PDA

View Full Version : Just turned 43 and frustrated.

HogRyder
01-01-2015, 04:26 AM
I am not new to working out but I have really hit a wall the last few years. I started a new job three years ago that has me working from 11PM till 7AM usually Monday through Friday. This has really got my body confused. When I started I weighed 178 and as of yesterday I'm up to 207. I just recently stopped working out three weeks ago because of the frustration. I really need some guidance on how to eat, when to eat and when to workout.

I have worked out at home for years now but have decided to rejoin a gym because I just don't feel motivated about working out at home anymore. I was thinking about starting to hit the gym right after work but one of my biggest issues with my schedule is that I don't get enough sleep and I'm always tired. Will I be doing myself more harm than good after being up all night and then trying to work out? Should I eat before I work out and after I work out before I go to bed? For the last few years I have refused to eat at work and before bed because I was concerned this would lead to weight gain due to inactivity during those hours. As you can guess this has backfired.

I have been doing the body for life workout routine for years but will now be trying something from this sight. My goal is to weigh 180 to 183 with as little body fat percentage I can get down to. Maybe 9 to 11%? I don't know how realistic that goal is either. The weight goal can be done but even when I was 178 my body fat was at 19%. I'm just tired of doing things the wrong way. If anybody could give me some insight that would be great. I will be taking my measurements and before picture today.

Thanks,
HogRyder

mtpockets
01-01-2015, 04:35 AM
I did nights and trained......

put down the excuses

pick up your big girl panties...

Life happens,

Training will too, if you want it bad enough!

good luck!

NZDarren
01-01-2015, 04:39 AM
I work 6pm - 6am

I usually get up about 1pm, eat, leave for the gym just after 3pm, workout take a shower and head to work.
Get off at 6am, home and asleep by 6:30. Repeat.

EjnarKolinkar
01-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Lose the excuses, train on a good progression, eat to your goal. Keep it simple.

Emma Leigh's Calculating Calories and Macronutrients (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403&p=1122002343&viewfull=1#post1122002343), Calorie Counting 101 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159938141&p=1201341361&viewfull=1#post1201341361), How to lose fat for noobs II (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741&p=553453753&viewfull=1#post553453753)

Good luck.

TheFuarkingBoss
01-01-2015, 04:45 AM
Bro why you make it sound so complicated? You work 11pm-7am. So you could do whatever the phuck you want until 2pm train eat, then sleep at 2 get up at 10 hit work and do the same. You can eat whenever the phuck you want, you must be lying if you are saying you cut down on eating but have put on 30lbs of weight.

robosphere
01-01-2015, 08:56 AM
I feel you, man. I work all 3 shifts and have a family. It isn't always easy to get it in, but you'll feel great if you do. I don't know your whole situation, but if you're that unmotivated to work out at home, you really think you're going to be motivated to schlep all your stuff to a gym and back?

I work out at home in the basement because it's much easier to slip downstairs for an hour than it is to drive, change, lift, change drive. If you think the gym will motivate you, though, go for it.

When I worked 3rd shift, I'd come home, do all my crap for the day all morning and go to bed around 2 or 3, then wake up at 10 to get ready for work. That way, even if you lift after work, it's no different than some one who works dayshift and waits till after work to lift.

Squid24
01-01-2015, 09:19 AM
I am not new to working out but I have really hit a wall the last few years. I started a new job three years ago that has me working from 11PM till 7AM usually Monday through Friday. This has really got my body confused. When I started I weighed 178 and as of yesterday I'm up to 207. I just recently stopped working out three weeks ago because of the frustration. I really need some guidance on how to eat, when to eat and when to workout.

I have worked out at home for years now but have decided to rejoin a gym because I just don't feel motivated about working out at home anymore. I was thinking about starting to hit the gym right after work but one of my biggest issues with my schedule is that I don't get enough sleep and I'm always tired. Will I be doing myself more harm than good after being up all night and then trying to work out? Should I eat before I work out and after I work out before I go to bed? For the last few years I have refused to eat at work and before bed because I was concerned this would lead to weight gain due to inactivity during those hours. As you can guess this has backfired.

I have been doing the body for life workout routine for years but will now be trying something from this sight. My goal is to weigh 180 to 183 with as little body fat percentage I can get down to. Maybe 9 to 11%? I don't know how realistic that goal is either. The weight goal can be done but even when I was 178 my body fat was at 19%. I'm just tired of doing things the wrong way. If anybody could give me some insight that would be great. I will be taking my measurements and before picture today.

