PDA

View Full Version : Calorie confusion, macros knowledge needed.

gio14
01-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys could use some help to make sure I'm on the right track with my numbers. I calculated my macros and BMR numbers but wasn't making much progress. So I recently got a fitbit Charge HR to accurately asses my calorie burn as to better track cals in cals out. I'm just a lil confused how off my numbers are looking from the ones i got calculating them form the online tools. The fit bit is calculating my calorie burn off my heart rate for the day so I'm assuming it's the most accurate.

When using tools I came up with a BMR of 1890BMR 2599TDEE (M/37/6,0/180), my workouts were estimated at 500 cal burn, using fymii I calculated my macros at 3100cal so I could gain some weight(Goal weight 185). Percentages at 40/25/35

After using fitbit HR my cal burn for workout days amounted to a whopping 3639calories on workout days (workouts burn are 578cal) and 3061 on non workout days.

Does this make sense that I'm burning 3061 cal just to get thru my day? So based on my numbers I need to eat over 4kcal per day? I'm basing that off adding 15%(460cal) to my TDEE(3061cal) So... (3639+460= 4099cal requirement to gain weight?!)

Want to make sure my numbers are on target, any help is greatly appreciated, I'm not a numbers guy but I realize these need to be dialed in, so I'm not spinning my wheels!!

gbullock32
01-29-2015, 11:48 AM
No matter the method it will all just be 'best guess', an estimate you use as a starting point; you try it then adjust based on results either adding or subtracting calories based on results and goal.

Also- do not use ratios to determine macro split, fat and protein have minimums you need to meet, after that fill out calories with pro/carbs/fat as you want.

Protein - .6-.8 grams per pound
Fat - .4 grams per pound

gio14
01-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Sure I agree if were guessing within the 50-100 cal area, but not a 500Cal x/day difference. That's 3500cal per week difference. From what I understand the numbers need to be pretty dialed. Minimums have already been calculated in the macro splits. Some feedback on numbers accuracy would be appreciated.

ShyGuyXS
01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
No calculator is going to be perfectly accurate, and unless you're a pro and cautiously tracking your intake to stay on track for a show or something, then your numbers don't need to be so precise.

Your TDEE should include any activity you've been doing when you estimate it. So, if you estimated it at 2600, then it's ~2600 on rest days and ~3100-3200 on workout days. A net average TDEE throughout the week would be a good starting point, then add 10-20% surplus from there. Track your results, and if it's not helping you meet your goals, adjust your intake accordingly.

EDIT: The fitbit HR info seems to be 500 higher, but were you working out while it was getting that information?

tl;dr: I would start with your estimates, then adjust as needed.

gio14
01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Ye the fitbit added my 578cal for my workout thous totaling out at 3639. So If I'm understanding this correctly based on fitbit my real TDEE is 3061 so I'll use that for non workout days and 3639 for workout days..then just Tack on my 15% surplus for weight gain?! Also does 40/25/35 seem reasonable for lean weight gain gain?

AFC96
01-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Ye the fitbit added my 578cal for my workout thous totaling out at 3639. So If I'm understanding this correctly based on fitbit my real TDEE is 3061 so I'll use that for non workout days and 3639 for workout days..then just Tack on my 15% surplus for weight gain?! Also does 40/25/35 seem reasonable for lean weight gain gain?

You did not read any of the comments given.

gio14
01-29-2015, 03:31 PM
You did not read any of the comments given.

How so? The TDEE calculated with online calculators was an estimation, as far as I'm gathering the fitbit is giving me a true TDEE? What am I missing?

AFC96
01-29-2015, 03:39 PM
How so? The TDEE calculated with online calculators was an estimation, as far as I'm gathering the fitbit is giving me a true TDEE? What am I missing?

Calculate your Macro/Calories intake properly by reading the below link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Remember the numbers are just an estimate. Adjust accordingly. Also the number of fat/protein you get are the minimums. Hit your fat/protein intake and fill in the rest of the calories with whatever macro combination you prefer.

