PDA

View Full Version : Please advise - Vegetarian Indian diet + possible work out plans

Strange7410
12-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I've been creeping around the forums for a few months now. I'm sorry if there exists a recent thread on this very topic. I've read in a few threads that very old threads to be not bumped so here's a new one.

So my story - in short,

As a young kid and a teenager, I was quite skinny and probably underweight. Around last two years of college I started putting on weight - not purposefully but it just happened. I had never cared enough about working out, diets etc. I ate whatever that came my way.

About couple of years ago I started being unhappy about the way I looked. In short, big body skinny arms. Being careless, I didn't do anything until about 4 months ago.

I was ~170 pounds and absolutely hated the way I looked. I started going to the gym but saw no results for the first month. Then I decided to just focus on losing weight. Through skipping meals and sometimes starving I'm at ~145 pounds now.

I'm 5' 7", ~145 pounds, medium shoulders, 24 years of age. Got a belly and handles.

I read a lot about building muscles - maybe more than I should have. About 80% of the information told me to eat as much as I could and bulk up to enhance muscle growth. The problem is that if I start eating more, I'll gain fat very quickly. I know this because while losing the 25 pounds, I had spurts where I gave up and put on 5 pounds in a couple of days.

so the question is, what should I eat? and how much of it? I'm vegetarian and Indian. For lunch I can eat/not eat whatever but for dinner I usually eat whatever mom makes (Indian food, Gujarati to be specific). I'd say a proper dinner is between 700-1000 calories). I don't eat breakfast or have regular snacking time. for past 3-4 months, I've skipped about 50% of lunches and about 80% of any snacking.

I've been going to the gym for about a couple of months now and just working on skinny arms. I went from 11 inches to 12.5 inches. I know that's really skinny by any standards but I'm willing to work on it. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I'm interested in building lean muscle with muscles clearly showing cuts and not bulk up too much. I'm a newbie at this so any advise is appreciated.

Goals by priority,
1. Bigger arms & Abs (I've always wanted nice abs and muscular arms)
2. Shoulders
3. Chest
4. Thighs, Legs

Strange7410
12-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Over 120 views on the worlds best bodybuilding site over 3 days and no replies. I mught as we'll give up now

bencarr95
12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Gaining five pounds in only a couple of days is most likely due to your glycogen stores filling and extra water retention from a higher sodium intake, not actual fat. Additionally, when severely restricting calorie intake, your metabolism will slow and you will gain fat more easily when eating more. This can be reversed simply by eating more though.

If you don't want to add a lot of fat, ten only eat slightly over maintenance. Don't gorge yourself. Also, you need to be lifting. Aim to hit the gym 3-6 times a week for at least 30 or 45 minutes. There are plenty of stickied threads on beginner and intermediate routines.

As for diet, being a vegetarian shouldn't be a problem. I'm vegan and have done pretty well I'd say. Eat mostly whole foods. Go with whole grain, and maybe see if your parents will cook brown rice. Eat a lot of veggies, beans, lentils, and possibly a protein powder if your legume intake isn't very high.

Your body can't really build muscle and burn fat at the same time so well, so to start I'd eat a bit under maintenance BUT DON'T STARVE YOURSELF! Lift throughout this period so that you will maintain muscle and maybe even build if you're new to training. After you're at a happy level of body fat, then you can work more on building.

Also, be realistic with your goals. The men's physique athletes you see stepping on stage are juiced up, and even then, only that lean around competition time. Maintaining that level of body fat is unattainable and unhealthy for most.

mike8190
01-02-2015, 06:27 PM
what do you mean for lunch you can eat/not eat whatever? do you mean you're only vegetarian at dinner time because you eat what your mom cooks?
can you cook for yourself?
Can you eat milk/dairy? if so maybe purchase a high quality/grassfed whey protein. If not I believe hemp is the best plant sourced protein.
I really think most bodybuilders/people trying to get big and lean severely overestimate protein and food consumption in general. Protein is obviously essential but one thing to remember is that these guys are on drugs which essentially helps them make the most of the foods they consume. which I think is why you see some of them grow with horrible diets consisting largely of junk food. As a natural I think you'll be fine eating lots of whole foods and just trying out different things for a few weeks at a time to see what works well for you. Eat nuts like almonds, and higher protein whole grains like quinoa and like the poster above said, legumes and beans as well. But this is all coming from a meat eater hehe. Just do some research I'm sure there's plenty of vegetarians/vegans who get in great shape. If anything you're going to be healthier avoiding meat protein as long as the rest of your diet is in check.