Thanks,
HogRyder
So you work an 8 hr shift...like most reg ppl. Take out the actual times and just treat it like a normal day shift. you get up 1-2hrs before you have to be to work. You work 8 hrs. 1-2 hrs after work you start your workout and you do tha for 1-2 hrs, eat, and in 2 hrs ya go to bed. So that would look something like this for you: Wake up at 9pm, work from 11pm - 7am, workout from either 8-10 or 9-11am eat at either 11am or noon, go to bed around 1-1:30pm. Get all you meals in when you can and your supps.

I feel you, man. I work all 3 shifts and have a family. It isn't always easy to get it in, but you'll feel great if you do. I don't know your whole situation, but if you're that unmotivated to work out at home, you really think you're going to be motivated to schlep all your stuff to a gym and back?

I work out at home in the basement because it's much easier to slip downstairs for an hour than it is to drive, change, lift, change drive. If you think the gym will motivate you, though, go for it.

When I worked 3rd shift, I'd come home, do all my crap for the day all morning and go to bed around 2 or 3, then wake up at 10 to get ready for work. That way, even if you lift after work, it's no different than some one who works dayshift and waits till after work to lift.^^^^ this last statement ^^^^

Another reason I get up 2 hrs before I leave for work. I love working out in the mornings...or for you ...when I wake up.

Mathillas
01-01-2015, 09:23 AM
I feel you! I worked the same shift, 11pm-7am for almost 4 years! I am at a union shop so it took some time to build the seniority to get access to a better shift. I started at my job weight 192lbs and ballooned up to 319lbs in two years on that shift. I was just out of it. I could never get comfortable sleeping, so I was always tired and had to resort to sleeping pills.

You have to find a rhythm that works and stick to it. I chose to sleep at 8am-3pm and work out later and bought 3 sets of blackout curtains for my bedroom. Once you get into a good bio-rhythm the lifting and progress will get easy! It just takes time, perseverance and patience. You can do it!

robosphere
01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
I feel you! I worked the same shift, 11pm-7am for almost 4 years! I am at a union shop so it took some time to build the seniority to get access to a better shift. I started at my job weight 192lbs and ballooned up to 319lbs in two years on that shift. I was just out of it. I could never get comfortable sleeping, so I was always tired and had to resort to sleeping pills.

You have to find a rhythm that works and stick to it. I chose to sleep at 8am-3pm and work out later and bought 3 sets of blackout curtains for my bedroom. Once you get into a good bio-rhythm the lifting and progress will get easy! It just takes time, perseverance and patience. You can do it!

That is actually probably part of the root of your problem - sleep quality, which would be no surprise. It's tough to get good sleep when you're on an off-shift. The rest of the world is on a different schedule than you. People are louder, telemarketers call, even your friends can't seem to grasp that you might possibly sleeping while the sun is up ("Dude, did I wake you?").

Blackout curtains are a great investment, or a sleep mask (I make sleep masks out of sleeves from short sleeve black t-shirts and pull them down over my head and eyes). Earplugs and phone-ringer off if you don't have kids to worry about or possible emergencies, or if you do, get a white noise machine to play ocean-wave type sounds, which actually block out a lot of noise from the outside. Make sure people you know, friends and relatives know that calling you during the day outside of emergencies is a no-go.

If you get better sleep, you might feel a lot more motivated.

JerryB
01-01-2015, 09:55 AM
What's the problem of eating at work, workout after work, then going to sleep before you go to work again.
Appears you do not have a handle on your caloric intake rather than your body being confused.

Jayjoe
01-01-2015, 11:06 AM
SLEEP: make sure you have good light in your office/work area so you trick your body into thinking its daytime. And make sure when you go to bed its completely dark in the room. Take ZMA before you go to bed. Also try Altaril.

EAT: eat regular meals at regular times. Breakfeast and coffee before work. Lunch halfway through work. Dinner after work.

WORKOUT: force yourself to workout a few times per week. It will help you sleep and relax. If you didnt get much sleep dont workout heavy but still workout.

Maverick2015
01-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Workout 2 weekdays and one weekend day. Treat your schedule as if it were a normal day job and take a "lunch" to keep you going. It doesn't matter if you are inactive when you eat. It is the total calories you eat in the day, not when you eat them.

CHILDOFGO12
01-01-2015, 05:22 PM
my hubby works from 5am til 1:30pm, and we hit the gym, by 3pm dependin' on traffic, lol:) so this is is time for his day.
he's up by 3:45am, leaves for work at 4:20am, has his 1st shake at 6am, then his lunch at 9:30am, his 2nd shake at 1pm-before the gym while at work, and his meal after the gym, eggs at 6:30pm. it works for us:)

Keoking
01-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Fastest weight loss progress I ever made was when I was working 8pm to 7am, M-F, for 3 months.

brb off schedule and no one to drink/party with
brb only restaurants open during lunch time were unsafe that late at night; pack all my meals
brb hit the gym at 7am and I am the only guy in there

kconnell
01-01-2015, 05:49 PM
I worked nights and varied. They key is you will make time for YOU if YOU want it bad enough. I now workout in the morning. Yes a commercial gym can give you more motivation.

