoulder (push) and lats +bicep (pull) as so I do cross: lats+shoulder (pull).

KuFo
01-30-2015, 08:37 AM
You are not even close to overtraining, trust me. And you will have days like this. Just keep pushing through

IShallNotGiveUp
01-30-2015, 09:16 AM
You are not even close to overtraining, trust me. And you will have days like this. Just keep pushing through

I still wanted to confirm this. However, should I increase protein, or diet or both. Get rid of the fatigue.

KuFo
01-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I still wanted to confirm this. However, should I increase protein, or diet or both. Get rid of the fatigue.

I would say at 180 lbs you should be consuming around 120-150 grams of protein a day. A really good tip i can give too for beginning is keep it simple and don't over complicate things. I strictly do dips, pull ups, push ups, squats and run everyday. I see great gains. My diet is lots of veggies tuna, hamburger, chicken breasts, kidney beans, brown rice. What kind of body are you looking for? Looking to gain some serious mass? Or you want that gymnastics lean body?

IShallNotGiveUp
01-31-2015, 02:05 AM
I would say at 180 lbs you should be consuming around 120-150 grams of protein a day. A really good tip i can give too for beginning is keep it simple and don't over complicate things. I strictly do dips, pull ups, push ups, squats and run everyday. I see great gains. My diet is lots of veggies tuna, hamburger, chicken breasts, kidney beans, brown rice. What kind of body are you looking for? Looking to gain some serious mass? Or you want that gymnastics lean body?

Like I mentioned, I have a wide pelvic bone and the pelvic region. I plan to get BIG on my upper body (chest, back and shoulders to get proportionate). Hence, I am looking to get some serious mass. Besides, if I go sedentary, my metabolism drops very sharply, so LEAN is not an option for me.

Thanks for the advice, I have increased my regular diet, and starting tomorrow, I will add a protein shake to my breakfast or lunch as well, and see where I go.