PDA

View Full Version : Fail mary ref suffering from PTSD

beer n brats
01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
won't let me post link on mobile but it's a quick google search... anyway, I was roasting more than anyone after that play but damn, it is just a game... feel bad for the old fart

Cliffs: lance easily is still depressed, got death threats, made of fun of by the nation, separated from wife after 28 years, contemplated suicide

Vbrah
01-13-2015, 05:19 PM
here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/since--fail-mary---referee-lance-easley-says-he-is-battling-ptsd-120929270.html

poor guy

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 05:22 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/violin-steve-buscemi.gif

here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/since--fail-mary---referee-lance-easley-says-he-is-battling-ptsd-120929270.html

poor guy

Why don't you go help him out brah. He loves spending time in Cali

If he was smart he'd move to Seattle and he'd have to fight off 10/10 HBBs and never have to pay for anything ever again

BullStampede
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Shame. Amazing how sports make people lose all perspective on what is really important. Death threats to someone over a game? Would neg irl

DeshaunWatson
01-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Shame. Amazing how sports make people lose all perspective on what is really important. Death threats to someone over a game? Would neg irl

Do you even Steve Bartman

holtmcg
01-13-2015, 05:45 PM
I can understand combat veterans having PTSD and what not, but a replacement referee claiming to have it because he made a bad call? Hahaha give me a break.

smallbonesjones
01-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I can understand combat veterans having PTSD and what not, but a replacement referee claiming to have it because he made a bad call? Hahaha give me a break.
did you read the article? its not so much the call but the result of it. People sending him death threats, heckling him in public, that **** can get to you easily especially if you just want to lead a normal life

JMath
01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
As a guy who works with veterans with PTSD on a daily basis, this is bordering on ridiculous that he would claim to have PTSD. He is seriously using the most fringe criteria to make this claim.

Brb someone sent me an email saying they were gonna kill me. Criteria A.
Brb flashbacks of having said email sent to me. Criteria B.

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
did you read the article? its not so much the call but the result of it. People sending him death threats, heckling him in public, that **** can get to you easily especially if you just want to lead a normal life

#shouldnthavecrossedthepicketline
#whereisyourgodnow

Mac_xX
01-13-2015, 06:12 PM
As a guy who works with veterans with PTSD on a daily basis, this is bordering on ridiculous that he would claim to have PTSD. He is seriously using the most fringe criteria to make this claim.

Brb someone sent me an email saying they were gonna kill me. Criteria A.
Brb flashbacks of having said email sent to me. Criteria B.

You do realize that PTSD is not singularly reserved for war veterans, correct? Not everyone has the same trigger for something like this, it's not just a 'toughen up man' situation. Working with people with PTSD, you should know better.

holtmcg
01-13-2015, 06:12 PM
did you read the article? its not so much the call but the result of it. People sending him death threats, heckling him in public, that **** can get to you easily especially if you just want to lead a normal lifeOh shut up. He got heckled and a couple of death threats. Claiming PTSD is about as inane as it gets for this geezer.

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Maybe if you're a mental midget. And ironically he'd fit right in with all the mental midgets on the Packers defense

JMath
01-13-2015, 06:18 PM
You do realize that PTSD is not singularly reserved for war veterans, correct? Not everyone has the same trigger for something like this, it's not just a 'toughen up man' situation. Working with people with PTSD, you should know better.

Look at the actual diagnosis. Of course I know that. But the failed call doesn't meet criteria A. So for him to even remotely say he has PTSD he would have to say that the death threat emails are the source of his PTSD. You cannot have PTSD from making a bad call in a football game...just look at criteria a of the DSM 5. Then if he does say "oh those death threats are the source" that would mean that he was having nightmares, intrusive thoughts, etc. of those emails. Not the call itself. So yeah...I highly doubt he has PTSD. If he wants to say he has another stress disorder, coupled with depression or anxiety, cool. But PTSD just doesn't fit, it just sounds more dramatic and makes you feel worse for him than if he said he's got depression.

holtmcg
01-13-2015, 06:19 PM
You do realize that PTSD is not singularly reserved for war veterans, correct? Not everyone has the same trigger for something like this, it's not just a 'toughen up man' situation. Working with people with PTSD, you should know better.I understand it's not just reserved for vets, but we're talking about a REFEREE. A referee for God's sake...

CCAurora
01-13-2015, 06:21 PM
If the internet existed 40 years ago, you could replace "Fail Mary Ref" with "Vietnam Veteran" and the replies would all still work.

Mac_xX
01-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I understand it's not just reserved for vets, but we're talking about a REFEREE. A referee for God's sake...

Being an official in the most popular sport in America is a pretty stressful position.

Look at the actual diagnosis. Of course I know that. But the failed call doesn't meet criteria A. So for him to even remotely say he has PTSD he would have to say that the death threat emails are the source of his PTSD. You cannot have PTSD from making a bad call in a football game...just look at criteria a of the DSM 5. Then if he does say "oh those death threats are the source" that would mean that he was having nightmares, intrusive thoughts, etc. of those emails. Not the call itself. So yeah...I highly doubt he has PTSD. If he wants to say he has another stress disorder, coupled with depression or anxiety, cool. But PTSD just doesn't fit, it just sounds more dramatic and makes you feel worse for him than if he said he's got depression.

