PDA

View Full Version : Partial Rotator Cuff tear; small tear in Labrum. What now?

kwitel
12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Just got my MRI results and im bugging out a bit here...

Am going back to see my Doc on Wednesday so will get my options but wanted to vent a little here first and here about others experiences.

Possible to recover from the above without surgery?

I stopped all pressing movements and wide grip pulls 6 weeks ago...

Jbizzlechizzle
12-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Am going back to see my Doc on Wednesday so will get my options but wanted to vent a little here first and here about others experiences.

I stopped all pressing movements and wide grip pulls 6 weeks ago...I don't believe this can heal properly on its own, but I have zero experience when it comes to this. I hope you have a good doctor that can give you a good plan moving forward. Hopefully, surgery can be avoided. This injury scares the crap out of me. I'm curious when you started feeling symptoms: What was the first sign that something might be wrong? What did your workout plan look like? How bad did it feel when you decided that you had to go to a doctor? I lift heavy (upper body) at least twice a week and do plenty of push and pull movements. My shoulders feel fine, but I'd like to know what to look out for.

sowilson
12-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Depends on what you mean by recover and what did you do to get the tear in the first place. At your age they may not recommend surgery. Non-surgical treatment will have you doing RC and AC joint exercises to build up the stabilizer muscles. This has the effect of tightening up the joint without tears healing. If you don't engage in collision sports or overhead throwing activities this may be just fine and work for you. If you play rugby, football, or hockey you're likely to reinjure yourself. As a thrower you'll probably experience a permanent decrease in velocity (javelin, volleyball spikes, baseball/softball throwing velocity) unless you have it repaired. So, the doctor should discuss what your goals are and from that develop a treatment plan. Either way, you're new sport is rehab for awhile.

kwitel
12-29-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't believe this can heal properly on its own, but I have zero experience when it comes to this. I hope you have a good doctor that can give you a good plan moving forward. Hopefully, surgery can be avoided. This injury scares the crap out of me. I'm curious when you started feeling symptoms: What was the first sign that something might be wrong? What did your workout plan look like? How bad did it feel when you decided that you had to go to a doctor? I lift heavy (upper body) at least twice a week and do plenty of push and pull movements. My shoulders feel fine, but I'd like to know what to look out for.

Honestly, it should scare the crap out of you.
I think its just years of flaring my shoulders too much during bench and overhead pressing movements and, dropping the weight too low on overheads.
The icing on the cake for me I think was flys; free, machine and cables.
Thats the last exercise that did me in and prompted me to stop doing chest altogether, 6 weeks ago.

TrueBLOOD1
12-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I have a small labral tear in my right shoulder after years of tennis, weightlifting, and competitive gymnastics. You don't really ever "recover" without surgery. I dealt with it as long as I could but eventually had a fluoroscopic guided cortisone shot in my shoulder joint to help reduce the inflammation. I was pain free for about a year before I would again have "flare ups" with some annoying pain. However, I've really been mindful of my form when lifting, altered my rest days and my routine slightly to deal with it and I really haven't had any ongoing pain that would require me to receive another shot or undergo surgery in about 3 years. I feel like I'm lifting pretty big and I feel like I'm not holding back or training around a constant injury all the time.

Brackneyc
12-29-2014, 06:08 PM
I had a full tear several years ago. Surgery was the only option if I ever wanted to lift my arm up to, or higher than my shoulder.

I made a full recovery, and OHP, bench and all other movements are done, and done heavy.

I have some titanium pins and other stuff going on in there, and I am fine. My understanding is that my type of surgery is now performed differently, but I am 100% satisfied with mine.

kwitel
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
I have a small labral tear in my right shoulder after years of tennis, weightlifting, and competitive gymnastics. You don't really ever "recover" without surgery. I dealt with it as long as I could but eventually had a fluoroscopic guided cortisone shot in my shoulder joint to help reduce the inflammation. I was pain free for about a year before I would again have "flare ups" with some annoying pain. However, I've really been mindful of my form when lifting, altered my rest days and my routine slightly to deal with it and I really haven't had any ongoing pain that would require me to receive another shot or undergo surgery in about 3 years. I feel like I'm lifting pretty big and I feel like I'm not holding back or training around a constant injury all the time.

Thanks for the info.
I think I need to run through all of my lifts with a PT in order to find out where exactly it is I am going wrong.
Im think of trying PRP therapy (Platelet Rich plasma). Have you heard of it?

61customrebuild
12-30-2014, 08:19 AM

I stopped all pressing movements and wide grip pulls 6 weeks ago...

Suggest big shift in your training regiment away from pushing weights (typically degenerative) to bodyweight suspension regiments. I do a lot of that, you can check out my vids. Will take working up to it, but you can probably quickly progress to one-arm hangs, which are IMO the best thing you can do for shoulder health, and it's a great upper body/core workout. I wouldn't even go back to your doctor until you tried this for a while, it would just be bad news on bad news. Good luck.

gbnpc
12-30-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't have the rotator cuff issue, but I have definitely been diagnosed with a labral tear in my left shoulder. The ortho MD knew I lift and gave me the following options: Stop lifting, have surgery with a long recovery, or workout differently & smarter. Not lifting was not an option & with me still competing in men's physique, surgery was out of the question too. So, I opted to workout differently & learn what caused pain & what didn't. I had to completely rework my routine, modifying certain lifts, especially with chest, to make sure I had as little pain as possible. I had to drop the weight I lifted for a while until I got used to form that helped lessen the pain, but now a year out, I'm lifting pretty much at original weight. I do take ibuprofen every so often if my shoulder is having a particularly painful day and have also had incredible results from taking Joint Rehab from All American EFX. Most days I'm about at pain free!

kwitel
12-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't have the rotator cuff issue, but I have definitely been diagnosed with a labral tear in my left shoulder. The ortho MD knew I lift and gave me the following options: Stop lifting, have surgery with a long recovery, or workout differently & smarter. Not lifting was not an option & with me still competing in men's physique, surgery was out of the question too. So, I opted to workout differently & learn what caused pain & what didn't. I had to completely rework my routine, modifying certain lifts, especially with chest, to make sure I had as little pain as possible. I had to drop the weight I lifted for a while until I got used to form that helped lessen the pain, but now a year out, I'm lifting pretty much at original weight. I do take ibuprofen every so often if my shoulder is having a particularly painful day and have also had incredible results from taking Joint Rehab from All American EFX. Most days I'm about at pain free!

Thanks for your response.

Can you share what exactly you changed? or which changes in particular made the most difference(s)?