Good luck.

rundm
01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
I have worked shift work for yrs and it is hard to get motivated to workout after nights. You go home tired and all I want to do is go to bed. Just got to be where if I lift when I get home off of nights for an hour, I get to see my kid when he gets up. Something I was not able to do if I go sit in front of the tv, I would just fall asleep. Still tough to motivate yourself to get under a bar but it works for me. I get an hour or so by myself in the garage, see my boy get up and help him get dressed and then take my shower and go to bed. You just have to get yourself into a routine and you will start wanting to do it. Start off slow and work yourself into it. I try not to get into the real hvy stuff off nights because it tends to keep me up longer. I save those for daylights and days off. Hope this helps.

SleeperService
01-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Fastest weight loss progress I ever made was when I was working 8pm to 7am, M-F, for 3 months.

brb off schedule and no one to drink/party with
brb only restaurants open during lunch time were unsafe that late at night; pack all my meals
brb hit the gym at 7am and I am the only guy in there

This.

OP is making dem der excuses.

InternetTuffGuy
01-02-2015, 01:25 AM
I did nights and trained.....

Hell try 12 hour swing shifts. I'm typing this from my work computer during a 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM shift. Still plenty of time before having to go back in at 7:00 PM the following night.

mattyoc3
01-07-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm only 24 but when I changed jobs I struggled with this. My schedule rotates at work. 1 month of day shift, than evenings, than midnights. For 1 month each. It's awful because I can't get in a pattern. After a year of that I just got used to it. On day shift I workout right after work. On evenings and midnights I workout before work.

Just gotta put yourself in the mindset. Do ur workouts, eat healthy and eliminate the obviously crappy habits from ur diet/life and ull see great improvements.

MrGreenTea
01-07-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks,
HogRyder

How about:
9PM-10PM - Wake up, workout (the gym will be relatively empty)
10pm-11PM - Breakfast, go to work
1AM - In between meal #1
3AM - Small lunch
5AM - In between meal #2
7AM-8AM - Go home, eat dinner
8AM - 1PM - Do stuff
1PM - Bed

Voila!

tsoden
01-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Thanks,
HogRyder

I actually feel your pain... i took the whole summer off and had to quit my gym due to financial reasons and job loss. Things are on the upswing and I am trying to figure out a workout routine I can do at home now. Motivation has been a real b!tch though...

CHILDOFGO12
01-07-2015, 01:06 PM
HogRyder- i hope al the inputs, here, have helped u out:)

tank316
01-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Even after 16 hr work days I do something, cardio or weights, the weight session might be short and sweet, but at least its better then nothing.
You have to want it bad enough, you'll find a way. If not, then the excuses won.

Edman316
01-07-2015, 06:20 PM
You are going to have to get a lot lower than 180 lbs to get 9-11 % body fat.

I work 6-7 days a week at 5:00 AM.

I train on a 3 day split at night.

I sacrifice sleep to get my training in.

You got to want it enough to sacrifice to get there.

Good luck!

pharmamarketer
01-08-2015, 05:46 AM
You will need to figure out how to work around it. Every one of us has a bucket full of excuses. Suck it up buttercup

HogRyder
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys! I have been at it again for a about two weeks and I'm at 197 as of today. I have been eating four to five times a day but smaller portions. I still don't sleep well but I've got to work out!

fatboystick
01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
This pretty much says it all brotha.....do what works for you...for what you WANT ;)

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll414/fatboystick/Bodybuilding/10406811_10205909865767641_3212748093884582323_n.j pg (http://s314.photobucket.com/user/fatboystick/media/Bodybuilding/10406811_10205909865767641_3212748093884582323_n.j pg.html)

Rushie
01-14-2015, 06:42 AM
My advice would be to stop focusing on the numbers so much. Forget about how much you want to weigh or what % body fat you would want to be at. It's extremely likely you won't like yourself at your target BW (because you underestimate how much fat you still have to lose). It is also extremely likely that you don't really know how you would look like at 11% body fat. You have images in your head what that looks like but they come from others.

So stop chasing all these phantomnumbers and just focus on the process. Consistency in nutrition and training will bring about all the changes you want - it will just take a bit longer than you maybe want. But that is OK. You still have a lot of time left to improve. :)

thor93
01-14-2015, 01:36 PM
I work 6pm - 6am

I usually get up about 1pm, eat, leave for the gym just after 3pm, workout take a shower and head to work.
Get off at 6am, home and asleep by 6:30. Repeat.

Are you an Alien ? You didnt say what time you take a crap. : /