Legit answer, clearly you know more what you're talking about than what I do. Dudes definitely having some bad issues, he was on the negative end of one of the bigger sports stories of the year. Could see how that could get to you pretty bad.

JMath
01-13-2015, 06:24 PM
If the internet existed 40 years ago, you could replace "Fail Mary Ref" with "Vietnam Veteran" and the replies would all still work.

40 years ago there was no diagnosis for PTSD. It didn't exist as any kind of official diagnosis...I don't think it was an actual diagnosis until 1980....random fact of the day. Lol.

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1243594993_cupcakedog-war-flashbacks.gif

smallbonesjones
01-13-2015, 07:21 PM
football fans are phuking crazy, you cant tell me that being threatened by multiple people over the phone and by email isn't something that would get you paranoid, and people heckling you when they see you in public. I dont know if i would diagnose it PTSD, but it can definitely get in someones head and **** them up. And he has no grounds for a law suit if thats what any of you guys are saying, he can't sue the NFL because he botched a call in a game, and is getting threatened by external parties.

OregonBBinc
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
whether your "educated" opinion says all of this tied together in some way shape or form as legit ptsd or not, and im not sure how you could get a proper "professional" diagnoses off an internet article, its besides the point. The guys quality of life has decreased because of a football call (in a regular season game at that), thats pathetic on the fans part.

Since this is sports misc i am obligated to point out how classless and chitty of people packer fans are, true scum.

i will also say, since im not a complete dumba** that i realize this doesnt reflect the fan base as a whole.

Ralph Wiggum
01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
40 years ago there was no diagnosis for PTSD. It didn't exist as any kind of official diagnosis...I don't think it was an actual diagnosis until 1980....random fact of the day. Lol.

They called it 'shell shock.'

beer n brats
01-13-2015, 08:02 PM
why do some people think its only the packers fans harrassing the guy? its probably just general fans who were betting that got screwed.

DATNEWNEWNEW
01-13-2015, 08:16 PM

nothing official, but weren't the symptoms recognized as a different name?

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 08:20 PM
why do some people think its only the packers fans harrassing the guy? its probably just general fans who were betting that got screwed.

Packer fans are worse than degenerate gamblers

Just be glad he didn't screw over Philly...he'd be dead before he developed his PTSD

OregonBBinc
01-13-2015, 08:23 PM

why would you not assume the vast majority of people mad about it are packers fans is the better question. not everyone makes a living betting on sports like sports misc does.

wildchild11
read this article and from what I understand this dude was no wimp, he was a former marine.
brb left to pick up the pieces of his life, brb in a mountain of debt. the NFL is richer than all of Africa, they should throw this guy a bone financially. free positive press for a league that needs it.

JMath
They called it 'shell shock.'

Yeah they had a variety of names for it. They just weren't actual official diagnosis. Shell shock was one. They actually recognized it WAY back. Can't remember what they called it, or if they had a name for it, but in some books, and Greek mythology they describe it very accurately. The civil war in the US is when we first started recognizing it here I think. Then they called it Soldiers Heart.

wildchild11
01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
also this is unrelated but it is PATHETIC that the league still employs part time refs only. should be a full time job 365 days a year

JMath
01-13-2015, 08:30 PM
nothing official, but weren't the symptoms recognized as a different name?

They were. It's funny, they sort of acknowledged it but by a different name around WWII. It was a different stress disorder. Then when the next version of the DSM came out, they completely took out that diagnosis. Kind of like how they did with Aspergers a couple years ago when the latest version came out. Now Aspergers is lumped into the autism spectrum. But like I said, the symptoms of PTSD have been recognized going at least as far back as Greek mythology.

Upshall18
01-13-2015, 08:31 PM
also this is unrelated but it is PATHETIC that the league still employs part time refs only. should be a full time job 365 days a year

Ya then they wouldn't have even needed to review it to see that Dez didn't catch it, they would've known because of their extensive training

tpt
01-13-2015, 08:36 PM
The ironic thing about this article is that it will generate more hate towards him and get his name out there and remembered again

cncman
01-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Shame. Amazing how sports make people lose all perspective on what is really important. Death threats to someone over a game? Would neg irlu don't even sec

rampagefc77
01-14-2015, 03:59 AM
Packers fans sending this guy death threats over a week 3 regular season game? Srsly?

Doubt it was packers fans, more than likely it was people that lost big cash betting on the game. Most were fed up with the replacement refs at this point, and this was the last straw. The game did end up being costly though, since the packers lost home field advantage in the playoffs because of this 1 loss...

smallbonesjones
01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Ya then they wouldn't have even needed to review it to see that Dez didn't catch it, they would've known because of their extensive training
theres a reason most of the officials are either doing real hard work or dominant professionals in there fields. These are intelligent men they bring to ref the football games, no one with any determination and passion would want to focus 100% of there time perfecitng something that cant be perfected. If someone sits there all day they wont be able to better differentiate in real time between a PI and a non PI, it happens so fast. The reason other sports have full time officials is because they have games every day

BullStampede
01-15-2015, 06:05 AM
Do you even Steve Bartman

Another great example. Praying for another 100 years of Cubless World Series. Dont care that Maddon is there now.

u don't even sec

No I dont.