PDA

View Full Version : quick question for those of you who're lactose intolerant

Domicron
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
i can handle dairy okay, for someone who's lactose intolerant, meaning small amounts of dairy like sour cream and butter on a baked potato or a couple slices of pizza i can handle. a bowl of ice cream of a glass of milk, yeah no.

i have pills for when i want to sit down and eat a whole pizza, or creamy sauce or some ice cream, and i buy the lactose free milk that i've been drinking a lot of lately. the problem with the pills is when i want to drink a glass or two of milk, i don't trust them, and the lactose free milk is roughly 2x the cost of regular milk.

so do you guys who're lactose intolerant down a glass of milk with 2 pills? or have you guys tried the powdered or liquid lactase you can buy to treat a glass or even gallon of milk all at once?

i've even read a forum post by someone who uses lactose free milk to treat regular milk so that it's drinkable.

helps someone save a few pennies on 1-2 gallons of milk a week.

for those of you who are not lactose intolerant, but would like to post, you can talk about the best dish you've had lately that included eggs, which are often included with dairy but i don't understand why.

desslok
12-30-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I can handle a certain amount. And i've learned which foods i can tolerate more of. When i am really on top of it I make my own yogurt, if you let it ferment for 24 hours its virtually lactose free, whereas store bought is usually only fermented for a few hours. Hard/dry/aged cheeses i can eat quite a bit of. So sometimes i make my own pizzas with aged cheeses.

What i am getting at is that if i avoid lactose in everything else, i can have a glass of chocolate milk or bowl of cereal. If not then i have to deal with the repercussions. Emphasis on percussion.

Domicron
12-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I can handle a certain amount. And i've learned which foods i can tolerate more of. When i am really on top of it I make my own yogurt, if you let it ferment for 24 hours its virtually lactose free, whereas store bought is usually only fermented for a few hours. Hard/dry/aged cheeses i can eat quite a bit of. So sometimes i make my own pizzas with aged cheeses.

What i am getting at is that if i avoid lactose in everything else, i can have a glass of chocolate milk or bowl of cereal. If not then i have to deal with the repercussions. Emphasis on percussion.

oh i get it, but it's not the farts i'm worried about it. it's the defcon 5 cramps and diarrhea that i'd like to avoid...it seems like straight milk and ice cream, maybe because i consume more if each than i would normally other forms of dairy, that make it worse.

desslok
12-30-2014, 07:43 PM
oh i get it, but it's not the farts i'm worried about it. it's the defcon 5 cramps and diarrhea that i'd like to avoid...it seems like straight milk and ice cream, maybe because i consume more if each than i would normally other forms of dairy, that make it worse.

Yeah, i hear you. One thing i noticed is if i do have yogurt around the time i have milk i seem to tolerate the milk better. I haven't really tried the pills, just been controlling amount i drink. Maybe i should try the pills. When i was younger i was able to tolerate a gallon a day. As i've gotten older i tolerate less so just never got around to trying the pills.

kagenical
12-30-2014, 08:22 PM
I used to drink a liter of lactose free milk a day after workouts... I actually got into the best shape of my life doing that. The powder added to milk doesn't really work. Lactase works best around body temperature. It simply doesn't have enough time to cleave galactose from glucose in a cold glass of milk. I suppose if you pre-treated an entire gallon and let it sit for 4-5 days in the fridge, you'd be okay... But heaven forbid you mess up your labeling, and drink a whole bunch of untreated milk by accident!

For now, though, I just avoid dairy entirely. Like the plague. It's just not worth the cost, when other more filling or nutritious foods can be had for less than lactose free milk.

For protein shakes and such, I use almond milk.

Domicron
12-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah, i hear you. One thing i noticed is if i do have yogurt around the time i have milk i seem to tolerate the milk better. I haven't really tried the pills, just been controlling amount i drink. Maybe i should try the pills. When i was younger i was able to tolerate a gallon a day. As i've gotten older i tolerate less so just never got around to trying the pills.

i've heard that yogurt has enzymes or bacteria that help to break down lactose and thus alleviates the problems...maybe that's it. it's a shape i can't stand yogurt...

I used to drink a liter of lactose free milk a day after workouts... I actually got into the best shape of my life doing that. The powder added to milk doesn't really work. Lactase works best around body temperature. It simply doesn't have enough time to cleave galactose from glucose in a cold glass of milk. I suppose if you pre-treated an entire gallon and let it sit for 4-5 days in the fridge, you'd be okay... But heaven forbid you mess up your labeling, and drink a whole bunch of untreated milk by accident!

For now, though, I just avoid dairy entirely. Like the plague. It's just not worth the cost, when other more filling or nutritious foods can be had for less than lactose free milk.
For protein shakes and such, I use almond milk.

thanks. the problem with leaving it out is that it tastes so ****ing good. it tastes sweeter, which i assume is a byproduct of the sugars being broken down, but i dunno it's wonderful. i mean, i can afford 8 bucks a week for it, but i'm just thinking like a quart or half a gallon a day when i start bulking again might just be too easy, lol.

i would go with pills, but i'm just skeptical of 2 pills breaking down the sugar faster than my body being pissed that i drank that much lactose.