Secondly, it does not matter with what food you hit your macros.

There is no "dirty" or "clean" food. Do not forget to hit your micros also by eating sufficient veggies and fruits.

Nobody cares about Fitbit/myfitnesspal/other app estimations. They are inaccurate are way off.

EjnarKolinkar
01-29-2015, 03:48 PM
What does "not making much progress" mean OP?

Have you been trying to gain or lose weight?

gio14
01-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Not making progress as in I was oscillating between 179-180..stuck. Sometime I jump down a few pounds actually not sure if that just water weight or what but i'll oscilate from 176-180 within the day sometimes. I want to add weight to 185.

I calculated my original numbers following the calculators on the link referenced above... I understand that all the magic formulas are there..got it n that's what I used!

But since I started tracking "actual" calories burnt with a HR monitor it looks like I was way off by almost 900 cal x/day. If u read my original post all the numbers are in there? Just looking for a macros number guy to make sure my new numbers at about 4k per day are accurate. Its a huge jump in cals for me just want to make sure the way am calculating is correct.

EjnarKolinkar
01-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Not making progress as in I was oscillating between 179-180..stuck. Sometime I jump down a few pounds actually not sure if that just water weight or what but i'll oscilate from 176-180 within the day sometimes. I want to add weight to 185.

I calculated my original numbers following the calculators on the link referenced above... I understand that all the magic formulas are there..got it n that's what I used!

But since I started tracking "actual" calories burnt with a HR monitor it looks like I was way off by almost 900 cal x/day. If u read my original post all the numbers are in there? Just looking for a macros number guy to make sure my new numbers at about 4k per day are accurate. Its a huge jump in cals for me just want to make sure the way am calculating is correct.

If you were tracking that whole time, and fundamentally eating at maintenance based on results, you would not need to recalculate. Just add 100-200 calories to what you were eating and track progress a few weeks, repeat as needed to get to rate of gain desired.

Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

ShyGuyXS
01-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Ye the fitbit added my 578cal for my workout thous totaling out at 3639. So If I'm understanding this correctly based on fitbit my real TDEE is 3061 so I'll use that for non workout days and 3639 for workout days..

Your TDEE should account for all activity that you do, on average, including workouts.

If you were at a plateau and your weight wasn't changing, how many calories were you eating before on average? That's around your maintenance. Even if it's a ballpark figure, try taking that and adding 10-15% of that to your intake. Monitor the scale and mirror for a week or two, then up the calories if you still aren't gaining.

Alex8696
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Hi Guys could use some help to make sure I'm on the right track with my numbers. I calculated my macros and BMR numbers but wasn't making much progress. So I recently got a fitbit Charge HR to accurately asses my calorie burn as to better track cals in cals out. I'm just a lil confused how off my numbers are looking from the ones i got calculating them form the online tools. The fit bit is calculating my calorie burn off my heart rate for the day so I'm assuming it's the most accurate.

When using tools I came up with a BMR of 1890BMR 2599TDEE (M/37/6,0/180), my workouts were estimated at 500 cal burn, using fymii I calculated my macros at 3100cal so I could gain some weight(Goal weight 185). Percentages at 40/25/35

After using fitbit HR my cal burn for workout days amounted to a whopping 3639calories on workout days (workouts burn are 578cal) and 3061 on non workout days.

Does this make sense that I'm burning 3061 cal just to get thru my day? So based on my numbers I need to eat over 4kcal per day? I'm basing that off adding 15%(460cal) to my TDEE(3061cal) So... (3639+460= 4099cal requirement to gain weight?!)

Want to make sure my numbers are on target, any help is greatly appreciated, I'm not a numbers guy but I realize these need to be dialed in, so I'm not spinning my wheels!!

I'm in the same boat. Idk if I should go off my tdee or my fitbit, because both vary very significantly. I just started a bulk so idek if I'm gaining. My weight already shot up a good 5-7 lbs. How is everything going for you so far?