PDA

View Full Version : Constant binges due to boredom.

DizzP9
01-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Gained 2-3lbs over 3 weeks during the christmas period. It was from being bored really, sitting there with nothing to do. Constantly binging and thinking about food.

Got back to work last week and I've lost 1lbs and kept to my diet 100%. This weekend I've binged 2700 calories over my maintenance, completely due to boredom.

Anyone deal with boredom eating?

Asguroth
01-10-2015, 10:54 AM
1- Do something to keep your mind focused or distracted so you wont be bored.
2- Learn to control yourself.

Its all in will power and our minds. You know whats your problem (boredom) so now just find a way to not be bored and when you do find yourself bored and going into the kitchen just think and walk away.

DizzP9
01-10-2015, 11:07 AM
1- Do something to keep your mind focused or distracted so you wont be bored.
2- Learn to control yourself.

Its all in will power and our minds. You know whats your problem (boredom) so now just find a way to not be bored and when you do find yourself bored and going into the kitchen just think and walk away.Your completely right. I find it way too hard to not just have a single bite out of a biscuit/anything in the kitchen. Theres always piles and piles of junk food in the house(I can't tell my family not to bring that stuff). Far too tempting when it's everywhere you go(literally).

Maverick2015
01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Two things. First, what is your diet while cutting? Second, how much do you want to be in shape vs how much are others telling you to get in shape? Both these have a big impact on binging. If your diet is too strict the this can be the result. If you are not self motivated then this can be the result. Also, if you write down what you are about to eat rather than what you just ate it might help you think twice or at least limit the amounts. If you don't have family support then it falls on you even more. They don't have to keep the food out of the house, but perhaps they can limit it to one location.

How long were you cutting? The beginning is more difficult. If you are eating out of boredom then create snack packs with X amount of calories. Try to fill them with lower calorie items as much as possible. Otherwise you either have to tell the family to hide everything, not buy the stuff, or you need to grow a pair :D If this wasn't a common problem then most of us here wouldn't be fat. You have to set mini goals and make sure you meet them. If not then you need to reset. This keeps you in check. Do monthly or weekly or whatever goals. Start posting your weight here on a regular basis so we can kick your butt back into gear (or motivate you somehow).

At the beginning I needed cheat items that fit within my caloric limit. So I had mini candies that were about 50 calories or so. Now I don't need that crutch. If I am looking for food i will grab some water and maybe some string cheese or tuna or something. Good luck.

StevieMaria
01-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't keep excess food in the house, so boredom eating doesn't really happen. And if it does, it gets logged as I go so I have to really pay attention what goes into my mouth for the rest of the day.

I can't tell anyone to keep less food in their house. If you're living at home and there are piles of junk food around, maybe keep your scale out on the counter to remind yourself whatever you're about to eat should be weighed and logged. But maybe you should find a hobby.

DizzP9
01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Two things. First, what is your diet while cutting? Second, how much do you want to be in shape vs how much are others telling you to get in shape? Both these have a big impact on binging. If your diet is too strict the this can be the result. If you are not self motivated then this can be the result. Also, if you write down what you are about to eat rather than what you just ate it might help you think twice or at least limit the amounts. If you don't have family support then it falls on you even more. They don't have to keep the food out of the house, but perhaps they can limit it to one location.

How long were you cutting? The beginning is more difficult. If you are eating out of boredom then create snack packs with X amount of calories. Try to fill them with lower calorie items as much as possible. Otherwise you either have to tell the family to hide everything, not buy the stuff, or you need to grow a pair :D If this wasn't a common problem then most of us here wouldn't be fat. You have to set mini goals and make sure you meet them. If not then you need to reset. This keeps you in check. Do monthly or weekly or whatever goals. Start posting your weight here on a regular basis so we can kick your butt back into gear (or motivate you somehow).

At the beginning I needed cheat items that fit within my caloric limit. So I had mini candies that were about 50 calories or so. Now I don't need that crutch. If I am looking for food i will grab some water and maybe some string cheese or tuna or something. Good luck. 1700 calories, 130g protein, 60g-70g fat, 150g carbs~. I'm skinnyfat, so I look skinny in clothes. My parents think I don't eat enough and say I need to bulk up. But I have 25lbs~ of pure fat left to lose.

I've been TRYING to cut down for the past 2 years. I've been at the same weight more or less. Before then I've lost 50lbs~.

Kurt909
01-10-2015, 03:43 PM
I have this problem too mate

Food doesn't even have to be in the house.. I'll get in the car and go get what I want! It's really hard to say no. But so far I'm doing well.

The trick is keeping busy

chewbrahca91
01-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Boredom eater checking in.
Last 8 weekends I haven't binged. At all.
It was hard the first few weeks but as others have said, keep yourself fully distracted.
Throughout the week is easy as chit. Work keeps me busy.
But on weekends ... man, I'll find anything (I mean ANYTHING) to keep me distracted. This means playing guitar for hours on end, playing WoW for hours on end even though the game is pretty boring as chit right now, fapping (srs), sleeping, walking, spontaneously going for walks.
Next thing you know the day's gone and you shower and go to sleep.
Keep your head high bro. We all gonna make it.

Also, at least on the saturday, I buy myself Dominos. One pizza, two drinks and some chicken dippers. Whole thing tallies up to 1900 calories. The epitome of 'dirty' food and I'm fitting it into my calorie allowance. Feels good man :)

Kurt909
01-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Boredom eater checking in.
Last 8 weekends I haven't binged. At all.
It was hard the first few weeks but as others have said, keep yourself fully distracted.
Throughout the week is easy as chit. Work keeps me busy.
But on weekends ... man, I'll find anything (I mean ANYTHING) to keep me distracted. This means playing guitar for hours on end, playing WoW for hours on end even though the game is pretty boring as chit right now, fapping (srs), sleeping, walking, spontaneously going for walks.
Next thing you know the day's gone and you shower and go to sleep.
Keep your head high bro. We all gonna make it.

Also, at least on the saturday, I buy myself Dominos. One pizza, two drinks and some chicken dippers. Whole thing tallies up to 1900 calories. The epitome of 'dirty' food and I'm fitting it into my calorie allowance. Feels good man :)

So is that basically all you have all day? To fit it in?

Znik
01-11-2015, 02:33 AM
Instead of trying to distract yourself, you could practice self control ... If being bored or near junkfood/snacks etc. causes you to binge you are going to have a problem for the rest of your life if you dont learn how to control yourself.

If your goal is to lose weight, then that's what you focus on, why would being bored suddenly make you get up and forget/ignore your goal ?

My house is pretty much filled up with chocolate,cookies,crisps, freezer full of baked goodies (apple cake,chocolate cake,cinnamon buns etc.) all the time, if I am cutting I don't eat it. It's that simple.
Binging and such is like a self-inflicted sabotage, all it does it set you back and makes the time to get lean longer and wastes time you could spend bulking getting gains, so why bother?

KrispyBacon
01-11-2015, 05:19 AM
If you can break the cycle of weekend/boredom eating then it will get easier. Lose a couple of pounds and it with all snowball from there. Good luck.

chewbrahca91
01-11-2015, 05:32 AM
So is that basically all you have all day? To fit it in?

I still have 400 calories to play with but essentially yes.

lifnisanders
01-11-2015, 06:55 AM
It's more of a mind control actually. If i was stuck in that kinda moment, i'd look back to see who i was before and said to myself i'd never want to be that person again. Starting over sucks, dont quit. It's okay to have cheat meals, to at least desire your emotion but always control it.