PDA

View Full Version : Need advice! So confused.

tkbuc
01-01-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm really torn between whether or not I should use NEAT or TDEE calorie calculations for the upcoming year.

Over the past two years, I was using the MyFitness Pal NEAT calculation and although I did lose weight very slowly (from 253 to 198), I grew tired of having to try and calculate calories burned and eat them back every day. Over the past three months, due to my father passing away from cancer and the holidays, I fell off the wagon and back into old habits. I'm back up to 211lbs and I feel so, so guilty and pissed. I'm rejuvenated to get back in my routine!

Here is where I need your help! I like the idea of using TDEE, but psychologically I'm scared as the number of calories are higher (than MFP) and I feel like I'm going to balloon up again and lose the progress I have made. Plus, most of the TDEE calculators give me different goals. Scooby's calculator tells me my TDEE is 2,747 (-20%=2,198) and the IIFYM calculator tells me my TDEE is 2,652 (-20%=2,122). My fitness pal tells me my NEAT is 1,830+exercise. I am a 38yr old male, 211lbs and 5' 9". I have a desk job from 6:30am-3:00pm but I do 20 min of cardio and 40 mins of weightlifting 4 times a week. My goal is to get down to 180/175lbs and build as much muscle as realistically as I can while losing the weight.

- What do you recommend I do for the upcoming year based on your experience? TDEE or NEAT?
- Does my current desk job and work out routine classify me as "sedentary" or lightly active for TDEE calculators?
- Is there a more accurate calculator than the two I mentioned?

Any advice from you pro's would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and Happy New Year!

themonkay
01-02-2015, 10:47 AM
sorry to hear about your recent loss

This thread pretty much answers everything you are asking. Feel free to ask more questions in there:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Best of luck to you and your 2015 goals